Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need education on automatic tranny on V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 12:19 AM
kingstrunner

Default Need education on automatic tranny on V6

anyone,

can modifications be done on a V6 with an auto tranny aside from CAI, exhaust, suspension, wheels.

My question is if I install a CAI, fool around with the chip and ??? will my V6 auto be a decent street machine. I know manual tranny rules. My last two cars (Tercel and Saturn SL2) were 5 speed tranny---but this time around I bought a auto tranny.

So all you Veterans---lets see some of your suggestions and rants and raves,

Thanks
Old 08-31-2005, 12:46 AM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Need education on automatic tranny on V6

Get an SCT-2 tuner from Bamachips.com. It vastly improves the shift points and driveability of the auto. One thing you might like hearing, the auto in the V6 is the same as the auto in the GT. The manual is weaker in the V6. The SCT-2 should be first on your list or at least at the same time as your other first mod(s).
Old 08-31-2005, 12:51 AM
buscg

Ditto on what he said. Bought one from bamachips and now no more lag.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:34 AM
05V6inMD
1st Gear Member

CAI and SCT tune (got mine from Brent and Brenspeed.com) significantly ratcheted up the fun factor on my V6 automatic..
Old 09-01-2005, 05:17 PM
headhuntersps

I used the Superchip in my car. Same thing...Big difference in response. I was constantly reaching over and clicking off the overdrive to get the thing to do anything. Now just throttle up!

Other quick mods that give big gains...

K & N Cold Air Intake
JBA H Pipe Duals (or any true dual system)
JBA Headers (or any header system)
Rear sway bar
Eibach rear springs (drops the rear out of the air and lowers center of gravity...no one needs to look under your skirt)
Wider Tires!

These with the reprograming of your computer and you have a fun ride.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:38 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

The nice thing with the X-Cal2 is you can adjust the transmission shift schedule.... I had the fact that the tranny upshifted so early... I mean the car would be in 3rd gear by 16MPH!!! Not any more... I don't come out of 1st until at least 20MPH!!!

And for the strip the new auto tranny is awesome! It basically bangs the redline every gear and IT NEVER MISSES!!! LOL!

Here a little flyer I made up that sits on the front of my car at the car shows:

Old 09-08-2005, 07:18 PM
burdweiser
2nd Gear Member

so what difference would the xcal2 make on a manuel transmission since I am doing the shifting?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:47 PM
chrisc65
2nd Gear Member

the differences are endless... hopefully soon the xcal2 will be loads more fun for individuals to f_u*c-k with
Old 09-13-2005, 03:48 AM
kingstrunner

Thanks for the responses. You people are going to get me broke---spending all this money

Anyways, I bought the CAI/XCal2 special from JMSCHIPS today. Should have here in Frisco by Friday. I'll do the install on the week end. I already have an H-pipe dualie system with Flowmaster 40s installed. Nice sound. Based on your posts, I may have significant improvement in shifting, gas mileage, and hauling ***.

OK...need opinions on the following: I looking at getting an Eibach suspension kit, gas shocks, Bullit wheels and fat tires (245s). Do you folks have any economical advice on whats out there? I've been doing online shopping so I don't get dinged with California sales tax.

Thanks again and be safe.

Kingstrunner's ride: Legend Lime Green 2005 Mustang V6, automatic, dual exhaust, H-pipe with Flowmaster 40s, stock engine (as of this post), stock suspension, stock wheels and tires.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kingstrunner
Anyways, I bought the CAI/XCal2 special from JMSCHIPS today. Should have here in Frisco by Friday. I'll do the install on the week end.
Yo kingstrunner---will you PLEASE post some feedback about the installation and resulting performance with the JMS CAI/Xcal2 performance kit?? That is high on my "wish list" and I'm wanting to hear folk's impressions!

Quick Reply: Need education on automatic tranny on V6