Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 02:34 AM
MHShockey30
2nd Gear Member

Default Which Intake?

I was wondering which Intake would be the best for 05 Mustang V6. I heard the Steeda Intake kit was good but required a tune after installation. I have also heard that the K&N Intake Kit is good as well. So if anyone know which has better performance gains, or any other intakes that are out on the market that are better, please let me know, thanks.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:28 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Which Intake?

A CAI without a tune is almost pointless. You may see a little gain (very little) without a tune, but you'd see the same gain if you got a K&N drop in filter (much cheaper). These cars rely too much on the computer to do anything, and without telling it you changed something, your engine will not know to accomodate for it.

If you want performance, you should get the tuner (no matter what the CAI manufacture says). You should probably also look into a custom tune at some point down the road.

I'm just saying that if you never have any intent on getting a tuner/custom tune, then don't worry about the CAI. You'd just be wasting your time/money. Get the K&N drop in filter.

If you do want to get a tuner/custom tune, personally I'd get the MMR intake kit/high flow tube. It's more expensive than the other CAI's available, but the only one (that I've seen) for the 05 V6 that also includes a new air tube. The stock air intake tube on the Mustang has too many bends that can trap air.

Ok, that's my 2 cents.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:32 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

After my last post, I was reading in the forums and came up with this link:
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05v6.htm

Looks like it might be a bit cheaper, with the same benfits.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:57 PM
cman332001
1st Gear Member

quick question.... when a new CAI is installed how is the tune done... can u take it to a shop or would I need to by a handheld tuner? Also with the tuners are their specific settings that need to be changed for CAI? and what would they be?

Old 08-01-2005, 04:01 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

With a K&N drop in filter, you might see a 1-2hp increase. The intakes that don't require a tune have been shown to get quite a bit more.

Here's what's available (based on my limited knowledge):

Tune needed:
Steeda

Tune sometimes needed (some have installed these and not had the check engine light come on, others have needed a tune because the CEL came on)
MAC
MMR

No tune needed:
K&N (7.5 hp gain)
AEM (10hp gain - only a couple people have these on so far and nobody has reported the CEL coming on)
AFE (13 hp gain - not out yet, but looks quite promising)
Ford Racing (I'm assuming this won't require a tune - not out yet; rumored to be made by Steeda)

JLT and C&L also have intakes in the works. They will probably need a tune, like their GT siblings.

Keep in mind, that the intakes that don't require a tune will still greatly benefit from a tune. The tune helps with other areas too, like firming up shift points in the auto, raising rev and speed limiters, etc.

Personally, I'm looking for an intake that doesn't require a tune. That way, if I need to go in for warrantly work and I flash back to the stock tune, I won't have as many issues. I'm waiting to see what Ford Racing's intake. I'm also very impressed by AEM's (I'm a sucker for a bit of chrome). AFE's looks great too (look for afixer's comments on these boards).

There are many of us waiting for the right CAI... and the aftermarket if just beginning to blossom.

ps... hey guys, if I missed any intakes, chime in!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:07 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cman332001
quick question.... when a new CAI is installed how is the tune done... can u take it to a shop or would I need to by a handheld tuner? Also with the tuners are their specific settings that need to be changed for CAI? and what would they be?
You can buy a tuner, and generally a pre-set tune from several online stores.
Or you can have a shop tune it, but try to find an SCT shop (they make the XCal and XCal 2)
I bought the tuner, and am planning on a custom tune once I get the dual exhaust run.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:16 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

MHS check this site out. i have the v6 unit and it works great. i also have the xcal 2 with a custom dyno tune. unfortunatly i got the tune before i got the CAI. now that the prototyping is done i went to put my tune back in and it is pining like crap. so stock tune for now, i have been waiting to get a retune. im not into the box tunes as all cars are a litle diferent. so wed i am getting the tune redone ill post the dyno sheets. BTW this kit breathes so good 13 hp was added. as the kit stands now it is only the new box and it wont come with a cover like mine just a rubber gasket like the others. they are developing a full vertion with a plastic tube and it will include the cover. hang tight i cant wait till wednsday
Tom
http://www.afefilters.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40
Old 08-02-2005, 11:40 AM
cman332001
1st Gear Member

one more qucik question related to orginal post : So if I buy a CAI online from lets say for example Steeda (which requires a tune) and I have my own tuner it will come with some settings I need to change to make the thing operate efficiently? To most of u these questions probably sound dumb and forgive me for that but just trying to understand hte process of getting the car tuned for the specific CAI (I suspect they each require different settings?)

thanks in advance!

Old 08-02-2005, 03:21 PM
beltone
1st Gear Member

I have a MMR with tube manual shift. I has pinging at 5000 rpm no light changed to 92 oct and all was good till engine light came on one month down the road. I took it to dealer and put stock back on. Getting X-cal 2 for tune or don't bother ! $400 for CAI and tube $350 for X-Cal Iam a sucker, all for 20 hp
Old 08-02-2005, 11:54 PM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: hamidlmt

Tune sometimes needed (some have installed these and not had the check engine light come on, others have needed a tune because the CEL came on)
MAC
MMR
If any of you have the Mac air intake and have the CEL on we have new Mac tunes ready to ship on the X-calibrator 1 or 2. I have customers from California to Rhode Island that had the CEL and now with our SCT tune they are good to go. The A/F was 30% off on the car tested which explained the CEL light. I have not put a Mac package together yet but if you want one I can do that for you. Just give us a call or e-mail. We also have Steeda packages in stock.

574.834.7455 or
Sales@brenspeed.com

Quick Reply: Which Intake?