Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang Magazines Are Useless!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 07:17 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I think I might lock this thread without yelling.
Just give me more bickering posts guys...
Old 09-05-2010, 10:41 AM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

Wink Got Stang...I Do!!!

The OP has a great point....but, since the Ford Mustang has been around for a LONG time 45+ yrs.............how could one mag cover everyones needs for the Ford Mustang.....?

anybody heard of www.

Mags hype whats selling.......my problem with mags is that they are ALL ADVERTISMENTS and........I'm not buying.....whats to read? What their hyping...

Yes, their are nice photos of Rides that you don't own....it's like Playboy Mag......your lucky if your girl looks like that too.....dreamer, put down that Mag.....Same $hit....

Selling ADs.....

Mags are going, if not already gone......online......."Mustang Forums", well it's a pretty popular online "MAG" is it not?..........see any advertisments?

All the Mustang related forums are a wealth of information...............which I Thank You all.....all you POSTERS!!!! and you know who you are!!!!

Happy Labor Day...I love my Mustang! You?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

I agree the internet and forums can be a great source of information. Unfortunately they can also be a great source for things that can mess up your car. lol The news stand magazines are played out. It's like you said 4 Liter, just all advertising and very little substance in most of them.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:44 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke

Because I have seen plenty that include what you said you wanted to see.
True, there are acuattly some how-to articles and some gems of educational modding info, but unfortunately, they are rare (at least not as numerous as we want them to be).

Yeah, I did see an article on a 6er, but unfortunately, it was a show-boat article where it was a showcase of mods the owner put in, dumping more money into it such that he spent as much money as he would have if he bought a 2011 GT premium 'vert.

I remember as a child I bought a mag called Car Craft. I read a damn good educational article about rear diffs, and it included info such as gear pitch, heal, toe, etc. as well as great instructional info on how to set up the diff with the proper lash for optimal performance.
Though at the time I was too young to understand all that, I did my best to memorize it and when I was old enough to finally understand it, I had a wealth of info already in my brain; I just had to know what it all meant.

Today, I have not seen any articles that go into this depth of info. No torque specs on the bolts, no lash or other clearance recommendations for optimal performance, no procedural info on what to do, such as the correct order of disassembly/assembly, or even any tips on effective and proven assembly/diassembly shortcuts the experts use when building a component (a tranny for example).

I would love to know many things: How to choose fuel injectors by knowing lbf/hr curves for the application that I want to acheive. I would love to learn how to get into the ECU and create a tune just like how Bama and others do it. I would love to know how to gut and rebuild a bomb-proof tranny.

It's as if the mags want to force you to have to go to automotive school if you want to lean how to rebuild a carb, replace the pinion & ring gears in your diff, etc.

As stupid as what I am about to say, I cannot help to begin to think this: The mags might be purposefully withholding educational info from us, the mag consumers.

If there is such an article on tuning like how the pros do it, someone post what mag it was in, its year and month it was published so I can order that back issue.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:53 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
I agree the internet and forums can be a great source of information. Unfortunately they can also be a great source for things that can mess up your car. lol The news stand magazines are played out. It's like you said 4 Liter, just all advertising and very little substance in most of them.
Yeah, there is rgeat info here on the net to,, even just hear on MF.

However, I would love to see if there is a detailed thread with step by step instructions.
For example, gutting and rebuilding a tranny into a bomb-shelter of a gear box.

I am now hitting the search to see what I can dig up; if there is such a thread, I will link it back here.

However, I have been to the Tuners section, and I have seen dozens of tune threads outside of the Tuner section.
I have not seen a single thread that discusses HOW to create your own tune, how to get into the ECU, what variables to consider (MAF readings, O2 sensor readings, anti-knock readings, crank sensor readings, etc), and how to create a tune on all of these things.

Furthermore, I have not even seen any threads that discuss how to manipulate VCT by tune. Can VCT curves even be changed with a tune?
The 2011 Coyote 5.0 can bebefit so much with a tune that optimizes the TiVCT curves. And if you get custom cams for the Coyote (as they eventually will come out), having a tune for those new cam profiles will alsomost be necessary.

There are no mag articles that discuss VCT tuning and how to do it.
And from what I can see so far, I have not seen any tuning threads here on MF either.

But as I said earlier, I am going to hit the search button and hopfully dig some useful stuff up.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to go with "don't hold your breath" on that stuff JIM. I've never seen anything like that on any of these forums.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:34 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
I'm going to go with "don't hold your breath" on that stuff JIM. I've never seen anything like that on any of these forums.
I was afraid that it would boil down to that. I hit the search on tuning, and so far, I have yet found a damn thing on how to ACTUALLY tune. There are proabably several dozen more threads I have yet to even look into, but my search sadly agrees with your statement.

I absolutely hate it; our cars have so much in them now, and you can manipulate so much more today than you could back in the pushrod engine days. You can vary cam timing, you can electronically control ignition, and so much more that pushrod engines could never do in the old school days.

I am damn disappointed that NONE of the car mags have even dared to try to explan in depth variable valve timing and describe what optimum tuning profiles to shoot for.

It's terrible; I guess I will not hold my breath, just like you said.
So much info that can be written about and none of the car mags there go into them.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
I was afraid that it would boil down to that. I hit the search on tuning, and so far, I have yet found a damn thing on how to ACTUALLY tune. There are proabably several dozen more threads I have yet to even look into, but my search sadly agrees with your statement.

I absolutely hate it; our cars have so much in them now, and you can manipulate so much more today than you could back in the pushrod engine days. You can vary cam timing, you can electronically control ignition, and so much more that pushrod engines could never do in the old school days.

I am damn disappointed that NONE of the car mags have even dared to try to explan in depth variable valve timing and describe what optimum tuning profiles to shoot for.

It's terrible; I guess I will not hold my breath, just like you said.
So much info that can be written about and none of the car mags there go into them.
I'd wager that almost no one on these forums even know how VVT works without looking it up somewhere or for that matter that there is more than one way to do it. Mostly they slap on a CAI, download and canned tune and regard themselves as expert car guys. lol
Old 09-05-2010, 03:25 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I'm not so sure that I would grasp the concept "in depth" about variable valve timing if the best pro around was to explain it to me.
What I'm sure about though, is that I'm not alone in this boat.
So getting that from a Mag, good luck.

Why do you guys think that there are so few good tuners??
Yep.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
I'm not so sure that I would grasp the concept "in depth" about variable valve timing if the best pro around was to explain it to me.
What I'm sure about though, is that I'm not alone in this boat.
So getting that from a Mag, good luck.

Why do you guys think that there are so few good tuners??
Yep.

I'd wager you could pretty well grasp vvt pascal if you did some looking into it.

Quick Reply: Mustang Magazines Are Useless!!!