Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Turbo VS X-charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:35 PM
livinloud98
2nd Gear Member

i know for me, i hope to have an x-charger on my car by next year. its decently priced, makes good power, its safe and reliable, lots of torque for street driving. thats all i need.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:21 PM
cardude99
1st Gear Member

keep in mind the guy that had 440 hp had an upgraded supercharger from a procharger p1sc to a procharger d1sc, also he had ssm stage 3 heads and cams oh and his tq was 380 i believe.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cardude99
keep in mind the guy that had 440 hp had an upgraded supercharger from a procharger p1sc to a procharger d1sc, also he had ssm stage 3 heads and cams oh and his tq was 380 i believe.
Isnt that kinda low torque for that HP? From your sig your turbo has more torque than that. And wouldnt that low end torque make for better acceleration? Powerhouse has made some damn stout 4.0s with heads/cams and their turbos. They told me that 320RWHP with a 9PSI turbo with a good tune was what I would be looking at with their system, I forgot to ask about torque, that with heads/cams should be more than enough power.

Id like to get a chance to talk with you about you PH turbo and your opinion of it.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:57 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

400 is the limit....period. Once you start getting past that it really no longer becomes feasible. Not saying its not possible, its just not worth it anymore. There are not cheap readily available rods for the 4.0. Pistons are gonna cost you. Once you pass 400 it just makes more sense to move up to a GT, or pull a 4.6 swap if you know your savvy enough.

Have you considered a centri? Pro-charger makes a good setup for the 4.0. There have been alot of guys that have run that setup and been happy with it. A real middle ground if you will between the x and turbo.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

I want to stay with the 4.0, 400rwhp is still enough to put the car into shape to deal with the new stock 5.0s and SS cameros, I think ill just fo F/I with heads and cams and just be happy with whatever that gives me. My stubborn self is still stuck on the turbos, Im really impressed with the low end torque they put out at as little as 9PSI of boost. I just dont want to make a mistake going with a turbo when something else (the X would actually be better.)
Old 12-21-2010, 01:43 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Its really hard to say the x isn't the best FI option out there for our cars. It puts down good #'s and is really reliable. I'm doing a turbo build now, and if i had to do it all over again I would have done the procharger.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:43 PM
cardude99
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blue07V6
Isnt that kinda low torque for that HP? From your sig your turbo has more torque than that. And wouldnt that low end torque make for better acceleration? Powerhouse has made some damn stout 4.0s with heads/cams and their turbos. They told me that 320RWHP with a 9PSI turbo with a good tune was what I would be looking at with their system, I forgot to ask about torque, that with heads/cams should be more than enough power.

Id like to get a chance to talk with you about you PH turbo and your opinion of it.
superchargers usually have lower torque than hp in my experience. yes my car does, turbo's typically have higher tq than hp curves at least on these engines. turbo's produce more hp and torq per lb of boost than superchargers. turbos cost more, and are a little more expensive to maintain than an sc, but you will have the option with a turbo to choose the hp you want.
i went to my tuner and told him i want 370 hp and he got me 367 (close enough). i could have said 400 if i wanted but i wanted to keep it low enough to a point where i would have to worry about the engine. keep in mind you will have to buy a lot of supporting mods with a turbo, look at my sig cause you will need all those things (though the trans is excessive, you could just do a 3650 swap) oh and you will need a new gt500 fuel pump, that is my next mod.

powerhouses dyno is a mustang dyno and reads less than typical dyno, not trying to knock it at all, it just reads lower thats all. i had 330 hp at 7.5 psi so at 9 psi prob between 350-370 hp, figure about 12% more tq than hp at lease in my experiences.

i love the turbo, its fast as hell. i must say i had to learn the hard way to do things and that is y i am telling you what needs to be done so you dont make my mistakes. the catch is i have spent way to much money on mt car due to it. i regret the money spent, but i dont at the same time cause i have a smile every time i drive.

if you are on a budget and want safe, go with the x charger, if you want tons of tq and lots of hp to match, plus the uniqueness of a domestic turbo then go powerhouse.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

I just finished the install on my X-Charger and no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to wipe this huge $hit eating grin off my face

Very happy with the X. No wait, scratch that. I'm THRILLED with the X

Tons of low end torque. Amazing get up and go. And the car just feels like a BEAST now.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Well you cant ignoe the masses, seems the X-charger is immensly popular.

So, whats the RWHP of the Hi-Po kit as compared with the intercooled Xtreme kit? The Hi-Po kit is $4100 (w/o tuner) the Xtreme is $5700 (w/o tuner) Is it feasible to start with the hi-po and later add the intercooler? (yeah you spend a little more buying seperately but that would put the X on my car months sooner)
Old 12-22-2010, 01:05 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blue07V6
Well you cant ignoe the masses, seems the X-charger is immensly popular.

So, whats the RWHP of the Hi-Po kit as compared with the intercooled Xtreme kit? The Hi-Po kit is $4100 (w/o tuner) the Xtreme is $5700 (w/o tuner) Is it feasible to start with the hi-po and later add the intercooler? (yeah you spend a little more buying seperately but that would put the X on my car months sooner)
You can do that, almost everyone who has an IC with their X did it that way, but only because the IC wasn't available when we installed our X's. I'd wait until you have the cash for the whole kit before you pull the trigger, it will be worth the wait to not have to pull the blower and reinstall it later.

Quick Reply: Turbo VS X-charger