Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rear Ended...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:42 AM
horribell

Default Rear Ended...

So this morning on my way to work I was rear ended by someone, who was obviously not paying attention. It was at the end of an exit ramp and I needed to yield to oncoming traffic before getting on the main road. So I proceeded at a slow crawl, nearly a stop, when BANG, missy in her 2003 Tiburon hits me in the rear. Without seeing how fast she was going, I would have to assume it was somewhere between 10-15mph. The damage is mainly scuffs, small dents, and a bent up license plate. The girl was nice enough and after assessing that no one was hurt we exchanged insurance info. I called her insurance company this morning to file a claim and scheduled an apt for tomorrow morning to have a claims adjuster look at the damage. My poor car has been hit several times in the 3 short years I have it, so I plan on taking it to the same body shop that I've gone to in the past. My question is, are there any possible internal damages that I should insist upon being checked? The accident occurred less than a mile from my work, so I havent had a chance to drive it much to see if anything feels off or is acting abnormal. I chatted with my grandfather through email this morning and he told me that just months after his last car was rear ended, he had $2,000 worth of trans repairs that were likely related to his accident. I want to be as thorough as I can obviously to avoid any future out of pocket expenses that could be accident related.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A good, experienced adjuster should be able to judge what unseen damages may exist. Unfortunately, getting a good adjuster is a coin toss.

Drivers are so distracted these days, especially younger folk that think that texting, cell phone use, sound systems, navionics, etc are as much a priority as defensive driving. I feel for you.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:59 AM
horribell

Originally Posted by Nuke
A good, experienced adjuster should be able to judge what unseen damages may exist. Unfortunately, getting a good adjuster is a coin toss.
I figured as much. I've dealt with this insurance company before (State Farm) and they were great as far as taking care of the claim quick and painlessly. Internal damage was an afterthought, but I don't think I had any from that accident. Reading up online I see some people have had radiator damage, leaks, motor mount damage, suspension issues, alignment, etc from as little as a 10mph impact... so it left me a little worried.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:21 PM
nvrblue13
1st Gear Member

i got hit by a texter and driver 2 weeks after i got the 2010. i was devastated. luckily it was only body damage. i feel for ya man. i wish you luck and the best. hope you get your baby back soon.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:55 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke

Drivers are so distracted these days, especially younger folk that think that texting, cell phone use, sound systems, navionics, etc are as much a priority as defensive driving. I feel for you.
Well, I guess I am a "younger folk", but I don't do that crap. Too nice of a car to mess up

I do, however, see people get rear ended coming in and out of the school lot atleast once a month. It's almost like TV, watching some idiot in their daddy's bmw rearend another idiot in mommy's benz, and then of course watching as they fight and yell. We had to hire a rent-a-cop dude to "observe" us, and they put up 10mph speed limit signs.

I do think there is some misconception about teen drivers. Most of us don't text and drive, or turn the speakers up all the way, or hot rod all over the place. I don't think "older folks" give us as much credit as we deserve. Alot of us are good, safe drivers. Just a few idiots stand out from the crowd and ruin our image.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

my wife and i traveled from tennessee to canada and back up the east coast this summer. (im a school teacher) in my truck and travel trailer. anyways, after being on the road for 30 days and visiting every major city on the east coast... we were on our last day of the journey when we pulled off the interstate in kentucky, stopped at a stop sign and WHAM! the sheriff rear ends my camper! I got out of the truck and asked if i was speeding? he said "naw, my foot slipped off the brake, and i didnt see you stopped there"

Those 30 foot campers are hard to spot at a stop sign! especially when they have been stopped for 30 full seconds.

Anyway, I got a nice sized check for that and repaired it myself, and pocketed nearly 4k dollars for my expertise in camper repair.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:02 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nvrblue13
i got hit by a texter and driver 2 weeks after i got the 2010. i was devastated. luckily it was only body damage. i feel for ya man. i wish you luck and the best. hope you get your baby back soon.
While out doing my work yesterday, I had an idiot in front of me texting! The light would turn green and he would miss it, then he would be drifting to the curb while trying to text. Speed limit was only 35, he was doing about 27. I would have gone around him, but by the time I got around him I had to take the next exit. I wish I were a cop sometimes!

Last edited by 07 Stang; 10-22-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:49 AM
horribell

Just got back from talking with the claims adjuster. Est. damage is a mere $503, which isn't bad at all. It's the smallest amount of damage my car has sustained in it's short little life, so that's good. I asked about the possibility of internal damage considering my stereo plate flew at me and all contents near it... I thought it might be possible something else could have shifted. He said if the body shop finds something they will come out and have a look. Of course, my body shop may not even bother to check anywhere else and I'm worried if I request it the insurance company won't cover it. The guy was kind of vague, which I guess is to be expected with insurance companies. They're sending a check to me today and I can schedule my appointment when it arrives. Coincidentally, I'm getting my car inspected tomorrow, so if there is anything major going on that I'm unaware of, there's a chance they could pick it up during inspection I guess. I just hope I don't get hosed in the long run. I feel like there's an invisible bullseye on the car or something. I swear some of these idiots on the road must get their licenses out of Cracker Jack boxes.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Good to know its less than a grand, I've had some bad stuff happen to mine, will post pics one day.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Tamorand
1st Gear Member

Had a fender bump with a girl last year and after week or so, I noticed some strange sounds from my exhaust - but having a V6 it wasn't loud enough to be noticable right off.

ended up being the midpipe on my exhaust had been bent up just enough that over the weeks the bumps from the road made it worse and worse until I ended up have to get it repaired.

Quick Reply: Rear Ended...