Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Slapping some duals

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

red07 I see your pony has the hangers on the cross member. I'm getting ready to install same set on my 09, and it doesn't have these hangers. NTO says to get them from Ford. I went to Ford, and they only way I can buy them is to buy the cross member support with the attached to it. I was so shocked, I didn't even ask what it would cost. Anyone one else got any suggestions, or a cheaper work around??
Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twstones
red07 I see your pony has the hangers on the cross member. I'm getting ready to install same set on my 09, and it doesn't have these hangers. NTO says to get them from Ford. I went to Ford, and they only way I can buy them is to buy the cross member support with the attached to it. I was so shocked, I didn't even ask what it would cost. Anyone one else got any suggestions, or a cheaper work around??
You can always have some additional hangers welded on at that location, which is what I had to do to get rid of the horrible vibration I was having with the FRPP kit. Set me back $85'ish. Just talk to a good muffler shop in the area and they can take care of it for you if it is a problem.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:06 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

Most people(Ford) cut those off due to the droan they can cause. I can't remember the TSB that says to do that...too lazy to look it up.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:00 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Instead of creating the billionth thread on CAI/Tuner combo which package should I get? Turns out I get a good present for my bday... I had to choose either Duals or the CAI/Tuner. Obviously I'm going to pick the CAI/Tuner - I have a bunch of college books I'm going to sell after this semester is over and those alone should pay for the Duals lmao. So I'll get the best of both worlds now.

Which CAI/Tuner should I get and where should I get it from
Old 05-01-2010, 04:26 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Don't mean to hijack a thread but going from single GT T/O to duals, what is the sound difference? Is it simply stereo sound now or does it change the tone? Also I thought X pipes were better for performance. If price were no issue, would a Prochamber be good Any guys here go from a single GT T/O to a Prochamber with GT T/O? THanks
Old 05-01-2010, 08:11 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I have heard from someone else that going from Single GT T/O to a dual setup really makes no difference as far as sound goes but I have no idea.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:23 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
I have heard from someone else that going from Single GT T/O to a dual setup really makes no difference as far as sound goes but I have no idea.
Well, I have dual GT T/O and they definitely sound waaaaay better than the putt-putt V6 exhaust that was on there.
I have heard one guy around here with one GT muffler and I can tell you, mine sound much better.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:58 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Well, I have dual GT T/O and they definitely sound waaaaay better than the putt-putt V6 exhaust that was on there.
I have heard one guy around here with one GT muffler and I can tell you, mine sound much better.
There ya go JCON :P
Old 05-01-2010, 10:55 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Haha thanks! I have been debating for months. Listened to tons of youtube videos but never heard any GT duals in person. can't get a feel for the difference in videos if its not shot under the same conditions. Now the quest for a V6 prochambered GT take off set up We have some Mustang meets coming up that I am goign to try to make, hope someone has what I am looking for!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 AM
05raggtop4.0
1st Gear Member

We started with a single GT takeoff on our six. Huge improvement over the stock six muffler. Then we went with dual GT Takeoffs via a Y to Y conversion pipe. I have heard a lot of opinions on that vs the X and H, but to tell you the truth, it made another huge improvement in the tone and "stereo" effect from the rear. Nice throat on acceleration and zero drone at any speed. Easy garage install ourselves. We cut the bumper using the Pypes template and it looks as stock as the passenger side.

In short, you WILL notice a sound improvement over a single takeoff. Not to mention the look of twin stacks out the rear!

Quick Reply: Slapping some duals