Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HELP! Heartbroken, 05 Vert Engine dead at 39K

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 PM
RLowIndy

Default HELP! Heartbroken, 05 Vert Engine dead at 39K

I got a "new" to me Mustang Convertible on Cristmas Eve. I found it on eBay at Drexel Hill Nissan in PA. I called to ask questions and they offered to run financing. When I was approved, they took it off eBay and sent me the paperwork. I was not offered a warranty and bought it as is.

It came to Indianapolis on Christmas Eve. I drove it to Cinci from Indy (about 250m) and then about another 50 miles around town, but it sat in the garage most of the rest of winter. It is in MINT condition, has the rd leather interior and Shaker 500 system. It's bone stock.

And the dealership somehow dropped the ball and I did not get the plates until March 4th. I put the plate on on March 5th and went to get my sons. It was runnung lean it seemed, but I never got it over 40 mph. This was baout 3 miles. When I went to restart it it barely started. I got it home and parked it. The next morning I went to see if it would start, the engine light came on, I had it towed to a dealer.

It needs a NEW engine! They thing the timing chain and or gears broke. They say one whole babk is out, 3 cyleinders on the right side have no compression. I cantacted the dealership that sold the car and they say they have no responsibilty. I contact Ford Consumer affairs and they say they can't help.

Ford wants $5800 to do the job. A few local shops have estimated $3600 to $4700.

J drove this thing less than 300 miles!

I don;t know what to do. I have contacted the BBB but have not heard back. I will be contacting the PA Atty General Monday. In the meantime, I have made 3 payments on a car i have not even gotten to drive. any help or suggestions are welcome.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:41 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

You can find a good used motor on Ebay or on most of the forums for under a grand and have a local shop do the install if you can't do it your self. Good luck and sorry to hear about your trouble.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:13 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

^ i agree with beaustang, that would be the cheapest option for u. chances are u won't get any help and will have to pay all out of pocket, so ebay motor and local shop install is what i'd do in your case. $5800 is ridiculous, damn stealership
Old 03-19-2010, 11:20 PM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

I think this is a sign. Time to go 5.4L V8.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:30 AM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Talk to the local shops about what they can do, and what it will cost. Compare that to what the Ford dealer can do. Don't just go by price - you did that once already, and that didn't turn out well.

Never buy a car sight unseen, and without warrenty. That's what's commonly called "A pig in a poke". You made a big mistake, and now you're paying for it. If you had a simple 90 warrenty (which many dealers offer), you'de be safe. But, sorry, now you're hosed. Chalk it up as a life lesson.

Good decisions come from experiance. Experiance comes from bad decisions.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:33 AM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear your troubles, thats a real bummer. A 05 is well out of factory warranty. What is it you want the dealership to do? You had it shipped in from a different state with no background on the vehicle. You probably signed a paper stating the car was purchased as is, you really can't go back on that. Unless you can somehow prove the dealership knew there was something wrong with this vehicle you are screwed. Save your time and everyone else's time and move forward. I don't see how the dealership or anyone else is responsible in this case. It's a tough hit but thats life. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by brutedawg20
Sorry to hear your troubles, thats a real bummer. A 05 is well out of factory warranty. What is it you want the dealership to do? You had it shipped in from a different state with no background on the vehicle. You probably signed a paper stating the car was purchased as is, you really can't go back on that. Unless you can somehow prove the dealership knew there was something wrong with this vehicle you are screwed. Save your time and everyone else's time and move forward. I don't see how the dealership or anyone else is responsible in this case. It's a tough hit but thats life. Good luck.
This is basically it. Given the scenario you outlined, you just need to pick up the pieces and move on. The selling dealership has no obligation to do a thing, and Ford isn't going to get involved on a used car entirely out of warranty.

Your best bet is to check salvage yards for a low mileage 4.0L and just have a local garage (non-dealership) swap it in.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sorry to hear that. In your case, it was basically "buyer beware". Having the car gone over by a good mechanic would have been prudent but who would have suspected? As I tell my sons, "chalk this one up to a learning experience".
Old 03-20-2010, 10:43 AM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

seems like everyone is dropping 4.6's in, might as well do that
Old 03-20-2010, 12:32 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

i agree with paul, but remember that pulled motors from guys that went v8 probubly have been run into the ground. thus the upgrade to the v8. best bet is a junker that had been rear ended or t-boned. they on the other hand were probubly drived by slow drivers that could not get out of the way! LOL

a few of us old farts have been around long enought to see some pretty cheap swaps ( under 2K) or less. it can be done if you do your resurch and shop around. it is a real bummer that this happened but again like paul said move on. the smatrest thing you have done so fare is post it here. these forums are a worht of knowlage and you might even be surprized if you found a couple of good old boys that for a good meal and a few beers ( after of course) might help out with the swap. these cars actually come apart pretty quick.

i myself have helped guys install a few parts as well as paul and many others here.

keep your chin up and keep us posted.

as far as the v8 swap it may be just a bit of an experiance. get the v6 running and go from there.

Quick Reply: HELP! Heartbroken, 05 Vert Engine dead at 39K