Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

18, minimum wage, and wanting a nice ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Think three times before doing any mod and then consult the forum
for members who have possably already gone down that road.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:02 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Think three times before doing any mod and then consult the forum
for members who have possably already gone down that road.

+1000000000000000

Seriously though OP your car is way cool enough stock. I've been in college for a few years now (hopefully done after this year ) and I can say there are few people that drive around with more cool cars than me that are around my age (at least where I go to school). And it's not always about who's better, but when the kid and his gf in the Civic with a body kit comes up to you and revs it 100% of the time there is nothing under the hood and you will rape him. If he did have something under the hood he wouldn't be driving it because he would have no money. The only cars I've seen that are better is: Caddy CTS-V which is beautiful. 08 Mustang Bullitt, a highly modified Firebird. Then another V6 Mustang just like mine but with a complete GT front/rear end, duals, and few other mods. Other than the CTS-V and the Bullitt (which obviously if your parents or you have the money for either of those then they dont have trouble getting you through college) the rest of those cars are parked in the same spot 24/7 and never driven lol. I've yet to see what that V6 mustang has under the hood because it's literally parked in the same spot all day every day - the kid probably modded it then now is broke and can't drive it.
On a side note I was out driving two days ago and saw a black S197 driving around and it looked like a GT, but when it passed me going the opposite way I noticed it was just a V6 with the GT style grill and then I looked at the driver... a smokin' hot babe - she was looking right at me, I smiled then she returned it and I fell in love. That is all.

Last edited by maxshuty; 07-09-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

PATIENCE

Originally Posted by jondye40
Last Febuary I bought a 2007 vista blue mustang for 12,000 dollars so I can't really complain. I've wanted a mustang for as long as I can remember so it was my dream car. The only problem is it's a base model v6 so it doesn't have anything I wanted in a mustang. It's an automatic, cloth seats, all stock under the hood and the exterior, stock rims... basically I want to give it a complete makeover on a minimum wage salary while I'm still going to college. A few hundred a month is all I have to spare.

First word of advice – don’t rush into anything. You don’t have the $ to do something over, and believe it or not there can be more to college life than your car. You won’t get to do this part of your life over, either. BALANCE.

1. My interior is camel and black cloth, where can i get a good leather upgrade and should I make it black leather or keep the seats tan (I can't find a camel upgrade kit)... the console and dash are black, everything else is brown.

It’s 100 degrees this time of year in Ky (item #3). Black can get really hot, and it’ll show the dirt a lot worse than any other color except maybe white if that matters any. Incidentally, leather does not hold all of the advantages – cloth is grippier, meaning that you can use the steering wheel to steer with instead of using it as a grab handle once the road stops going straight.

2. What can i put under the hood to get it anywhere close to 300hp (my goal)... it's 210hp right now and a supercharger is just too expensive. (and for all you GT owners I know it will never run like a v8 so no need for you to tell me).. I figure I can still bump it up a few horses

300 HP normally aspirated on a budget is dreaming. Or a nightmare if you try and grenade it instead.

3. I got the pre-painted louvers from american muscle, any advice on when to put em on... it's 100 degrees this time of year in Ky and they have to sit 24 hours between 65-85 degrees. Do they really need this much time to dry because at night would be perfect.

Second word of advice – don’t rush this.

4. What rims are classy and look good, I don't want it to look like a rice burner... I'm leaning towards the Shelby Razor rims right now even though they are a little pricey.

Think carefully here. Different diameter wheels also mean new tires, so a $400 set of wheels could easily run you over $1000 by the time you’re done. 20” rubber is more costly than 18.

5. I want to replace the hood, which hood is recommended and which place ships their products the best... american muscle sent me the louvers in good shape but I've heard their hoods may not make it so clean... I'm looking at the Eleanor hood for right now but give me some advice.

Third word of advice – don’t rush anything. Sounds like your mind is not completely made up yet.

Norm
Old 07-09-2010, 02:56 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Oooooh I almost forgot to remember - 300hp is easily feasable without f/i... throw a bunch of nitrous in the trunk and your good to go. Your engine probably wont last very long though

:P
Old 07-11-2010, 02:02 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I am in your situation, but I am 16. I say just love the car how it is and if you feel the need to mod, just do small cheap things. Leather seats and duals are great upgrades to do.

I am just going to keep my 2006 V6 basically stock until I am out of college. I love it, but I want a 1970 GTO. I keep my car as clean as can be because I want to sell it in the future, and the better shape my car is in, the more I can sell it for.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:17 PM
jondye40

Hey all you guys have given some great advice... I'm with you on the save money for college idea, I'm not gonna get anything real expensive. I got my louvers on and they look great, i think after I get leather interior and hopefully duals i'll be done. Because your right I need the money for more serious things, this never was meant to be my dream ride.

Btw, which duals are more recommended from American muscle, the pypes v6 conversion kit or the Ford racing dual conversion kit? I'm more concerned about the way they sound than the way they run. I hate a bad sounding exhaust
Old 07-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jondye40
I got my louvers on and they look great, i think after I get leather interior and hopefully duals i'll be done. Because your right I need the money for more serious things, this never was meant to be my dream ride.
I said the same thing, except mine was duals, CAI and rims. It's not as easy as you think to stop. Just saying
Old 07-16-2010, 12:44 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

My Mustang is by far the coolest looking one on my campus but not the coolest car even though I get a lot of looks. We have the Jersey Shore and Long Island crowd at UD which means many BMW's Audi's and Mercedes' but mostly I'm not cool because there are Aston Martins, Ferrari's, Lambo's, GTR's, Lotus, R8's, Porsche's, and a few other cool cars around here, driven by college students.

Shop around for a good deal, here's is what I've spent on mine in the one year I have had it:

Tunable Inductions CAI: $120
Tunes: $30
SCT X3: $60
Pair of NTO GT manual mufflers: $0
Black billet grille w/ driving lights: $125
Shorty Headers: $112
Total: $447
Old 07-16-2010, 01:15 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Trust me once you start modding you want more and more and more and more. I started with the 3" shorty antenna. Few days later I think I got the rear blackout, soon after I got the Shaker 500 (all cheaper stuff to do), then after a year or so of owning the car I got the Bullitt rims, then I got the GT Mufflers, then I got the CAI+Tune. Now even though the CAI+Tune makes a pretty sweet difference I just want more power. You have no idea how bad I just want to take out a few grand extra for a school loan and slap a Xcharger on my car. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh it never ends. By the time I get my car supercharged I'll probably have test driven a 2011 GT and just be dreaming of getting one of those.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:15 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by JCON
My Mustang is by far the coolest looking one on my campus but not the coolest car even though I get a lot of looks. We have the Jersey Shore and Long Island crowd at UD which means many BMW's Audi's and Mercedes' but mostly I'm not cool because there are Aston Martins, Ferrari's, Lambo's, GTR's, Lotus, R8's, Porsche's, and a few other cool cars around here, driven by college students.

Shop around for a good deal, here's is what I've spent on mine in the one year I have had it:

Tunable Inductions CAI: $120
Tunes: $30
SCT X3: $60
Pair of NTO GT manual mufflers: $0
Black billet grille w/ driving lights: $125
Shorty Headers: $112
Total: $447
really a stock mustang is the coolest? all that money and no one has a modded one...wow

Quick Reply: 18, minimum wage, and wanting a nice ride