Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Adding power to my 2010 v6 w/o voiding warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:11 AM
mcstang12
1st Gear Member

Default Adding power to my 2010 v6 w/o voiding warranty

Hello everyone. im new to MF (today lol) and i just purchased my first mustang about a month ago. its a 2010 mustang v6 pony package kona blue. im looking to add a lil more power to it. im thinking a cold air intake and a true dual exhaust. for the exhaust i think i'm going to go with the flowmasters american thunder with a H pipe or the magnaflow cat-back for v6 with the y. looking for a deep muscle car sound with no-minimal drone. which do you guys think is better? for the cold air intake, if i add one and install it, would it void my warranty? if i go cats back for exhaust does it keep my warranty? im also thinking about adding the HID kit from here http://www.stangmods.com/Mustang-HID...ge-p/00157.htm and will this void my warranty?

i know its a lot of questions but im curious of how i can make my stang even better without getting into trouble with the warranty.

so any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks
Old 02-15-2010, 12:32 AM
SeeingRed
1st Gear Member

Congrats on your purchase and welcome. I'm new too as of today.

Helping your car inhale more air and exhale better is always a good idea and the best place to start. According to the Magnusson/Moss Act, the only time your vehicle warranty will be void is if a malfunction with your vehicle can be traced to the modification being the culprit of the malfunction. If you do your exhaust and a tie rod end goes bad, your entire warranty is still in tact. This is stretching it, but if you put the cold air setup on your car and your car throws a code for being too lean and Ford can trace it back to your cold air intake being one of the causes for it, then they will not repair it under warranty. Make sense?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 AM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Yes what he says is true^ Also if purchase FRPP parts and have ford do the install, they wont void your warranty and they will actually cover the new parts also. However they dont make a CAI for the 2010 but they do make exhaust and tuners. I am actually may be looking to get rid of my FRPP tuner. If your interested email me abragg112@aol.com. You just have to pay Ford something like $40 to upload the tune and you will get a 3 year warranty on it. It is a mild tune but its also half the price of other tuners and keeps your warranty.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:54 AM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

Realistically, true duals won't get you much horsepower, if any, unless you are running forced induction.
I kept the single exhaust and went with a flow through Borla muffler, cause I like the Borla sound and it flows nice with my CAI.
If I was going dual I would look into the Borla S-type mufflers for the Mustang GT. They sound Awesome (IMO) at WOT.
But I haven't heard any setup that makes the 4.0 sound like a muscle car. They can be made to sound good, but they don't have that mellow burble of a V8.

That's my opinion. Everybody is different though. Do lots of research before you buy. Listen to as many sound clips as you can find.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:58 AM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Cai & tune will wake it up, u can always return it to stock if u have a major issue with warranty. Gears is one of the best bank 4 the buck mods.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:13 AM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Gears will void your warranty to, powertrain, I checked.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:09 PM
SeeingRed
1st Gear Member

It will only void your warranty if something goes wrong because of the gears. I highly encourage you to read the Magnusson/Moss Act. And installing gears would never void your entire warranty...it'd really only void the warranty on the rear end if something went wrong. Installing one modification will NEVER void an entire warranty. Like I said, read the Magnusson/Moss Act. I had a problem with my Mach that I used to have. I had 4.30 gears in it. I had a transmission problem (was a TSB) and Ford tried to screw me out of repairing my car under warranty. After some research, I went back, barked at them about this Act, and got my car fixed. It's made to protect the consumer.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:51 PM
mcstang12
1st Gear Member

thanks everyone for the advice. i want to get duals cuz thats what a mustang needs, two mufflers. borla s-type muffler seem to be too loud for what i want.

so if i buy a cold air intake system say from AIRAID and get ford to custom tune it, it will not effect my warranty?

for the gears im thinking or getting the ford racing traction-loc for V6. get both wheels spinning.

i and maybe some others really need to check out this Magnusson/Moss Act that SeeingRed has mentioned
Old 02-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Jebmustangv6
2nd Gear Member

I just talked to parts and service today about a trac lock for the 7.5 anda ring and pinion. FRPP makes the T-loc but not a Ring and Pinion. motive gear makes a R&G but its not a ford part so no warrenty on the R&G but the trac lock is a warrenty Item if purchased and installed by ford dealer.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:08 PM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mcstang12
thanks everyone for the advice. i want to get duals cuz thats what a mustang needs, two mufflers. borla s-type muffler seem to be too loud for what i want.

so if i buy a cold air intake system say from AIRAID and get ford to custom tune it, it will not effect my warranty?

for the gears im thinking or getting the ford racing traction-loc for V6. get both wheels spinning.

i and maybe some others really need to check out this Magnusson/Moss Act that SeeingRed has mentioned
I'm still working on the Sherman anti-trust act of 1890.
And no, your Mustang does not NEED duals, you WANT duals. Which is fine, but from a performance perspective you are adding weight and possibly losing torque if you are not careful.
Shor look pretty though.

Quick Reply: Adding power to my 2010 v6 w/o voiding warranty