Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

To all you V6 racers- a question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:46 AM
v6motorheadftop
2nd Gear Member

a lot of reasons people mod the v6 cars is to be different. I have a 99 fbody and I can tell you there are plenty of them down into the mid 10s, with 3 of them under 10 sec. One guy has his vette as his dd and has a 97 v6 camaro withh 700+ rwhp. It's not the fact that the v8s start off with more power, it's the ability to be different
Old 03-15-2010, 11:06 AM
dopeboifrsh12

I bought my v6 because I originally just wanted a convertible and wasn't really concerned about horsepower at the time. Now that I've got into cars more and I want a little more hosepower I'm looking to x-charge. I could trade in and get a GT but then I have to get back into insurance, credit score, dealer negotiations, etc..

I'm not looking to take mine to the track or having a di** measuring contest with any other cars. I bought/drive my car for my preferences and always will
Old 03-15-2010, 11:38 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

I bought the 2010 V6 base model, not because I couldn't afford the V8, but because I really didn't like the looks. I think the GT badges look cheap, the fogs on the '10 look way too big, and the black chrome pony against a black grill didn't look good to me. I bought a mustang because its a mustang.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:37 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

"Why did you buy a V6 and not a <insert bigger engine here>"

Everyone has a their own reason for buying the V6. Either insurance, availability, cost, etc. Let us point out a few facts.

1.) The price difference between a new V6 premium, and a new GT premium is not 5k, it is $8,500 dollars. (per Ford's website).

2.) Trading in a car that you will take a hit financially just to upgrade to a V8 is not a wise decision.

3.) Not everyone purchased a Mustang for modding, racing, etc. But after owning one realized the potential and decided to improve on their purchase. See fact #2 for the "why not trade it in".

There are more I could post, but let's just break down some of that $8500 difference.

Rims/Tires - $1750
x-charger - $4200
8.8 w/ gears - $800
dual exhaust - $500
springs & damps. - $800
alum. driveshaft - $500
-----------------------
Total - $8550

And that is going with some of the upper cost parts, you can get exhaust cheaper, rims/tires cheaper, etc.

Now you have a V6 that is faster than the GT, looks better (rims/tires, springs) handles better, and is unique with a supercharger whine. You sacrafice the V8 rumble for the supercharger whine.

And I don't know, maybe it is just me, but I seem to take a whole lot more pride in my modded V6 than I would a stock V8, because I did all the mods myself.

But... the ultimate question is... Will YOU be happy with a modded V6? If not, don't invest any money, take the hit and go buy a V8.

I know I love my V6, and the only way I would change it is if I swapped out the engine myself.

*Disclaimer: my comparisons were based on NEW v6 premiums, vs v8 premiums, similiarly equipped. Yes you can go buy a used GT for less than a new v6, but not everyone wants an abused, used car.*
Old 03-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

I've had both, my first was a 2006 v6 and now i have an 07 gt....I think that people can be happy with either car, I personally love my gt and would never go back, but I miss my v6 sometimes (it had a gt body). The gt sounds so sick, that's probably my favorite thing about the v8, besides the added power. V6's are still pretty quick tho, can't wait for the new one
Old 03-15-2010, 06:01 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

and if u want a gt sound down the road u could get a cam
but that isnt cheap lol
Old 03-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
and if u want a gt sound down the road u could get a cam
but that isnt cheap lol
No sir you could get CAMS...not a cam lol

and it will still sound like a six
but
it'll sound like an angry six
Old 03-16-2010, 03:47 AM
v6motorheadftop
2nd Gear Member

just too add another point, yo need to add on taxes for the extra 8.5k, along with the extra fees dealers may charge
Old 03-18-2010, 05:13 PM
BAMFingOh10
1st Gear Member

First of all congrats on your purchase - hope you're enjoying your car. I am getting my pony geared up for a long ownership with the occasional visit to the track.

First off, don't worry about the corporate talk about what the new "300" HP V6 boasts in power. If you read the specs, its TQ (especially) and HP are measured at much, much higher RPMs than our big boy 6.

If you want the cheapest way to burn your adversaries, get the following:

Cold air intake
SCT X3 Tuner - 93 octane tune, advance timing and shift points if automatic)
Lower control arms (aka Steeda Stop the Hop pack)

As for things like braces and bars, it will depend on how long you want to keep the car and how much power you're EVER going to want to make.

I think a driveshaft would be a big money waster at this stage. It does make the car quicker since it's so much less weight transferring accurate torque to the rack, but it does not make the car faster.

A bigger rear, howe'er has benefits that are real, that's for sure. If you want to upgrade gears, I suggest also upgrading rears. It will put more torque to the ground and toughen up your ride.

The only things I've done so far to my 2010 are a CAI, tune, and an axleback, which I also recommend since it sounds so much better than the suitcase stock muffler. In the coming weeks I will get my lowering springs installed, with new lower tie rods (IMO a must when lowering), front arm relocation kit, adj. panhard rod, G trac brace, 3 point frame rail/TQ box brace, lower control arms, strut tower brace (I don't recommend this needs adj./mod. to work on V6), and shorty headers. Should not have lost my license this many times, cause man would it've been fun to see the looks on their faces in the rearview.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Pyremind

^Very interesting... so you're saying that the claim of the new V6 being 300hp as opposed to our 210 beast has been overstated using some technique with RPM's when they go to measure? Am I understanding that right?

I admit the 2011 announcement has plagued me somewhat (as I'm sure it has many) "If only I'd waited one more year!" ect. ect. I admit I've even considered trading up to the new V6, on the off chance that that's cheaper than X-charging, but I havn't crunched those numbers yet.

Quick Reply: To all you V6 racers- a question