Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

5-speed stiff to put into first?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 11:38 PM
tboucher
1st Gear Member

Default 5-speed stiff to put into first?

I'll admit it first, I've not driven a stick since October 2003. So at first I thought maybe I was just out of practice or something, but after 500 miles this is starting to bug me.

First off, one of the habits I got into was when slowing down to a light to shift it out of gear, and leave it in neutral.

Or while at a light, one foot on brake, clutch out and in neutral.

Then when the light is about to change I'll punch the clutch in, and put it into first gear.

This is where I'm running into a problem. It won't 'go' into gear very smoothly, and sometimes you down right have to ram it in. No grinding or anything, just won't go into it's slot.

Other than that, no issues. Just wondering if my driving habit is goofing with it or if I might have something that needs adjusting.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 5-speed stiff to put into first?

I'm taking mine in for the same issue. 1st gear is tough to get it in sometimes and it just wont go into reverse at times and I have to put it back in nuetral then try it again, it's not you don't worry haha. Stick shifts definitly shouldn't be like that, my 71 VW Karmann Ghia goes into 1st and reverse just fine still.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:06 AM
2K5 Legend

Thought it was just me, have the exact same, first and reverse. Everything else clicks right in, but I look like a moron fighting to get it into first sometimes.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:04 AM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

Haha ya, first gear is never impossible to get into just gotta push it hard sometimes but damn reverse. Sometimes it literally wont go in till I put it back into nuetral and give it a nother try. I'm taking it in on wednesday and they're going to look at that as well as the known rattling/poping noise problem with the suspension. When I find out what they say I'll let you know.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:53 AM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

mine goes into 1st and reverse perfectly fine...6,500 miles
Old 08-08-2005, 11:13 AM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

the book says that before you put it into reverse you need to leave it in neutral for 3 seconds...i'd try that..i never force mine and i have no problem...
Old 08-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

This definitely isn't a synchro issue, the problem has gotten worse over time and the stick should never be hesitant to go into 1st gear.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:50 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

My 5-speed is also stiff, but nothing worth taking it back to the dealer for.

If you're sitting in neutral, you might try going for second, then first to use the other synchros to slow the spinning gears down. That makes it easier for me to get into first gear.

At least the transmission doesn't grind going into second like the Honda S2000 did.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:43 PM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

ah just give it a little muscle if it acts up...thats what warrenties are for
Old 08-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

That was kind of Ford's answer. The dealer said Ford is telling them to check like models and if they all do it it's not a problem I guess. They checked the other v6 manuals on their lot and said they all stuck a little bit so ya give it some muscle I just wanted to make sure nothing was getting slowly damaged.

Quick Reply: 5-speed stiff to put into first?