Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

dual conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Sevalley
1st Gear Member

I would recomment just buying a GT bumper. there are some great deals online for take-offs. Then you already have perfect cutouts and you have a spare v6 bumper if you ever decide to go back to single. I have some GT takeoff mufflers sitting in my garage I could let you have for cheap, but I'm in los angeles.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:04 PM
stang1012
1st Gear Member

Im thinking I will have them cut it and see how it looks. If its bad I can always get a new bumper....

So I just put on a gt muffler just to get me by untill I have the money to get duals. I must say it sounds way better! But Im looking for a little deeper sound.

Im thinking Im going to get gt exhaust but put flowmaster mufflers. How do you guys think that will sound?
Old 06-18-2010, 05:05 PM
bbktech2

Mig welding is Metal Inert Gas welding. Basically it's a gas (argon/co2) shielded arc welding procedure using a 'torch' handle that has a filler wire feeding thru it to join metal together. It is generally used for welding just mild steel. You can weld aluminized tubing also but it's not the nicest finish weld.
Tig welding is Tungsten Inert Gas welding. It uses a shielding gas also, usually argon. It is more like oxy/acetelyn welding, kinda, except you can control the heat with a foot pedal. You use a 'torch' that has a round piece of tungsten sharpened to a point that the arc is created at. With the heat control foot pedal you start the arc and can control it's heat. Once you start the arc you heat up a small puddle of metal and add filler rod. Tig welders use AC and DC current. When you weld mild steel, stainless steel, cast iron, you use DC. When you weld aluminum with the Tig you use the AC current. Tig welding will give you a very clean, small weld with great penetration. Mig welding can also be done and produce very clean good looking welds if used by someone who knows how to use it. If not you can end up with gloopy piles of pideon **** looking welds. Tig welds will create more heat when the welding is being done. Mig welds produce less heat at the weld.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

OP, you don't have to weld the exhaust together unless you want it that way. The newer style clamps hold the seal way better than the older ubolt style did. Welding is a good idea but isn't critical. I have a high end exhaust system on my car and the whole thing is clamped.

Also, I have a mig, tig, and arc welder at my disposal. SS can be welded with a mig welder if needed but requires SS wire and a different sheilding gas, than regular steel. A good welder can weld the exhaust together with a mig welder to the point that an untrained eye won't be able to tell the difference between that and a tig weld.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

I just put mine on myself. Here's how my experience went:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...l-install.html
Old 06-24-2010, 07:25 AM
astentine
2nd Gear Member

Any 2005-2009 parts will fit on your car. First thing is first. Make sure the driver side has exhaust hangars. I did not when I had my shop put my duals on and he had to order them in from Ford. All in all though, try to find a local shop (who does good work of course) I got my Pypes kit from American Muscle for about $250 after sales and gift cards (can find a kit elsewhere I'm sure) and he installed it for less than $100. It's all in where you buy and who you know lol. Stick with GT take off mufflers though. I absolutely love them
Old 06-24-2010, 08:36 AM
stang1012
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bbktech2
Mig welding is Metal Inert Gas welding. Basically it's a gas (argon/co2) shielded arc welding procedure using a 'torch' handle that has a filler wire feeding thru it to join metal together. It is generally used for welding just mild steel. You can weld aluminized tubing also but it's not the nicest finish weld.
Tig welding is Tungsten Inert Gas welding. It uses a shielding gas also, usually argon. It is more like oxy/acetelyn welding, kinda, except you can control the heat with a foot pedal. You use a 'torch' that has a round piece of tungsten sharpened to a point that the arc is created at. With the heat control foot pedal you start the arc and can control it's heat. Once you start the arc you heat up a small puddle of metal and add filler rod. Tig welders use AC and DC current. When you weld mild steel, stainless steel, cast iron, you use DC. When you weld aluminum with the Tig you use the AC current. Tig welding will give you a very clean, small weld with great penetration. Mig welding can also be done and produce very clean good looking welds if used by someone who knows how to use it. If not you can end up with gloopy piles of pideon **** looking welds. Tig welds will create more heat when the welding is being done. Mig welds produce less heat at the weld.

Thanks for all the info!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:48 AM
stang1012
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=astentine;7072319]Any 2005-2009 parts will fit on your car. First thing is first. Make sure the driver side has exhaust hangars. I did not when I had my shop put my duals on and he had to order them in from Ford. All in all though, try to find a local shop (who does good work of course) I got my Pypes kit from American Muscle for about $250 after sales and gift cards (can find a kit elsewhere I'm sure) and he installed it for less than $100. It's all in where you buy and who you know lol. Stick with GT take off mufflers though. I absolutely love them[/QUOTE

I went to midas and they gave me a price of 300.00 for parts and all (using my gt mufflers of coarse). I mentioned X pipes to him though, and he looked at me like he had no idea what I was talking about. Then he drew a pic of what they would do. Im not an exhaust expert but it looked to me like an H pipe but he didnt call it that.

If I order my own kit he said they charge 60 an hr and usually is about 3 hrs to do.

Is it worth getting it all through them for 300? Is midas a good company?

Going this route saves me about 200 bucks, but If i need to I would rather spend the 200 and get it done right.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:11 AM
astentine
2nd Gear Member

300 doesn't seem too bad actually. Below are pictures of the x and h pipes. As for Midas, I have nothing against or for them really, sorry I couldn't help there. Ummm, 3 hours seems a bit steep though depending I guess. The American muscle kit comes with everything and all you do it lift the car and basically slide pieces in and clamp them. I would make sure that drawing is an X, if it is, go for it, sounds good. If not, I'd go around to a few other shops first. Hope I can help!

X pipe:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...1&s=automotive

H pipe:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/enlarg...road-9604.html
Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twstones
I just put mine on myself. Here's how my experience went:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...l-install.html
Update: Still no rattles, but did get minor sagging in the mid pipe area. Maybe 3/4 inch max. Jacked the sag out of them and had the neighbor kid weld the joints. Should be good till the get go. $25 well spent......

Quick Reply: dual conversion question