Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question about performance options on 2009 model.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 05:42 AM
FlightSuit

Default Question about performance options on 2009 model.

Hello, I'm new here, and hoping you might be able to answer a question I have about my friend's car.

She has a 2009 Mustang Convertible, an automatic V6 model. She paid extra for some type of premium package and says that extra power was part of the deal.

I can't find any clear information on this on Wikipedia or elsewhere. Since I haven't ever seen two different horsepower figures listed for the V6 Mustang in 2009, I'm guessing that what she actually paid extra for was, among other things, shorter gearing in car's rear end. A more performance oriented final drive ratio would, of course, improve acceleration, thus creating the impression of added power even though the HP rating would be unchanged.

My other thought is that maybe her mustang came with a less restrictive exhaust, and therefore did have a few extra HP?

If anybody knows the exact HP figure for this car, I'd be very interested. It does seem to have really terrific acceleration for a non-V8 car.

Note that although my friend isn't completely sure what the package was called that she got, she is sure that her Mustang is not a Pony model.

She's seen less expensive V6 Convertibles that have the Shelby-style stripe running along the lower portion of the body side. Hers doesn't have that stripe, and she says hers cost about $5000 more than those models.

Any thoughts on what she might have and how it's equipped?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:22 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlightSuit
Hello, I'm new here, and hoping you might be able to answer a question I have about my friend's car.

She has a 2009 Mustang Convertible, an automatic V6 model. She paid extra for some type of premium package and says that extra power was part of the deal.

I can't find any clear information on this on Wikipedia or elsewhere. Since I haven't ever seen two different horsepower figures listed for the V6 Mustang in 2009, I'm guessing that what she actually paid extra for was, among other things, shorter gearing in car's rear end. A more performance oriented final drive ratio would, of course, improve acceleration, thus creating the impression of added power even though the HP rating would be unchanged.

My other thought is that maybe her mustang came with a less restrictive exhaust, and therefore did have a few extra HP?

If anybody knows the exact HP figure for this car, I'd be very interested. It does seem to have really terrific acceleration for a non-V8 car.

Note that although my friend isn't completely sure what the package was called that she got, she is sure that her Mustang is not a Pony model.

She's seen less expensive V6 Convertibles that have the Shelby-style stripe running along the lower portion of the body side. Hers doesn't have that stripe, and she says hers cost about $5000 more than those models.

Any thoughts on what she might have and how it's equipped?

Thanks!
I've never heard of a "Performance package" are you sure its not a pony package? If so then they might have considered it "performance" oriented with the added GT front/rear swaybars it comes with.

The V6 model came with 3.33's (or 3.31's cant remember, same ****) and I've never heard of them coming with anything other then that from the factory. I'm sure she still has the stock exhaust, even if it wasn't stock it won't be any noticeable inscrease in power.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 PM
FlightSuit

She seems pretty sure that what she got was not the Pony package. As I said, this Mustang lacks the lower bodyside stripes which are so common on V6 models of that vintage.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:34 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

She seems pretty sure that what she got was not the Pony package. As I said, this Mustang lacks the lower bodyside stripes which are so common on V6 models of that vintage.
Most likely just a base model V6 then, the dealership probably told her other wise. Does it have leather? Or small fog lights in the grille? Pics would help.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:09 PM
FlightSuit

Thanks for your swift reply! The car does have a leather interior. I don't recall whether there are fog lights in the grill. It kind of bothers me that I don't remember, 'cause usually I'm good about noticing such details.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:21 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Thanks for your swift reply! The car does have a leather interior. I don't recall whether there are fog lights in the grill. It kind of bothers me that I don't remember, 'cause usually I'm good about noticing such details.
No problem thats what were here for! If it doesn't have fogs its just a run of the mill V6 Mustang... Mine wasn't a pony package and I have leather aswell. If you get a picture of it we can give you a better idea, most likely just a good ole V6 and the dealership fed her some BS and she ate it.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

I dug out a copy of my window sticker. I also have a 2009 v-6 premium convertible. I don't see where anything that's part of the premium package has anything to do with performance. It's mostly interior stuff, like ambient lighting, shaker 500 radio, message center, sirius radio, and satin aluminum trim. This is all with the premium model. The only other performance feature that mine has is ABS/traction control, which is a $775 optional equipment. The deck lid spoiler, and side strips are also an optional add on that was $295. I didn't buy mine new, but bought it before the 2010 came out. I went to this location and got a copy of my window sticker. http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...icker.pdf?vin= If you type in your vin number, after the =, you'll get a copy of the window sticker. Good luck, hope this helps you some.......
Old 08-27-2010, 01:11 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Twstones
I dug out a copy of my window sticker. I also have a 2009 v-6 premium convertible. I don't see where anything that's part of the premium package has anything to do with performance. It's mostly interior stuff, like ambient lighting, shaker 500 radio, message center, sirius radio, and satin aluminum trim. This is all with the premium model. The only other performance feature that mine has is ABS/traction control, which is a $775 optional equipment. The deck lid spoiler, and side strips are also an optional add on that was $295. I didn't buy mine new, but bought it before the 2010 came out. I went to this location and got a copy of my window sticker. http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...icker.pdf?vin= If you type in your vin number, after the =, you'll get a copy of the window sticker. Good luck, hope this helps you some.......
NVM I figured it out.

Last edited by 2005Redfire6; 08-27-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:32 AM
FlightSuit

I must say that riding in my friend's Mustang and reading all about the performance mods and drag strip adventures in this section of MustanForums has really given me a lot of respect for the V6 Mustang as a serious performance car.

I'm old enough to remember the 1980s, when anything less than a V8 Mustang was pretty much just a nice looking car without a lot of potential. My friend's V6 however, even with the automatic transmission, and even with the added weight of a convertible top, really has a whole bunch of low-end torque.

And it's so solid and sure-footed compared to the pony cars of yore! How Ford was able to put together a convertible with such a lack of squeaks and rattles and such a lack of chassis flex is truly beyond me.

I am now convinced that the V6 S197 is such a good car that the V8 is just plain overkill. Why pay extra and get poorer fuel economy when the base engine is this good?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:13 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Well also you can get a v6 and put 8K into it and beat any stock GT, and save like 4-6K

Quick Reply: Question about performance options on 2009 model.