Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got my car Dyno Tuned!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:09 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I thought the whole point of higher octane is it can withstand more compression before detonation (not as in the actual compression of the cylinders but advance time as you said), therefore delivering more power.

On a side note, many independent dynos have confirmed that our transmissions are more efficient than the standard 15-20% loss.

Last edited by JCON; 01-27-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Like I said on your other posting... Your A/F at idle is irrelevant, its normal to see a lean A/F at idle. All that matters is A/F @ WOT.
And like I said in the other posting, can you read the dyno graph? It showed 15:1 at A/F ratio at WOT. Look at the AM dyno sheet, look at the A/F ratio readout on the bottom, it reads 15:1.

Originally Posted by JCON
I thought the whole point of higher octane is it can withstand more compression before detonation (not as in the actual compression of the cylinders but advance time as you said), therefore delivering more power.
What you say is correct. Higher octane can be compressed more in the cylinder and timing can be advanced to produce more power. Doesn't change the compression of the engine, just allows more compression in the cylinders.

Last edited by Avalanch3; 01-27-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:24 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I should have been more clear in my verbiage
Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 PM
timk

don't know if you guys realize this, but those tuned dyno numbers are only slightly off of a 5.0 pushrod engine, at least a stock one. my 94 gt 5 speed was 201hp and 245tq when it was stock.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:37 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Avalanch3;7392139]And like I said in the other posting, can you read the dyno graph? It showed 15:1 at A/F ratio at WOT. Look at the AM dyno sheet, look at the A/F ratio readout on the bottom, it reads 15:1.[b]

And what means did they use to measure A/F?
Old 01-28-2011, 07:28 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

the S197 V6 is faster than a stock 4.6 SN95. I like the 5.0 block better but it's still a V8.

Much older but, my friends '82 Vette is only 200HP, although 300LB TQ
Old 01-28-2011, 10:39 PM
timk

yeah, i'm very surprised by the dyno numbers considering it's stated output. i've had several of my v8's dyno'd over the years, bone stock.
94 gt: 201hp, 245tq
99 gt: 235hp, 260tq
98 cobra: 255hp, 255tq

of course, the v8's woke up with mods. but when comparing a stock v8, the v6 is just not THAT far away.

Last edited by timk; 01-28-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:04 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

Is that out of a sixxer or an 8. I have the mobile version so I can't see where you are posting from. Is it from a new edge.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:33 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

I hate to burst your bubble, but there's four big problems with this.

1.) The tailpipe sniffer fell out during the run, you can see at the very end. On top of that, a sniffer runs at least half a point leaner than it really is through stock cats. 15 would be 14.5, and so on. With that being said, you wouldn't have made the horsepower you did AND I'm willing to bet the dyno shop rigged it to produce that AFR by keeping it out of the flow of the exhaust. Also, if it had actually been 15 AFR (which I'm willing to bet it wasn't) why would a trusted professional continue to pull the car to redline and put your motor in danger?

2.) The Bama results are SAE corrected numbers and the dyno tuned results are UNCORRECTED. If they SAE corrected their results, they'd be identical to ours.

3.) It was pulled in the wrong gear. You don't have a "dyno lock" file for your Bama tune, so the car downshifted and was pulled in 3rd gear as opposed to 4th. The have a dyno lock file, there's stayed in fourth. The dyno lock file is something only used on the dyno (that we would have had to provide for you upon request).

4.) The dyno lock file also locks the torque converter (which is responsible for the "huge torque increase" with their tune, and the "smooth" graph.

We will personally pay to have you and your car flown here, and we'll compare your tune vs. the dyno tune on our dynojet the right way (while you're watching) to show you the truth.

I hate it when dyno shops lie to customers.

Last edited by AMChrisRose; 02-01-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:05 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
I hate to burst your bubble, but there's four big problems with this.

1.) The tailpipe sniffer fell out during the run, you can see at the very end. On top of that, a sniffer runs at least half a point leaner than it really is through stock cats. 15 would be 14.5, and so on. With that being said, you wouldn't have made the horsepower you did AND I'm willing to bet the dyno shop rigged it to produce that AFR by keeping it out of the flow of the exhaust. Also, if it had actually been 15 AFR (which I'm willing to bet it wasn't) why would a trusted professional continue to pull the car to redline and put your motor in danger?

2.) The Bama results are SAE corrected numbers and the dyno tuned results are UNCORRECTED. If they SAE corrected their results, they'd be identical to ours.

3.) It was pulled in the wrong gear. You don't have a "dyno lock" file for your Bama tune, so the car downshifted and was pulled in 3rd gear as opposed to 4th. The have a dyno lock file, there's stayed in fifth. The dyno lock file is something only used on the dyno (that we would have had to provide for you upon request).

5.) The dyno lock file also locks the torque converter (which is responsible for the "huge torque increase" with their tune, and the "smooth" graph.

We will personally pay to have you and your car flown here, and we'll compare your tune vs. the dyno tune on our dynojet the right way (while you're watching) to show you the truth.

I hate it when dyno shops lie to customers.
Another problem...... you went 1,2,3,5. Haha, just messin with you.

You are joking about flying him out there right? I'm sure he'd rather drive, LOL!

Quick Reply: Got my car Dyno Tuned!