Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FI v6 in need of clutch !

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 11:34 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Default FI v6 in need of clutch !

anyone with a power adder running a upgraded clutch need some advice
was wondering what type of clutch you are running , and what you think of them , my stock clutch wont handle the power anymore , and thats with street tires , im not a 1/4 mile junkie , but I still like to go time to time , and i plan on getting drag radials and 8.8 for next year
would appreciate any help

Last edited by turbo 2.8; 09-06-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:59 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Spec!
Old 09-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I'm running a Centerforce DF clutch along with a SPEC aluminum flywheel. VERY happy with the combo.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:39 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I'm running a Centerforce DF clutch along with a SPEC aluminum flywheel. VERY happy with the combo.
I was just looking at the Centerforce ! started looking at Spec , but found a lot of bad reviews and horror stories ! I 'm just wondering how the center force will hold up with drag radials , not really wanting to redo the clutch every year . how long have you had yours (miles) done any drag racing ? also a member on here advised me to stay away from the aluminum fly wheel , he said it would bog due to less centrifugal weight , have you noticed any problems ?

Last edited by turbo 2.8; 09-07-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbo 2.8
I was just looking at the Centerforce ! started looking at Spec , but found a lot of bad reviews and horror stories ! I 'm just wondering how the center force will hold up with drag radials , not really wanting to redo the clutch every year . how long have you had yours (miles) done any drag racing ? also a member on here advised me to stay away from the aluminum fly wheel , he said it would bog due to less centrifugal weight , have you noticed any problems ?
I've had the Centerforce in there for about 12K mi. Pedal pressure is great, and I haven't had any issues with it not holding. I have some pretty hard launches on it, but haven't run drag radials. I have zero issues with bogging, but the X-Charger has stump pulling torque down low so that may offset any tendency that way.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Centerforce DF clutch here as well and have no complaints. I made the mistake of adding drag radials to the 7.5 rear with out not raising the rpm window for the nitrous. It transferred enough power to break the spider gears as soon as the nitrous hit maybe 15' off the line. Still haven't upgraded and am running around on the open rear.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:59 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Centerforce DF clutch here as well and have no complaints. I made the mistake of adding drag radials to the 7.5 rear with out not raising the rpm window for the nitrous. It transferred enough power to break the spider gears as soon as the nitrous hit maybe 15' off the line. Still haven't upgraded and am running around on the open rear.
Hey Jim , how long and how many miles do u have on your centerforce ? also forgot to ask if you had to up grade hydraulic clutch cylinder ?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:46 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbo 2.8
Hey Jim , how long and how many miles do u have on your centerforce ? also forgot to ask if you had to up grade hydraulic clutch cylinder ?
I'd guess around 5000 mi but i'd have to check my log to be sure.
I replaced the pilot bearing and resurfaced my flywheel. he recommendation is to replace the throwout bearing as well but its hydraulic ad runs aroun$150 I think so I passed on that and will just curse my self if I have to pull the trans again:-) Performance International has some of the best clutch pricing around so check them out.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

You can get the clutch slave cylinder/ throwout bearing assembly for about $110 at Rock Auto online. I'd recommend doing it just for peace of mind as long as the transmission is yanked anyway, and as Jim said, definitely put a fresh pilot bearing in too (dirt cheap)
Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

FYI..I checked and I've got 13k on the new clutch.
+1 to Rockauto, been buying from them for a while now. got the pilot bearing from them along with some other parts. the shipping can somtimes make the price no better than a local store. also, a local store like Advance Auto will price match if the item and warranty is the same.

Quick Reply: FI v6 in need of clutch !