Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

installed 8.8 rear end with 3.73's this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:34 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Default installed 8.8 rear end with 3.73's this weekend

heres the scoop...

I installed the rear end with
1- 3 ton floor jack
1- 2 ton small jack
4- jack stands
basic tools
rented tool from auto zone to reinstall rear brake pads

also had, but wasnt necessary...
electric air wrench for about 40 percent of all bolts

did the entire install myself in 10 hours. was the first time i ever installed a rear end, if i did it again it would probably be 4-6 hours, even by myself.

What'd it cost? 930 shipped from newtakeoff. It had the v6 cobra pinion flange already installed...just bolt the rear end up and off you go.

the results?
1. i need a new tune...
2. flies out of the low gears (automatic tranny)
3. quicker, but not as much as ive heard folks say... I read somewhere on here, a dude comparing it to installing a xcharger! thats a joke!
4. she lays down nice long skid marks from both tires, which looks much cooler.

was it worth it?
i think it was overpriced, but I am gonna get an X after the car is paid for next year, so i figured i needed it.

I called Evolution performance, where i got my tunes from and they want 250 dollars for a new tune???? what?

Question, can i use bama or somebody even if i have a tuner that was programmed by evolution performance? 250 seems way high for a emailed tune... i would think different if i was on a dyno and they created it from that info...
Old 08-15-2010, 07:20 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Nice addition to your ride there! I'm going to get 4.10's when I get my 8.8 down the road, $250 for a new tune is retarded, I've seen them go for $50. Email them at AM and see how much they will charge you for a tune, it should'nt matter who put the tunes on your tuner.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:34 AM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Nice man. Congrats on installing yourself too. I just recently had 3.73s, tloc, aluminum driveshaft, adj. UCA installed. I would have to agree with you'r results. Definatly a nice upgrade. Some whine from the gears, Richmonds, but overall I'm satisfied with the performance. She definatly likes to move out now. Dyno tune next then I'll be happy.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:40 AM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

Nice upgrade. I've often thought about it but like you stated I don't know if it's worth the money for me since I have no plans of FI. Would be nice for donuts and the 2 tire burnouts though

BTW, $250 on a tune is crazy. I've heard between $50-75 for a mail order tune. Call AM or Brenspeed.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:49 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by red07Pony
Nice upgrade. I've often thought about it but like you stated I don't know if it's worth the money for me since I have no plans of FI. Would be nice for donuts and the 2 tire burnouts though

BTW, $250 on a tune is crazy. I've heard between $50-75 for a mail order tune. Call AM or Brenspeed.
If you just want one for doughnuts and 2 wheel burnouts just get a T-Lok.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:19 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

I read somewhere on here, a dude comparing it to installing a xcharger! thats a joke!
lol you should have laughed at that when you first read it. I'm sure the low end feels much better though, right? I'm debating between 3.73s or 4.10s. Not sure how much top end the 4.10s would hurt.

But congrats on the install, always more rewarding to do it things yourself (and cheaper )
Old 08-16-2010, 08:52 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
lol you should have laughed at that when you first read it. I'm sure the low end feels much better though, right? I'm debating between 3.73s or 4.10s. Not sure how much top end the 4.10s would hurt.

But congrats on the install, always more rewarding to do it things yourself (and cheaper )
Yeah, Im proud to have put it in myself. I installed 4.10's in my old ford truck 2 years ago and sold it to a guy down the street, he still drives it without any problems... i did that without any experience, while many were saying "dont do it". It does give you satisfaction doing things yourself.

I would say thou...for me... im glad i didnt get 4.10's. I drive my stang a couple of times a week to work (bout 25 miles each way) most of it is highway, theres no way i could deal with the rpms. I know this too, my ford racing stingers are about to be pulled off and im gonna put those gt mufflers back on... it is way loud now...

yeah, i laughed when he said 250 for a tune...

i passed a police thing yesterday that told your speed as you passed.... it was blinking 33mph, my speedo said 40 in the car... so i gotta get a tune...i think it will help alot.

and yeah....2 wheel burnouts are cool!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

why do you need a new tune? you should be able to adjust your new ratio in your programmer so that your speedo reads correctly...

or did you want a whole different tune all together?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sancho805
why do you need a new tune? you should be able to adjust your new ratio in your programmer so that your speedo reads correctly...

or did you want a whole different tune all together?
+1 I don't know about all tuners. But my SCT allows for gear ratio changes right on the handheld. OP, thats all you need to do to get your speedo back in check.

Also AM is like $50 a tune. FYI
Old 08-18-2010, 04:38 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joshspony
+1 I don't know about all tuners. But my SCT allows for gear ratio changes right on the handheld. OP, thats all you need to do to get your speedo back in check.

Also AM is like $50 a tune. FYI
yeah, i was told some sct tuners will let you... but mine does not...it did come with a cd...maybe ill put it in...

my tuner just lets you read codes, install tunes, dealer info, stategy code, but no adjustable settings..

Quick Reply: installed 8.8 rear end with 3.73's this weekend