Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BBK CAI?????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Max Duncan
1st Gear Member

Thumbs down BBK CAI?????????

If I install a BBK CAI that requires no tune on my my 05 v6 will it increase my 0-60 time at all?? And if so by how much?
Old 01-15-2011, 11:24 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

As much as everyone really wants a cheap cold air intake, they aren't the best. Your 0-60 time may increase a little bit, but it will be even better with a bigger CAI and a good tune. IMO id get a a thick tube CAI and an SCT Tuner so your 0-60 will increase much more than just a BBK CAI with no tune.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Barely. A no-tune required CAI is worth MAYBE 4-6 RWHP. Even a stand-alone 87 octane custom tune will give you double that or more. Best bet is CAI & tune combo or wait until you can afford it.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:45 PM
Max Duncan
1st Gear Member

I know the tuner is the best bet for performance but I don't want to drop that much money down at the moment because my aunt is going to buy me a 2011 v6 mustang when I get my BA degree in a couple of years. But I do want to add a little extra hp because I love my mustang and I love to drive. If both of you are telling me it would only increase my 0-60 time by 0.1 or 0.2 seconds I might hold off on that. But do you guys know if actual mustang dealerships would tune my car similar to an SCT or Diablo??
Old 01-15-2011, 11:50 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Max Duncan
I know the tuner is the best bet for performance but I don't want to drop that much money down at the moment because my aunt is going to buy me a 2011 v6 mustang when I get my BA degree in a couple of years. But I do want to add a little extra hp because I love my mustang and I love to drive. If both of you are telling me it would only increase my 0-60 time by 0.1 or 0.2 seconds I might hold off on that. But do you guys know if actual mustang dealerships would tune my car similar to an SCT or Diablo??
Trust me man I went through the same crap. I also wanted to figure out if a dealership or some special place could tune my car, but nope. The tuner becomes connected to the car so you can't do so, bummer right? So IMO I wouldn't get the BBK CAI since it won't improve the car's performance as much. As much as you want the performance and thrill NOW save it for later and itll be ever more awesome. CAI and tuner combos are like 600 bucks so sell your mods off of your car and save up for mods on that 2011 v6. This may be a couple of years but itll pay off then.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Max Duncan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by markkk
Trust me man I went through the same crap. I also wanted to figure out if a dealership or some special place could tune my car, but nope. The tuner becomes connected to the car so you can't do so, bummer right? So IMO I wouldn't get the BBK CAI since it won't improve the car's performance as much. As much as you want the performance and thrill NOW save it for later and itll be ever more awesome. CAI and tuner combos are like 600 bucks so sell your mods off of your car and save up for mods on that 2011 v6. This may be a couple of years but itll pay off then.

I heard though that if you call SCT you can wipe the tuner clean for 150 but if you already checked with dealerships then yea I'll just hold off on mods until then.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:05 AM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

I heard though that if you call SCT you can wipe the tuner clean for 150 but if you already checked with dealerships then yea I'll just hold off on mods until then.
Yeah i called some guy at a performance shop that knew stuff about it and thats what he told me.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:02 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Barely. A no-tune required CAI is worth MAYBE 4-6 RWHP. Even a stand-alone 87 octane custom tune will give you double that or more. Best bet is CAI & tune combo or wait until you can afford it.
+1, I made this rookie mistake when I got the car. BBK no-tune. Bites.

The only confusion I still have since I no longer have the stock box and tube is what to replace it with. JLT I think is one, I just want to get the biggest gain one now and be done with it. Have the tuner already, so I can just ask the guy´s for a new one.

So the question that still remains...JLT or C&L for the most likely better gain one with a tune? I assume the likely answer is whichever has the largest overall maintained diameter to the throttlebody, in this case the likely answer from the 2 (for the GT flavor in my case) for our generation mustang would be the C&L here?*Pokes Nuke*

Last edited by wayne613; 01-16-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:49 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

No tune performance mods are almost always completely worthless. Get a tuner if you want to see any gain at all, no matter how small. We need a stickied thread that is titled "DON'T BUY COLD AIR INTAKES THAT DO NOT REQUIRE TUNERS". Then maybe less people would come here with this stuff.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:54 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

If both of you are telling me it would only increase my 0-60 time by 0.1 or 0.2 seconds I might hold off on that.
Not even. Seriously, a CAI without a tune is worthless. Get the SCT tuner with the tunes from Bama for 400 dollars. Much better performance increase even without the CAI, and best part is, if you buy a CAI later, Bama will tune you for free.

Quick Reply: BBK CAI?????????