Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pics: Got "True" Duals Installed Today - No X, Y, or H Pipe!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
OMG..yes i said that as a complete joke! i didnt think anyone was actually going to take me seriously on such a thing.

Also good to know about the even firing engines being OK with this. Like i said i wasnt sure if it would be different for you guys
Yessir! and I'm glad that you showed concern about the whole "divorced duals" as I'm sure some guy in a GT has already done this and warped his valves all to **** lol....I've heard of this happening locally actually....sad day.

It's always better to have too much knowledge out there than not enough!
Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

So are you saying I'm good as is or I should get an H or X pipe?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
So are you saying I'm good as is or I should get an H or X pipe?
You're fine sir

But an H pipe will make it sound deeper and rumbly'er....and an X will be slightly louder and raspier than the H....more exotic if you will.
You won't hear much of a difference between divorced duals and an X...but the H is DEF. Deeper!

It's all a matter of sound opinion on even firing sixxers ya know!

Opinion being the key word.....I personally like the deeper ssounds of the H pipe so that's why I have had H's on all my stangs!
Old 01-28-2010, 12:41 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

You have a very good setup that will only get better as you add supporting mods. You will not have any problems with the Valves cooling and will not fail at any mile unless you run open manifolds, which of course no one would ever do.

As for a driveshaft I suggest going to PST and buying one of their Carbon Fiber driveshafts. Its the best of the best and does not require a driveshaft loop as it will turn to fibers if it drops and will not flip the car.

To give you an idea, there is an old review of it somewhere with a 97' GT in stock form, the guy gained 12RWHP, not bad seeing how the engine only makes 215hp. Now this doesnt add power to the engine, it just helps get more power to the ground that was getting wasted in turning the heavy stock DS.

Last edited by NeoTokyo; 01-28-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:02 AM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
You have a very good setup that will only get better as you add supporting mods. You will not have any problems with the Valves cooling and will not fail at any mile unless you run open manifolds, which of course no one would ever do.

As for a driveshaft I suggest going to PST and buying one of their Carbon Fiber driveshafts. Its the best of the best and does not require a driveshaft loop as it will turn to fibers if it drops and will not flip the car.

To give you an idea, there is an old review of it somewhere with a 97' GT in stock form, the guy gained 12RWHP, not bad seeing how the engine only makes 215hp. Now this doesnt add power to the engine, it just helps get more power to the ground that was getting wasted in turning the heavy stock DS.
Even IF you dropped the driveshaft at a super high RPM on even the torque'y'est motor.....the moment of inertia would simply not be enough to flip the car....especially not with as low of a center of gravity mustangs have.....it's would simply break to pieces before that.....EVEN IF it were to catch on something in the road...it would simply break a ton of crap before it could ever flip the car.
You are far more likely to roll the car by losing control from being startled by the break or by driving at high speeds and losing control than the aforementioned.....it's a Physics improbability: there is simply not enough mass or torque to flip a car over with a piece of metal that would simply break before it could create a big enough moment of inertia to flip the low cent vehicle.

So there is no reason to fear flipping Dave:
that being said...it's much better for a DS to shred to pieces than to turn the underside of your car to shrapnel....lol

just my .02
Old 01-28-2010, 01:07 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

buy a frakking loop...they are cheap insurance!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:53 AM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
buy a frakking loop...they are cheap insurance!
yes .....yes they are

and they are not expensive either!

I dunno....as much as I overthink things.....this is not one of those things lol
Old 01-28-2010, 07:39 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kona6Stang10
it's much better for a DS to shred to pieces than to turn the underside of your car to shrapnel....lol
Is this possibility (the driveshaft dropping) the reason for the stock two-piece? How common is a driveshaft falling out with stock-ish levels of power?

BTW Zach, the pic in your sig is very nicely done!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:07 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
...does not require a driveshaft loop as it will turn to fibers if it drops and will not flip the car.

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/03/m..._portapot.html
Old 01-28-2010, 08:55 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kona6Stang10
You're fine sir

But an H pipe will make it sound deeper and rumbly'er....and an X will be slightly louder and raspier than the H....more exotic if you will.
You won't hear much of a difference between divorced duals and an X...but the H is DEF. Deeper!

It's all a matter of sound opinion on even firing sixxers ya know!

Opinion being the key word.....I personally like the deeper ssounds of the H pipe so that's why I have had H's on all my stangs!
Thanks for the info! If an H will make it deeper then I'm all about it. Should I get the shop to fabricate one or should I buy one and have them install it? I'm not sure how the fitment would be if I bought one (size, spacing, etc.)

Quick Reply: Pics: Got "True" Duals Installed Today - No X, Y, or H Pipe!