Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 X-Charger or Vortech HO? Advantage between gear driven and twin screw?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

it may seem like im leaning towasrds vortec but im trying to stay nuetral so i can hear both evenly, the reason i prob sound like im leaning towards vortec is just cause i planed on that for longer so i know a little more about them.

and its funny you mentioned the Hi-Po and then swapping the parts out when it comes time for smog cause in daves email he said that to me. i think chances are i will go with the x-charger hi po, then in time buy the intercooler. i work at a cheveron with an autoshop so im chill with the autoshop guys, so hopefully they could pass me for a couple bucks if not just my friendship and the ability to have the honor of touching my mustang

where did you guys buy your x-charger and how much? i think steeda has theirs for $4400. anybody know a place for cheaper? the advantage to buying the X-charger is that i dont have to decide satin or polished so easy choice.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:44 AM
killdar
2nd Gear Member

get it straight from the source explorer express
id wait and save if u want the intercooler, youd have to do all that work taking the unit off and on again, in the meantime nomatter what you do u should prob get an aluminum driveshaft, or make sure your ujoints have clips
Old 02-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

wel c, saving up 6K? might as well just save up and get a turbo charger. 6K is alot for me to afford. when summer rolls around il see how much i have and where to go from there.

what are te differences over the 3.0 pulley and the 2.8? the 3.0 does 6-7 psi whereas the 2.8 does 10-11 psi. and its only like a $25 difference. why would somebody prefer the 3.0 over the 2.8? besides maybe gas milage i dont know why you wouldnt.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

haha... the smog test CA spec swap FTW!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by killdar
get it straight from the source explorer express
id wait and save if u want the intercooler, youd have to do all that work taking the unit off and on again, in the meantime nomatter what you do u should prob get an aluminum driveshaft, or make sure your ujoints have clips
What's the benefit to having an aluminum drive shaft? Is it lighter, thus freeing up more HP for rear wheel use?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Biceps
What's the benefit to having an aluminum drive shaft? Is it lighter, thus freeing up more HP for rear wheel use?
thats exactly the point, i want to say the aluminums are 16lbs and the stock are 30+ theres a noticable feel difference to.

and killdar i am planning on getting an alumin ds, and 8.8 rear with 4.10 gears, and much much more but those are simple day tasks, and if i buy those now i wont be able to buy my blower by the summer, and if i dont get my blower by the summer then i dont know the next time i can have it installed, prob in the winter, my combo of school, work, and girlfriend makes my mustang essential to getting around.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

how does your guys x-chargers compare throughout your rpms? you guys say it builds boost around 2500, but am i still going to be feeling a big difference in power in the 4K range? or does it begin to level out? are x-chargers mostly for low rpm's? i probably shift on average around 3500-3750pms's cause i want to know that if i wanted to keep going after that if the blowers power will still be there. In a race would i want to keep my rpms in the mid range rather then higher rpms like i would a vortech?

Last edited by Red Beast; 02-25-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Beast
how does your guys x-chargers compare throughout your rpms? you guys say it builds boost around 2500, but am i still going to be feeling a big difference in power in the 4K range? or does it begin to level out? are x-chargers mostly for low rpm's? i probably shift on average around 3500-3750pms's cause i want to know that if i wanted to keep going after that if the blowers power will still be there. In a race would i want to keep my rpms in the mid range rather then higher rpms like i would a vortech?
The "X" pulls nicely all the way to redline
Old 02-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
The "X" pulls nicely all the way to redline
Which is exactly why I am going with the X. I want that extra pull/torque no matter where I am in the rpm band.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:27 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

You want an aluminium DS for safety. There seems to be alot of happy customers for the x. Its hard to beat the torque down low. Thats the battle i'm fighting right now with sizing the turbo for my build. If your strapped for cash you can piece a turbo together over time like I did.

I did not realize turbo's were illegal in cali. Why....?

Quick Reply: V6 X-Charger or Vortech HO? Advantage between gear driven and twin screw?