Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X or H pipe Dual Exhaust Pro's and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:03 AM
MustangScott
1st Gear Member

Default X or H pipe Dual Exhaust Pro's and Cons

Well, i dont know anything on the subject. Just thought it would be a good one to have up for people to put information in. I've heard a lot of "Go X pipe" "No go H pipe" stuff on the boards. I personally would relish the knowledge of why X or H. My friend says go X, he has a trans am, and my other buddy with a camero says go H. I would like to hear some recommendations, and reasons why, before i decide.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:01 AM
05redfireV6

Default RE: X or H pipe Dual Exhaust Pro's and Cons

There are a few things to consider about the design of each. I have an 05 V6 and I am happy with the H-pipe, but I had a 97 cobra and I definatly went with the x-pipe. The thing is the people usually go with an h-pipe more for sound, and I have heard (but don't know if it is true) that v-6's with x-pipe sound like crap. Either way the intent of the design is balance the exhaust pulses, otherwise, you get alot of vibration, and the engine seems to act like two engines. My 68 289 V8 didn't have a crossover, and I noticed that even though it was carburated, one side always ran lean. So I guess you could say I have had 3 different set-ups. I have always heard that the x-pipe kills low end torque, but ups top end horsepower. Just saying, what I have found out when I have been doing a little research. You have to rememeber that the V6 is mainly a low end torque kinda motor, whereas that cobra that I had was a high end horsepower motor. I guess it seems like I am rambiling, but I would recommend the h-pipe for the V-6, it would sound better and you wouldn't kill your low end torque for like 5 extra top end hp. Either way good luck to you.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:35 PM
haledixon

i just had gt takeoffs put on yesterday and went with h-pipe. i had him put it as far forward, before the bend, as he could. honestly, it sounds exactly the way i wanted it to. i went with the takeoffs because i didn't want it to sound like a beastly V8 wannabe, but rather wanted a nice open, throaty sound without being too loud. there are guys on the other boards (search for some of MSP's posts on stangnet.com) who are great advocates for the x-pipe and listening to the sound clips, they sound great, too. however, they're definitely going for performance modifications and if you aren't so concerned with that, the h-pipe should readily suffice. if you decide to go x-pipe, though, check with your muffler man and see if they can't fab one instead of blowing a bunch of $ on an overpriced bassini or something like that.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:41 PM
MooseStang88
2nd Gear Member

I had the same question as MustangScott. I don't know if you guys helped him or not but you helped me a lot.

Thanks