Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

does the brand of cai really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:59 PM
stang1012
1st Gear Member

Default does the brand of cai really matter?

It seems the prices really vary. I've seen 40 bucks up to 300. Just wondering what makes bbk which is about 200 any better then some off brand that sells for 70?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Well, yes and no. lol

C@L, JLT, Steeda, FRPP, K@N, those are all solid brands.

Personally, I've found Spectre and BBK to be terrible products, I had a BBK on my 99 GT when I had it and it was pretty but that metal tube got hot as all hell even after a short drive.

Far as costs, I'd highly suggest checking forum classifieds regularly and getting a used one. Long as all the parts are there, why pay full cost? I have a C@L Racer intake which retails for $380 new and I got it with 1,000 miles on it for $200 shipped.

Also a good bit are on ebay as well, but a lot of junk as well.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:36 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Those are some solid brands, I believe Doug @ Bama got the highest gains for a v6 using the Tuneable Inductions . I love mine. If you get a well built (not cheap like Spectre) product, the next step to make it noticeable is a tune.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The no-tune required CAI's perform a bit worse than the tune-required CAI's, but in each of those 2 classes, they're equivalent from brand to brand. But then, you've read the info on the forum and decided that a no-tune required CAI's aren't worth squat anyway so you won't bother unless you get a CAI & custom tune combo...
Old 01-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Franchi
Well, yes and no. lol

C@L, JLT, Steeda, FRPP, K@N, those are all solid brands.

Personally, I've found Spectre and BBK to be terrible products, I had a BBK on my 99 GT when I had it and it was pretty but that metal tube got hot as all hell even after a short drive.

Far as costs, I'd highly suggest checking forum classifieds regularly and getting a used one. Long as all the parts are there, why pay full cost? I have a C@L Racer intake which retails for $380 new and I got it with 1,000 miles on it for $200 shipped.

Also a good bit are on ebay as well, but a lot of junk as well.
I'm gonna agree with you about the metal tubing getting hott but... I've found from experience go get some heat tape and wrap it and it will be just fine I ordered the $85 cai from American muscle and it's metal so I wraped it and it works like a charm
Old 01-10-2011, 03:46 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

If it doesn't need a tune it isn't doing much. The computer runs a program. The program includes fuel maps. The maps dictate the cars performance. If you don't reprogram the computer you see no gains. Sorry guys. And unless your forced induction complete waste of money
Old 01-10-2011, 04:59 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I believe by 06 they eliminated the throttle body heater but if not, and you're worried about heat affecting your intake, do the by pass
Old 01-10-2011, 06:05 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

As long as it is a reputable brand, like pretty much all of the CAIs on American Muscle, it really doesn't matter. Just pick the coolest looking one. IMO, it's the C&L CAI, which is what I have and love.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:45 PM
the_Pete

Originally Posted by stang1012
It seems the prices really vary. I've seen 40 bucks up to 300. Just wondering what makes bbk which is about 200 any better then some off brand that sells for 70?
What really matters is the size of the intake. The idea is to increase the available airflow so that you can remap the ECU and get better performance.

Brand is not as important as function. Go with the larger diameter intakes (which require retuning) if you want to get any real benefit.

Cheers
Old 01-10-2011, 07:25 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Nuke is absolutely correct. a CAI without a tune is like ***** on a bull. The really cheap ones do not have a tune, so stay away from those.

Or if you do get one without a tune, be sure to buy a tuner separately and order a tune for your car and new CAI.

If anything, man up and but a CAI kit that comes with the tune, then you will get some really noticeable power out of your car. These usually come with the tune specifically just for that CAI and your car.

Quick Reply: does the brand of cai really matter?