Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT Grille

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 10:07 PM
headhuntersps

Default RE: GT Grille

Well that is very interesting. It is rubber so I guess the cuts are easy to make from a mechanical stand point. I just didn't find it to easy to cut up my $23,000.00 car. That was the hard part for me. However, my friend decided to go ahead and get the T2 kit that you are talking about and he sat around about half a day before he convienced himself to go ahead and cut it. According to the instructions you cut 3 to 3-1/2 in cuts out of each side of the bumper cover lower corners all the way up to about 1/4" from the front of the cavity. Then you cut off the side part of the bumper cover where the side clips of the grille would go into the bumper cover. After than you cut the bottom area between the clips from what I am getting from my friend and the instructions that he sent me...what is left? That is a lot of cutting to be doing on a new car. If was way to much for me. Then you screw the grille in. He said you also cut the bottom recesses off the cover that goes over the grille so it sits down farther which makes those factory holes useless. So you then have to use two screws to screw that on instead of using the factory clips. I think I would just rather go with a small gap that know one notices.

I will scan in the instructions later this evening and post the pictures of the cut up bumper cover from the actual instructions so you can see what I am talking about.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:34 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

they are all hack jobs IMO! you dont cut your bumper to squeez something in that will over time continue to tear. the only two right ways so far is the 06 pony grill (if you like the small lights ) or use the street scene kit that is a v6 frame with the gt light mounts molded in and then a custom grill insert. they have 4 finishes. powder coated black (like mine) black crome, crome and aluminum.
the black one is availible now and the others are coming!

notice at the front, Amazing no stupid overhang!

[IMG]local://upfiles/14019/203617D71E074A1A8349C40B86F48B25.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-02-2005, 07:20 AM
buscg

Afixer, where did you get the street scene at. I have yet to see them on my usual browsing spots. How much do they run? Also they come with the fog lights and the wiring harnesses, correct? Thanks
Old 09-03-2005, 11:36 PM
headhuntersps

Well I am not sure how you classify a hack job? I classify a hack job as a job that requires you to hack up or jack up your car in order to do the mod. I have the GT kit in my car and I got it from West Coast and it did not require any hacking of any kind. I did have to use some elbow grease to get the grille in. But that has been nearly six months ago and there is no signs of tears, rips or any other problems that you described in your post. I have had the GT grille out to get striping done and put it back in. I even checked when I had the GT grille out and my original stock goes right back in. I don't call that a hack job. I recently had my car at a Roush car show and they had me park my car right in with the Roush Cars...No one noticed my grille swap or had any problem with it. In fact another guy that had a V6 with the same grille conversion was sitting right next to me and all we go was compliments.

Now as far as the Street Scene grille goes, it sounds really nice and would like to see one up close. The pictures on the Street Scene sight are pretty far away to make a good assessment. But if it is all you say it is, it sounds nice. I like the look of the lights in the center. Would like to see it.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:35 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

well a hack job is a hack job. sorry if i hurt your fealings but hey if you like it thats all that matters. here are some pics of the grill close up. i wanted the grill realy bad too but was unwilling to force it or cut it. i work in the movie industry (special effects) and we do this typ of stuff all the time. but that temporary just to get the shot or to crash a car. i am sure that someone will come out with something to rival the SS grills but for now unless you want the pony grill this is the only one made specificly for the smaller opening. i am not tring to start a fight just some good old fashion talk. thats what theses forums are for. good luck with your grill i hope it gives you years of fun!

[IMG]local://upfiles/14019/623568235A0F4B3B9F068B2E2ABE6BFD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14019/130FE496C29041A2AD8713A698ED27FB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-04-2005, 08:01 PM
burdweiser
2nd Gear Member

looks good afixer. I can't wait to replace my GT grille and get rid of that overhang!
Old 09-04-2005, 10:35 PM
headhuntersps

You didn't hurt my feelings. I don't consider what I have done to my car a hack job, I just wanted to express my opinion of what a hack job was. You are absolutely right, good conversation and helpful tips, locations to purchase things are exactly what I think forums are all about. I don't consider my overhang to be of consequence either. As I said, I haven't had anyone walk up to me or my car and say...WOW WOULD YOU LIKE AT THAT!!!! THAT OVER HANG OH MY GOD! I think if you have read MOST people that have done this conversion or have seen the conversion in person they are all saying the same thing, no one notices the gap, overhang, whatever you want to call it, and even if they did, they don't realize it isn't supposed to be that way.

I like the look of your car, as I said before. I REALLY like the SS grille with the lights in the middle and would consider changing. But your pictures don't show a good picture of the mess or the way that SS connects the Foglight mounts in their grille. All I see is black. It looks GREAT from the pictures, but that is what I am trying to see. Can you post a clear picture of that. We know that they use the V6 shell so the overhang is not an issue with this grille. As I said, your car looks great and the grille definately fits well. I also read on another of your posting that your grille is a prototype. Is this true and if so, when will they have these grilles available? Is the grille with the lights in the middle available yet? I don't see on their website where you can purchase them. Please let me know, as I said, I am interested in the grille with the lights in the middle that looks really cool. My brother had a 1968 Shelby GT500KR and now has a 1970 Shelby GT500 and I really like this look.

Here is an up close from West Coast's ad.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13037/5B1E563BFD3F4515A0D47DAE57AE3EC8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-05-2005, 01:41 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

ok first basicly picture the v6 grill then cut everything out except the frame then take the 2 light mounts and cut them out of the gt grill. epoxy or what ever them to the v6 grill in the exact postion of the gt grill, send that unit out and have it cast into a mold then produce the parts then have them painted in insert either the black powder coated auminum, crome or black crome grill. basicly i showed up with the two for fog lights when we put it in. same exact mounts and the lights are adjustable just like the gt. if anything i would think that since the grill is tweeked a bit to fit, the gt grill lights would point outward a bit. i also have had my grill out 2 or 3 times i actually took it out and painted everthing in front to black out the bright yellow. actually the unit is in production i called them thursday to ask who has it and they said it just hitting distributers so you guys should see them soon!. i hope that helps. stock lights and wire harness has ford plugs on it. BTW i will prob get the close up lights also they should be out at the end of the year. cool thing is i already have the lights and harness so the install will be easy. same as you!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:09 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I think the SS kit is the way to go. I had the west coast kit before, and now have a GT bumper, but if I had to go back and do it all over again I would have waited for the SS kit. The west coast kit is great, but it was a bit of work to get in. True most people don't notice the gap, none of my friends did, but i noticed it and it drove me nuts.

As for a GT bumper swap out, it is not for everyone and I only went with it because my parking garage paid for it. Besides, those center mounted fog lights look damn cool.

Anyway, if you want a kit that is easy to put in, then go for the SS kit.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:15 PM
LIVNBIG
1st Gear Member

I prefer the full GT Bumper swap myself..I like the way the GT Bumper looks over the V6 bumper!!

Quick Reply: GT Grille