Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dual Exhaust Rattle!? PLEASE help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 AM
BKRmustangv6
1st Gear Member

Default Dual Exhaust Rattle!? PLEASE help!

Hey guys, i have a 07v6mustang. I just recently bought the NTO dual exhaust kit. I love the sound. But as soon as i drove it off the rack and on the highway...i noticed this terrible rattle comming from what sounds like under the gearshift. I have an automatic. When im going at constant speeds there is no rattle but when i turn, or slowly accelarate to speeds (like pulling out of my driveway into the road) there is this terrible rattle sounding like loose change just vibrating everywhere. I hope noone can hear this outside of my car. i paid almost $500 for it with installation and dont want it to be a waste. PLEASE if you have any comments of how you may help me please do so.
Thanks,
BKRmustangV6
Old 12-02-2010, 11:29 AM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...vibration.html

carefully read all four pages, good info as well as pics. also note that i pulled this page up my using advanced search of the forums, a useful tool because there are no new problems with the 4.0 v6, just reoccurring already discovered ones
Old 12-02-2010, 12:35 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

On your model 05-09 there are hangars located at the transmission, they should be removed as they are probably the cause of the vibration/drone. I will see if I can find a picture for you to show you where I'm talking about.

You will see in the picture on the right side what I am taking about!

Last edited by conejo172; 12-02-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
BKRmustangv6
1st Gear Member

Thank u for the reply.
Will that not hurt the transmission any?
I hope it works...this rattle is bad
Old 12-02-2010, 07:51 PM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

also check the driver side muffler, rear hanger. this hanger sometimes hits on the frame and needs to be cut a little shorter.
sounds like your problem is the trans mounts. they did away with the trans mount after a few years with problems. my 2010 doesnt have them
Old 12-02-2010, 08:22 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, this is good information.
I performed TSB 6-4-1, putting the clamps on the hanger isolators.
That worked fine in warm weather.
Now the rattle is back in cold weather.
This TSB says to cut the exhaust hanger rod isolator mount and clamps
used in TSB 6-4-1.
I had no idea these were a production aid and are not required.
Thanks again.

https://mustangforums.com/mustang-ts...12-3-2007.html
Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 PM
jpormen
2nd Gear Member

If you had a shop install them, take it back to them and tell them about they rattle they should fix it for free
Old 12-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Had the exact same problem w/ my Magnaflows...took it back to shop and lifted it. Found a bolt that was rubbing against the chassis. Shaved it down a bit, never happened ever again. PS - When I took it back, all the work was done for free.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:36 PM
jpormen
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Toxix
Had the exact same problem w/ my Magnaflows...took it back to shop and lifted it. Found a bolt that was rubbing against the chassis. Shaved it down a bit, never happened ever again. PS - When I took it back, all the work was done for free.
Your car looks awesome

When i got my 06 last spring the previous owner said he spent 800 for his magnaflows duals and i notice it rattled kind of bad. I took it to a local shop and 2 mins later and 5 bucks later it was fixed lol
Old 12-09-2010, 12:02 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

There's a couple other places rattles tend to occur, like where the mufflers/pipes go over the panhard bar and brace. But I too had front rattles for awhile, and it turned out to be cured with the TSB used to put the clamps on the transmission member hangers.

FWIW, I kept the trans mount hanger supports, to help support the whole system and prevent strain on the rear hangers, which don't do a good job of keeping the muffler hanger rods in the middle as they're too soft.

Rattles on dual exhaust can be annoying, but are also fairly easy to find and fix.

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust Rattle!? PLEASE help!