Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is this a good place to start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:21 PM
RugbyPlayer

Default Is this a good place to start?

ok so im waiting another month or so and i should have about 1500 to spend on some mods.

Keep in mind my ultimate goal is to get to over 400 hp last mod being a blower so i can beat the 2011 gts. I was originally thinking about buying a 2011 gt in the future after my collage graduation and securing a job, but i just think the 05-09's look so much more aggresive. Is beating a stock 2011 5.0 doable without having too high a psi on the blower and risk blowing my engine? i would of course be doing a stage 3 kit before the blower is added and 8.8 inch rear.

I want to do some performance mods first, probly the majority of what i can before doing the blower and then go on to body modifications including an eleanor cervinis kit.

This is something i expect to take several years to do of course.

Right now im looking at doing a CAI+tune and either flowmasters A/T mufflers with a custom H pipe or the pypes violator series with one of their i think its an x pipe. and short tube headers. The headers id likely have a shop install because i have very little experience. Im hoping the labor wouldnt be too high though...does anyone have some guesses there?

now i have had people at other forums tell me to do gears and a tuner.

Im planning on waiting on gears and doing them with the 8.8" rear which has a tlok in it right?

is there something else i could better spend the 800 on the exhaust system on?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:31 AM
U R 11 5
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RugbyPlayer
ok so im waiting another month or so and i should have about 1500 to spend on some mods.

Keep in mind my ultimate goal is to get to over 400 hp last mod being a blower so i can beat the 2011 gts. I was originally thinking about buying a 2011 gt in the future after my collage graduation and securing a job, but i just think the 05-09's look so much more aggresive. Is beating a stock 2011 5.0 doable without having too high a psi on the blower and risk blowing my engine? i would of course be doing a stage 3 kit before the blower is added and 8.8 inch rear.

I want to do some performance mods first, probly the majority of what i can before doing the blower and then go on to body modifications including an eleanor cervinis kit.

This is something i expect to take several years to do of course.

Right now im looking at doing a CAI+tune and either flowmasters A/T mufflers with a custom H pipe or the pypes violator series with one of their i think its an x pipe. and short tube headers. The headers id likely have a shop install because i have very little experience. Im hoping the labor wouldnt be too high though...does anyone have some guesses there?

now i have had people at other forums tell me to do gears and a tuner.

Im planning on waiting on gears and doing them with the 8.8" rear which has a tlok in it right?

is there something else i could better spend the 800 on the exhaust system on?
The new 5.0s are quick. I have thousands in my car and the 5.0s are just as fast or faster. My tuner bought a 5.0 and ran a 12.5 bone stock. I have nitrous and alot of bolt ons and i run a 12.6. If i were you id go with a turbo. Im looking at the powerhouse turbo set up. It looks awesome. They have a stock V6 with just there turbo running a 11.35. That will beat a 5.0.

But id go with a 8.8 rear and gears, then clutch, headers,intake and tune. The thing about getting a clutch is our trans is only good to 300 torque so if you want 400hp youll have more torque than 300. The GT trans is only good to 360 torque. So id invest in a TR-6060. With the TR-6060 you will need a new clutch, shifter, adapter, and driveline. its very expensive but you will need it if you want that kind of power.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

400 is easily achievable without blowing the motor. us V6's can reach over 400 without needing forged internals, i think the V6's can go up to around 425 without needing forged internals. im pretty sure the V8's can hold around 550hp without needing forged internals as well, IM NOT 100% ON THAT THOUGH.

anyways, a way to quicken yourself without really gaining hp is a lightweight driveshaft, aluminum flywheel, 4.10 gears, and an Underdrive Pulley. that would take off some 1/4 time by simply freeing up rotating mass you could start there.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:00 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

You're barking up the wrong tree if you want to be able to beat 2011 gts with a typical blower on your stock engine. You'd need a strong turbo setup, and that would really risk the engine internals past about 375 hp.

Now as far as earlier gts, a simple blower does blow away a lot of them. But, you can only go so far until risking engine damage. And you'd better have a 8.8, too (yes it has a t-loc already in them).

FWIW, a blower on a V6 is an interesting novelty, but you wont beat 400+ hp cars.
Unless you build/forge a 4.0 motor, you can't push them that hard. And for that money, you're better off doing the same work to a V8, and go really big.
I looked into that route, and found it more cost effective (and more fun in the end!) to go with a V8.

Nonetheless, a good cai and CUSTOM (not mail-order) tune can nicely wake up an otherwise stock V6.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

scratch my 400 is easily achievable quote. i thought this was in the 4.6 GT section... 400 is possible but would be hard to achieve. a Procharger blower and heads/cams have net a guy 400 before. not sure if he even had anything else.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:21 AM
RugbyPlayer

ok so the general concensus seems to be that its not worth it on a 4.0 engine.

tx zstang if you dont mind me asking what 5.0 engine did you swap to? and what parts did you need? ive looked into a 4.6 engine swap and the general idea there too is i would need a donor car to get all the parts.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Even if you come close to the RWHP of the 5.0, you need to match or exceed the torque. Despite the weight difference, you're likely to still get smoked in the end. Get a used 4.6 and put your money into making THAT a beast.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Get a used 4.6 and put your money into making THAT a beast.
skip that one, and buy a used 09-04 Lincoln navigator motor, its the 5.4 DOHC motor, its almost essentially the same as a cobra motor just non supercharged. dont get the SOHC cause there is not as much potential for better HP/TQ. If you are swapping and going to get the 4.6, might as well spend the extra couple hundred on the motor cause basically everything else (suspension, transmission etc. that you would use from the 4.6 to 5.4 would be the same, and it is possible to achieve a 5.4 with 400 hp non supercharged as well.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:38 PM
RugbyPlayer

what im wondering is what you did with the computer. the 5.4 engine i know didnt use the same computer system that our mustangs use. Is there a database or anything around of all the parts i would need to make the swap doable?

Also the 5.4 motor would require changing the engine mounts right?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

not 100% sure, but i think the 4.6 motor mounts would work on the 5.4

as for the ECU. you can pic them up relativley easily.

heres your motor
http://www.lkqonline.com/custom/prod..._ENG&year=2004

heres your ECU
http://www.lkqonline.com/custom/prod..._EBX&year=2004

then after you get that you can use a custom tune to mod it however you want.

Quick Reply: Is this a good place to start?