Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Performance Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Default Performance Upgrades

When I start modding the Mustang again, I'm threw with appearance and want to start getting into the performance end of things. I'm completely new to this, but I think I want to start with a throttle body, spacer, CAI and a tune. How much of an HP gain can I expect from this set up?

I have some time to think about it and want to do the most gains without going for a turbo or supercharger.... YET
Old 03-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Throttle body spacer is a good paper weight, not a good performance mod. Many people experience problems with them and see no gains from it.

As for a CAI, JLT and CnL are the best because they require a tune. Order a tuner package and request a race tune with the highest octane available in your area and you'd be set.

Do you have an exhaust?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:44 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Ive got the cai and tune. Gotta say, its almost like night and day in the throttle response alone. Get that first, its easy, relatively cost effective-not exactly cheap at around $300 but does increase MPG's (lol). But I have no idea with the other two you mentioned, sorries...

Also, I was meaning to ask you- how does that flowmaster sound? sorry for threadjack but I was looking for a slightly louder stock sound. Is that kinda what its like? Cause I dislike the popping I hear with some stangs, and am worried about that. Thanks T!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:48 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

The Cai and tuner are a good start, some people don't worry about the throttle body until they supercharge/turbocharge their cars, out of respect don't get a throttle spacer they don't do anything other than add color under the hood. Dual exhaust would be good after the cai/tune, that will get you more noise than hp, then after that either a upgrade to 8.8 rear end with 3.73 or 4.10 gears or rebuilding the 7.5 rear end.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Originally Posted by Avalanch3
Throttle body spacer is a good paper weight, not a good performance mod. Many people experience problems with them and see no gains from it.

As for a CAI, JLT and CnL are the best because they require a tune. Order a tuner package and request a race tune with the highest octane available in your area and you'd be set.

Do you have an exhaust?
Oh ok. So I shouldn't do a new throttle body? Like I said I'm completely new to this whole thing and really appreciate the advice. I will probably order a tune package with CAI, unless thats a bad thing. I do have a single flowmaster exhaust.

Last edited by Tanner05; 03-22-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Ive got the cai and tune. Gotta say, its almost like night and day in the throttle response alone. Get that first, its easy, relatively cost effective-not exactly cheap at around $300 but does increase MPG's (lol). But I have no idea with the other two you mentioned, sorries...

Also, I was meaning to ask you- how does that flowmaster sound? sorry for threadjack but I was looking for a slightly louder stock sound. Is that kinda what its like? Cause I dislike the popping I hear with some stangs, and am worried about that. Thanks T!
No problem.
I love the way it sounds. Mine does have some pop when I push in the clutch. I like the way it pops, but if you don't like that sound maybe the muffler shop can fix it. It does have some drone on the highway though, its fine when I'm alone, but a little annoying when you have someone in the car. Oh and expect your MPG to go down. Lol
And yes a Tune is first on the list.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Originally Posted by obxdude018
The Cai and tuner are a good start, some people don't worry about the throttle body until they supercharge/turbocharge their cars, out of respect don't get a throttle spacer they don't do anything other than add color under the hood. Dual exhaust would be good after the cai/tune, that will get you more noise than hp, then after that either a upgrade to 8.8 rear end with 3.73 or 4.10 gears or rebuilding the 7.5 rear end.
What exactly do new gears do? My friends have explained it to me a few times, but I don't really understand.
It helps on your take off, but does it build HP?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:04 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Gears do nothing for hp, it will feel like you have more horsepower, but you don't you sacrifice top speed for acceleration, our cars come with 3.31 final gear ratios which means the driveshaft spins 3.31 times to 1 rotation of the tires. Trac-loc's allow you to deliver power to both wheels, no more 1 wheel burnouts if that is your thing.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Better getting a 8.8 takeoff rear end with 3.73's if you eventually go F/I.

Gears change the final drive ratio of the car, sacrificing top end for acceleration. Your car will rev quicker but will suffer MPG loss because RPM's will increase at cruising speeds.

Get the CAI + Tune combo, its the best thing you can do.

A single flowmaster is sufficient for now, going duals right now honestly won't pick you up any performance gains except for diff sound and appearance reasons.

Honestly there isn't much else you can do that can give you a healthy performance boost than a CAI + Tune. You can try doing suspension work, makes the car a lot more fun to drive!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Dual exhaust is more for appearance and a little better sound. I would suggest the CAI/Tune as your next mod. Your Stang will feel like a completely different car! The throttle response is amazing and will make your car so much more fun to drive!

Quick Reply: Performance Upgrades