Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HELP! Heartbroken, 05 Vert Engine dead at 39K

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 04:53 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

I agree with what everyone has said so far. You should NEVER buy a car over the internet, and the fact that they got you approved so fast should have been a clue that they were desperate to make the sale. I'll add one thing. Every state has different laws as far as car sales go. You should look into your local ordinances and see if dealers can sell a car AS IS. Some states will only allow private parties to do that, but a dealer must give a small 30 day warranty for example. I'm just pulling at straws but a little research may help you. Worse case, you wasted a little time learning about your local laws. Give it a shot, and look into a motor swap.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:26 PM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
I agree with what everyone has said so far. You should NEVER buy a car over the internet, and the fact that they got you approved so fast should have been a clue that they were desperate to make the sale. I'll add one thing. Every state has different laws as far as car sales go. You should look into your local ordinances and see if dealers can sell a car AS IS. Some states will only allow private parties to do that, but a dealer must give a small 30 day warranty for example. I'm just pulling at straws but a little research may help you. Worse case, you wasted a little time learning about your local laws. Give it a shot, and look into a motor swap.
He bought the car in December, it sat most of the winter. He has had it for almost 3 months. He would be out of any 30 day clause.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:26 AM
I3lackout
1st Gear Member

I'd say if you were closer to central ohio I'd help with the swap, bad luck man.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:46 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

I used to work for Ford dealerships in the parts & service. Ford and GM have a hidden warranty on all US vehicles. It works to a percentage of the mileage. At 40,000 it would be 60% savings and so on. Get a hold of the ZONE (district) rep for Ford and have all your information available. He should be able to work something out for you. How to contact is in the back of your owners manual. Don't be an *** with these guys, just explain what happened, don't add snide comments that might get your claim kicked (like if you don't fix this I'm gonna buy a ????), and this person should be able to help you with a percentage adjustment. Usually they are not public knowledge, but Ford will stand behind most claims, if they are handled right, and without personal bias. I've managed to get customers (when I worked for an independent shop) up to 65% adjustment after warranty because I knew of the back door policies these companies have. I worked 6 years for GM also, and as much as I dislike their product, they sometimes would help people with over mileage claims. Ford was always easier to deal with than GM. I just had them rebuild my rear end in my Mustang with 42,000 and I paid 36.00. I paid for the fluids and disposal. They covered the rest with no complaints. It's all in who you talk to. Make sure you get a good report going with the rep and you'll get your adjustment.

I hope you put your name on the warranty info with Ford, if not, go to the Ford web site and list this vehicle as you being the owner. You'd be surprised how well the company will help, if its handled without a lot of lip and sass. Be firm, yet don't say stupid **** that will make them say no. They have that right, but if done without threats or acting stupidly, Ford will usually do you right.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:50 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

I forgot to impress this on you. DO NOT contact the dealer. Go to the zone rep. The dealer will try and derail any over-mileage claims, and they are within their rights. Go to Ford directly.

My rear end rebuild was $773 and I paid only the 36. They could of charged it all, and if they would of %'ed the bill, I would of paid about 355. I'm glad I knew of the back door with Ford. They've always treated me very right. GM, not so much.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 PM
RLowIndy

Default Update:

Heres the latest:

First thanks to all who have replied. I have gotten no help from the Ford dealership but a very sympathetic ear. I'm no newbie to car buying or selling, but this was the first time I ever did buy a car sight unseen, but I did have the car inspected in PA before I signed the paperwork. It rated a 96 out of possible 100, and the average rating for cars off this age was 82. I also talked to the original owner before buying the car, and got all of the maintenence records showing regular service and the annual inspection by the state. Even when the car arrived, looking it over, it looks and drives like a car in absolutely mint condition. It was a literally a one owner that was garaged every night. There is not so much as a ding on it or paint chip on the front bumper.

That is why this engine thing was so damn surprising.

But, here we are. I have a friend with a wrecking yard who has located an 05 4.0 with 29,000 miles on it for $800 from a t-boned coupe. I'm gonna drop it in over the weekend. He'll warranty it for 90 days, so I'm gonna drive the hell out of it!

This one is truly a beaut, black top, red leather interior and door panels... I think only 1 of 80 built this way, and THAT is the reason I got THIS car. So hopefully this will be a done deal and I can move on from it.

thanks to everyone here for the support. Ten years ago I started riding a motorcycle. 2 years later a guy and I started a forum specific to the bike (Strictly ACE 750 on Delphi). I KNOW what awealth of knowlege these forums can be so I look forward to becoming a member in good standing. I'll get a pic up soon.....

Thanks!

PS, I did call Ford Customer Service and they said there was nothing they would be willing to do. I am in the Ford database as the owner of this car though. I wonder if I can buy a drivetrain warranty now?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:50 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Default Not CS

I said to get hold of the "Zone or District Rep". Customer service can not and will not help you. The Rep has the authorization to give a percentage adjustment for customers who are in the data base. He or she can give generally up to 65% of the cost, less fluids. At times, depending on cause, will cover entire costs, less fluids and disposals fees. No one other than this person I know of can do this.

Remember, you have to be persistent yet not abusive. What he or she says goes without appeal. They can say no problem, or they can deny. Circumstances relating to the cause of the repair will influence their decision. Believe me this is accurate information, that I personally have used this past fall, and also it's been part of my job for the past 30 + years working in the automotive industry. That's how I knew of it.

Anyways, good luck with your swap. I'm sure this will help others out down the road.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:23 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Get the BOSS engine !!!!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 AM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by akdoggie
I said to get hold of the "Zone or District Rep". Customer service can not and will not help you. The Rep has the authorization to give a percentage adjustment for customers who are in the data base. He or she can give generally up to 65% of the cost, less fluids. At times, depending on cause, will cover entire costs, less fluids and disposals fees. No one other than this person I know of can do this.

Remember, you have to be persistent yet not abusive. What he or she says goes without appeal. They can say no problem, or they can deny. Circumstances relating to the cause of the repair will influence their decision. Believe me this is accurate information, that I personally have used this past fall, and also it's been part of my job for the past 30 + years working in the automotive industry. That's how I knew of it.

Anyways, good luck with your swap. I'm sure this will help others out down the road.
Yea, but how do you find out the name and contact info of the district rep? I had an issue a few years ago with my old Accord where I thought the paint faded prematurely. The service manager would not give me any info about the district rep. He had me take the car down to the dealer on the day the rep would be in the area. By that point, like you said, the service manager had already sabotaged the entire meeting so the rep just gave it a once over and denied it. I got pissed at the attitude and told them flat out "if this is the way you take care of your customers, then this is the LAST Honda I will own!" and I took my business some place else, namely Ford for me and Toyota for my wife. They lost the sale of two new cars, since we had two Accords before that.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:24 AM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

my bet would be that someone what spraying the crank out of it, returned it to stock, and traded it in. I haven't really hear issues with a 4.0 like this so it leads me to think that its an abused car you picked up. Hope you get something worked out.

Quick Reply: HELP! Heartbroken, 05 Vert Engine dead at 39K