Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Driver: V6 Automatic in the Rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 AM
tomx20
1st Gear Member

I bought my car from my mom and she used it as a daily driver in MA (ie snow, rain, heat, anything you could imagine) and now I drive it and I've never had a problem with it either. I recently just drove through the worst rain storm of my life, and I was fine.

Get yourself a couple of nice cinderblocks for the wintertime, and some Rain-X Lattitude wipers, they're definitely worth the $40!

Hey, that reminds me, I'm under $1,000 I owe for my car... wo0!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Just leave TCS (Traction Control System) on (it defaults to on each time you start the car unless modded not to) and be gentle on the gas. Also, tires are the significant contributor (after the go-pedal) to traction issues. Be sure there are decent tires on the car. Despite the fact that the rears on these cars can break free a bit quicker than others, it still takes a bit of conscious effort to do so in wet weather. Besides, the stock V6 with an auto is a bit of a... canine ("dog" might offend a few folks...).

Last edited by Nuke; 08-09-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Helix

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. So what Im gathering is that if i dont drive like an idiot ill be fine. Do you guys recommend weight in the trunk for daily driving? Also when i get the car do i need special tires for rain or do the tires i get just need to be in good condition?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Helix

Damn sorry for the double post couldnt find the edit button. Do all mustangs these days 07 and up come with TCS standard?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I drive 45 miles one way to work every day - and take the Mustang through rain, downpours, heat, ice storms, freezing rain, light snow, and blizzards. Never had a problem with it and I don't put any extra weight in the trunk. Just make sure you have good tires, that they haven't been worn to the bars and drive properly for the conditions.

And I have 148,000 miles on the car through all sorts of conditions.
This^^. I've seen people riding rice rockets in the snow/ice around here lol. It's all about understanding what you're driving and having the common sense to not push the limits in bad conditions. Let the morons pass you... You'll see some up the road in the woods and have a good laugh at them.

You could have the best awd car in the world but if you drive like a fool it won't matter one bit. So yeah, Mustang is just as fine as any other car for bad weather if you're not a fool. And yeah, a little weight in the trunk will help ya.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:37 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by atldave
Hey, JimC: I just got to tell you that every time I see you sig pic I say, "Dang, I like that car!" The PP with stripes is my favorite look. I wish I had done that when my bumper got cracked instead of going with the GT takeoff.
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.

Originally Posted by Helix
Hey guys thanks for all the replies. So what Im gathering is that if i dont drive like an idiot ill be fine. Do you guys recommend weight in the trunk for daily driving? Also when i get the car do i need special tires for rain or do the tires i get just need to be in good condition?
If you have TCS you will see the button on the right hand side of the center stack. If all you have is a blank button with no "TCS" on it, then your car does not have it.

I don't carry any extra weight in the car, never have and have never had a problem. I run the stock Pirelli Pzero's all season tires. Never even tried snow tires in the winter, and still no problems. There really isn't any reason to drive around every day with a bunch of extra weight in the trunk - and as far as carrying some cinder blocks, I would be really concerned about a panic stop (or worse rear ending someone else) launching those things through the back seat at me.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:54 PM
shnorse

i would be very cautious putting any weight in the truck thats not secured down. our rear seats fold down forward so anything in the trunk in an accident ends up hitting your seat backs and comming right through to hit you....

i don't know if bagged sand would be better, i'd assume so and hope the bag breaks before it hits you...
Old 08-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I drove around in the ridiculous (for here) blizzards this winter and got around. It wasn't necessarily fun or easily but it can be done. In rain and snow is the only time I like to keep TCS on, it helps. You can get around, but it all depends on how you drive
Old 08-09-2010, 04:27 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Only problem is sometimes in the winter/snow the TCS cuts power when you need it the most. Like an unplowed intersection, and it decides to cut power while you're in the center of it. TCS off, power slide through it. Good Times!

Last edited by X3xMONGOOSEx3X; 08-09-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:38 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

extra weight in the trunk slows my 0-60 :x However, I didn't put weight in my trunk and did well all winter.

Quick Reply: New Driver: V6 Automatic in the Rain