Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4.0 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Bobarian91

Well, I'm not looking to spend thousands on this motor I'm just looking for some extra power so I'm thinkin I'll try to find some headers, dual exhaust system, and get a computer tune. I WILL be upgrading the rear end and everything as well, but like I said I'm gonna be havin to save up for a while before the swap.

I was planning on 3.73 gears and I want wider tires on it too. Not a fan of the stockers anyway, I'm hopin to get some gun-metal GT wheels for it. I'm assuming I'll also need to get a custom driveshaft made since it wont be a stock tranny goin in, and it'll be chevy anyway but that'll be later. As for the 4.0 I'll just start lookin into headers (which I'm hoping actually do exist for this thing) and dual exhaust and go from there. Is it realistic to get maybe 275 BHP out of this thing without doing major mods?

Last edited by Bobarian91; 02-04-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:31 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

bhp? maybe if you do pretty much every bolt on. i dont understand how you havent found headers or exhaust pieces yet. theyre everywhere.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:47 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Yea seriously, You can even find LT for the 4.0 if you wanted them.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:50 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

jba headers:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/jba-sh...rs-0509v6.html

some exhausts:
http://search.americanmuscle.com/sea...6_dual_exhaust
Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 PM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

If you have the know-how to do a ls2 swap(why bother), you should be able to figure out what to do to a V6.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:56 PM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

if your going to do a engine swap then my 2 cents would be to change the 7.5 rear end to a 8.8 with a new set of gears (3.73 or 4.10s ) and t- lock....

but honestly if your gonna go with a chevy motor....buy the chevy when u change over your will have to buy a new motor new computer and trans also guessing you've plotted some way to make it fit......

i have heard of some people running a small block chevy in a fox body mustang but that was before the cars where so computer driven....

anyways gluck with whcih ever direction you go
Old 02-05-2010, 12:49 AM
injen07
1st Gear Member

True that. I have the Diablo Tune, AFE cold air intake, and Flowmaster single exhaust. I'm liking the performance of my Mustang so far, but want more! By the way, does it make a difference if you install a cold air intake tune, for example, the K&N tune over the 93 octane tune? I'm guessing it does, but noticed that those tunes were there. Is it safe to take off the speed limiter? Has anybody had any problems with that? I have an automatic and was thinking of getting a torque converter. I've heard it helps out a lot in start offs and what not, but will it also help out in acceleration at higher gears? I've seen some for about 499.99 with what's the average labor cost for you all? Has anybody else seen torque converters cheaper else where? I'm going to have probably around 700 bones to spends, but don't know what mods you all would recommend. I want to get dual exhaust, but muffler shop recommended I get the GT bumper, which hasn't been that cheap online. Thinking about going to the junk yard, never know what I'll find there. Any suggestions?
@ Ward Spratlin-that's a crazy Mustang, never seen anything like it. There's a lot of nice looks Mustangs in this forum by the way.
Thanks
Old 02-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Bobarian91

oh yeah, dopnt worry I found headers and everything...
I know i'll end up having to do a LOT of fabricating to get the motor to fit, but I'm up for it. I may end up popping just a modded LS1. Basically I'd find a donor Camaro and use everything out of it. Computer, transmission, probably have to use the guages, etc.
I'm not new to the car game, just pretty new to the whole computer controlled game. That and I've only ever owned Chevys. Now for the swap I was planning on just doing basic mods to the motor but thats not the 4.0....
So, basically what I'm lookin at for the 4.0 is... headers, dual exhaust, cold air intake, computer tune (obviously), probably a new throttle body... anything I'm missin?
I needa get used to this idea of a V6. I'm used to V8s although I suppose its not much different. more of the fact that it's not one of the old engines that you could tear apart with 3 open-box wrenches
Old 02-05-2010, 01:11 PM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by injen07
@ Ward Spratlin-that's a crazy Mustang, never seen anything like it. There's a lot of nice looks Mustangs in this forum by the way.
Thanks
haha yea thats why i got this body kit....i wanted to be a little different from everyone else
Old 02-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Bobarian91

Originally Posted by NuclearMuscle523
If you have the know-how to do a ls2 swap(why bother)....
I would bother because The LS line makes as much (or more) power and has better efficiency than the Mustang powerplants. Not to mention, far too many ppl here say that their worst car has been a Mustang with some sort of V8 powerplant, so why not keep the body styling and get the extra kick from an LS1 or an LS2?

Last edited by Bobarian91; 02-05-2010 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.0 Mods