Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

C&L or Steeda

Old 05-18-2010, 05:30 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Well I installed it - the install was very easy.

I started it up and started driving around. this was probably the longest drive of my life... the engine was cold so I couldn't get on the throttle quite yet - it seemed like it took forever to warm up - lol.

So the engine warmed up and I gave it the gas and I can say the difference is very noticeable. It's way more responsive on the throttle, the exhaust actually seemed a bit louder, and the difference in the shift times is truly amazing - it shifts gears so fast now. It definitely was worth every cent!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:17 AM
SkyStang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
Well I installed it - the install was very easy.

I started it up and started driving around. this was probably the longest drive of my life... the engine was cold so I couldn't get on the throttle quite yet - it seemed like it took forever to warm up - lol.

So the engine warmed up and I gave it the gas and I can say the difference is very noticeable. It's way more responsive on the throttle, the exhaust actually seemed a bit louder, and the difference in the shift times is truly amazing - it shifts gears so fast now. It definitely was worth every cent!
Wow, thats so good to hear. I definetly can't wait to order mine. What was the total cost? and post some pics! Congrats!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:18 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SkyStang06
Wow, thats so good to hear. I definetly can't wait to order mine. What was the total cost? and post some pics! Congrats!!!
Total cost was $611 for the C&L / Tuner combo package but I got a good chunk knocked off with the forum discount from AM.
I'll try posting some pics tomorrow.

Also as for seeing an increase in MPG that is NOT true. I put it on the race tune and love it so much, but it sucks down the gas pretty bad lol. So then I tried the performance tune but I just like the race tune too much so I switched it back, lol. I haven't even tried the economy tune hahaha. I'm sure with economy tune I would see an increase, but as far as the race tune goes I'm getting about 25-50 miles less per tank of gas BUT I'm playing around and having 10x as much fun as I did before - so it's worth it.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

I'm looking pretty hard at that C&L from AM also. Got a couple of questions. 1. I have those radiator top extensions, will the filter fit okay, behind the extension on that side, or will I have to do some modifications? 2. I'm an ol' gizzer, so I'm not really looking for performance improvement, but better mileage would be helpful. Does it have a econo mod. and if so, how much improvement can I expect. I presently get around 21 MPG in all around driving. Oh, what's the forum discount??
Old 05-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twstones
I'm looking pretty hard at that C&L from AM also. Got a couple of questions. 1. I have those radiator top extensions, will the filter fit okay, behind the extension on that side, or will I have to do some modifications? 2. I'm an ol' gizzer, so I'm not really looking for performance improvement, but better mileage would be helpful. Does it have a econo mod. and if so, how much improvement can I expect. I presently get around 21 MPG in all around driving. Oh, what's the forum discount??
You can get an economy tune and you will probably see an increase in MPG's depending on how you drive. I've had a drop in MPG's bc since the increase in overall performance, I have a tendency to step on it more.

For the forum discount, PM AMStanger
Old 05-25-2010, 11:41 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twstones
The install goes perfectly fine. I actually wrote the install guide for that C&L CAI for 2005+ Mustangs on AmericanMuscle. So all pictures and steps in the guide that will be on their site soon are from me - if you encounter any problems with anything just message me and I can help ya out with whatever you need. If you're not looking for performance then you can get an 87 economy tune (street tune) and it will increase MPG. I will have exact MPG numbers that it increases it by within a month after I drive it right and test it out. But I must say regardless of your age I bet you'll get the urge to try out that race tune, and while technically I think it would still increase MPG it actually doesnt because I get on the throttle 24/7 now lol. Pm the person listed above for a forum discount - I think you need to have a minimum of 50 posts or something to get the discount (big whoop - you'll have to post two mroe times, lol.) I saved a nice little chunk of money
Old 05-26-2010, 12:45 AM
OIIIIO
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
The install goes perfectly fine. I actually wrote the install guide for that C&L CAI for 2005+ Mustangs on AmericanMuscle. So all pictures and steps in the guide that will be on their site soon are from me ............
Max, is that how you got that $200 gift cert from them?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:12 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OIIIIO
Max, is that how you got that $200 gift cert from them?
Yes it is
It definitely took a bit of extra time though because I took a picture after every single thing I did, had to upload the pics, I wrote a pretty intensive guide, but in the end I'm super happy about it because now, me - the broke college kid, gets to put on some duals!