Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 PM
himynameislorenzo

Default CAI question

I'm new to customizing and performance upgrades, but I've heard that CAI is a good place to start. I've been doing a lot of research over the past few months, and I'm considering a K&N FIPK for now (no tunes for now, too expensive). But over the past couple days, I've been reading over some other forum discussions about how if you're getting a CAI for a V6, you're really just paying for the brand name, that "eBay" CAIs (that are a fraction of the price of name brands) are just as good. Any credibility to this? Because if so, I'd consider looking around eBay sellers instead of name brand.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

id avoid a ebay cai.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A stand-alone CAI on an S197 is a waste. You might gain 3-4 RWHP which is only noticeable if you have a well-calibrated butt dyno. Save your money and get a CAI & tune combo where you can feel the difference. The CAI gains more from the tune and is STILL only about 20% of the power adder. The tune is what really puts it all in perspective.

And if you had REALLY done your research you'd know that. It's plastered all over the forums.

Last edited by Nuke; 03-15-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:54 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Most "cheapbay" CAI are just for looks, that's why they are cheap. If they don't cause you to throw a code, they won't make any improvements without a tune.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I highly recommend a tune/CAI combo. I purchased the Airaid CAI, which does not require a tune, however once I installed it I only felt minimal gains at high RPMS. Maybe 5-7 HP.

I recently purchased a SCT X3 tuner with 3 custom tunes from Brenspeed and uploaded the tune this past Friday. All I have to say is, "WOW what a HUGE difference in HP and torqe" in the low RPM range. It was instant power and my exhaust and CAI are a good bit louder too!

CAI/TUNE = WIN WIN!!!

Good luck to you!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

And if you get the BBK, it WILL throw a check engine light after about 2 weeks. I had mine cleared but its making my motor run too lean, I have a tuner on my list next....
Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Remember, you get what you pay for. Save up and go for a name brand if you can, JLT, C&L, Steeda etc. with a tune. I'd say about 75% of the power is from the tune.

I originally couldn't afford a CAI/Tune combo at the time, and was going to just get the ~$200 BBK intake that doesn't require a tune. After thinking about it, risking a check engine light and running lean isn't worth the extra 3-4RWHP and going cheap. So I saved up, got a JLT & a tune and haven't looked back.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:15 PM
himynameislorenzo

Thanks for all the advice. I probably will end up holding out longer and getting a CAI/tune combo. Seems to the be the better choice for the long run.

Anyone had any experience with FRPP's CAI/tune combo? Just randomly came across one today for a pretty decent price compared to other CAI combos I've seen, and it had some good reviews from users. It was about $425 I think, comes with their CAI and ProCal tuner, and I was just wondering how Ford's own parts matched up against aftermarkets.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:29 PM
himynameislorenzo

Here's the link to it:

http://www.stangmods.com/M-9603-V605...ke-p/00053.htm
Old 03-17-2010, 12:25 AM
kenny17
2nd Gear Member

Id hold out a little more and save for either a bama or brenspeed CAI combo. There tunes are going to be way better from what I here. Also VMP tuning has a CAI combo for $499 I think

Quick Reply: CAI question