Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rear Window Louver

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:27 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
My A-H aluminum are held in place by 4 brackets that are attached to the corners of the rear window glass. WHEN PREPARED AND INSTALLED PROPERLY, they won't fly off. I frequently run 120-130 MPH and other than dealing with some howling at speeds over 100, they've held up just fine. Same thing for my side scoops. It's all in the surface preparation and following other instructions including cure time.
Yeah, know it's held great for you and others, but I still trust it about as much as my congressman. ABS was 4 brackets as well.

Still requires perfection really, and I'm still waiting to see what outcome more than a couple years has on staying adhered down the road.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:28 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

ABS is a plastic. I've heard it can fade over time from UV rays.

My A-H aluminum are held in place by 4 brackets that are attached to the corners of the rear window glass. WHEN PREPARED AND INSTALLED PROPERLY, they won't fly off. I frequently run 120-130 MPH and other than dealing with some howling at speeds over 100, they've held up just fine. Same thing for my side scoops. It's all in the surface preparation and following other instructions including cure time.
So in your opinion, If i buy this louver, clean the back window thoroughly, put 3m tape on with time, then add the louver with intended perfection, should I have any problems? When I install this item I don't intend to rush it. And have you heard of anyone loosing there louvers like the other guy stated?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Louvers and other add-ons that use 3M tape WILL come off if not installed per the instructions. The biggest mistakes people made IMO are these:
  1. planning: layout and be **** about marking your bracket locations. once they're attached, you need to get new ones if you screw them up. KNOW what the install entails before permanently attaching anything.
  2. surface prep: you can't use regular 70% rubbing alcohol. Either 90+% or buy a solvent made for surface preping. It's easy to find at most any auto parts place.
  3. surface temperature: I believe the instructions call for between 60 and 80 degrees F. Check the instructions. This includes cure time to the best of your ability.
  4. cure time: do not drive the vehicle for 24 hours. Vibration WILL affect curing.
If I recall, my instructions recommended putting a bead of silicone around the bracket to keep water from getting underneath but it wasn't necessary. If done properly, 3M tape will hold up just fine to rain, car washing, etc.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:57 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

Louvers and other add-ons that use 3M tape WILL come off if not installed per the instructions. The biggest mistakes people made IMO are these:
  1. planning: layout and be **** about marking your bracket locations. once they're attached, you need to get new ones if you screw them up. KNOW what the install entails before permanently attaching anything.
  2. surface prep: you can't use regular 70% rubbing alcohol. Either 90+% or buy a solvent made for surface preping. It's easy to find at most any auto parts place.
  3. surface temperature: I believe the instructions call for between 60 and 80 degrees F. Check the instructions. This includes cure time to the best of your ability.
  4. cure time: do not drive the vehicle for 24 hours. Vibration WILL affect curing.
If I recall, my instructions recommended putting a bead of silicone around the bracket to keep water from getting underneath but it wasn't necessary. If done properly, 3M tape will hold up just fine to rain, car washing, etc.
These seem like some great instructions, my only concern is that the website say they only come with 3m tape, what about the brackets? or are you just talking about the louver itself?
Old 01-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My A-H louvers have 4 (or was it 6; 3 per side in lieu of 2? It's been awhile and the car is at home in the garage) flat black aluminum brackets that attach to the window corners with 3M tape. Two of the brackets on each side have a threaded stud that protrudes thru the louver frame (and the top bracket has a U-shaped clip that the louver simply slips under so it's probably 6 brackets unless the top one had both the clip AND the stud). There are 4 black thumb nuts that hold the louver to the brackets.

I recall seeing installation instructions on either the A-H website or on the AM website. Can't recall. Getting old(er) sux...
Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

Alright sounds good, so with the options that this website provides, is textured ABS better, without paint?
It shows aluminum louvers in the picture, but i don't want them to be plastic looking when i get them

Last edited by markkk; 01-14-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

1. I can't say that I care for ABS, period
2. The ones that you linked to in your original post SOUND as if they attach in such a way that you can't remove them. At least with the A-H, I can take my louvers off to clean the window by removing the 4 thumbscrews.

I think you can find something better.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:30 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

I think the picture is showing the aluminum louvers when actually they are the ABS plastic looking ones. Louvers like those sell for abott 450 bucks
Old 01-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Bait12

Originally Posted by wayne613
The 2 variations I've seen all seem to just be the same companies just being resold by different places.

Look great so long as you take the time to do this perfectly the first time. However, none of these IMO are recommended if you take the car >70mph for any extended periods even if you do it perfectly.

I'd give a kidney for one that you could actually properly mount without double-sided tape, silicone, and prayer.

Mine that I got shortly after the car from AM is now the centerpiece of some guy's front yard further downstate off Rt13 here. Ripped right off. Was going to salvage, but that just did far too much damage to it.
EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't realize there was a second page to this thread. I just answered my own question by reading more. Sorry.

Last edited by Bait12; 01-14-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:35 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by markkk
Alright sounds good, so with the options that this website provides, is textured ABS better, without paint?
It shows aluminum louvers in the picture, but i don't want them to be plastic looking when i get them
Check here. Both versions are listed there, and I´d be more inclined to get from AM. Were I to roll the dice again, I´d spend the extra $150 for the aluminium one. Install pdf for that one here.

If you look closely you can see the 2 on the passenger-side that are screwed down.

You do the prep work that Nuke states, the 4 like 2 inch by 4 inch plates with a bolt are put down, then the louver itself is put on and held onto the plate with that bolt with the close-ended nuts tightened by hand.

Last edited by wayne613; 01-14-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Window Louver