Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Had some questions on some CAI if.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 09:42 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Default Had some questions on some CAI if.....

I just got my stang about a week ago. I was wondering what CAI should I go with for the future? I was going to go with steeda's but I just dont see the point of spending all that money just for a cone filter replacment, I want to replace the stock air tube going to the filter.

Steeda states that there CAI system gives the most horsepower out of all the rest. I just want to know if there horse rating is with the tune or with out the tune. ( most likely with) When on the other hand K&N's CAI is rated a little less horse but it comes with a air tube replacment and requires no tune if Im correct. The CAI sytems that say there is no tune required, can you still tune them to utalize the performace or would that cause problems with check engine light.

(Need to know basically which CAI has not only a cone filter replacment but a air tube replacment also and which ones can be put on your car with out a required tune but are still albe to be tuneable later down the road, but still gives good horsepower & torque)

With that Xcal2 before you go to the dealer ship you can change the chip back to stock settings basically. Can the Dealership tell that you've been in the computer? Even after you change the settings back to stock? Will they see that you changed it once for performacne & then changed it again back to stock before you went to see the dealership?
Old 09-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Had some questions on some CAI if.....

I have the steeda and it made a huge difference along with a tune and a Magnaflow axle-back. I would wait for the C&L if I were you. You really need a tune with any mod you make to these new Mustangs.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:02 PM
droptop6
2nd Gear Member

I agree any mods will turn service engine on. I have the MMR CAI with the XCAL2 tune and duals straight back with flowmaster 40's. MMR stated with the tune 17 hp at the rear wheels, probably pretty close have alot of burn marks in the driveway. Incase your wondering MMR stands for Modular Mustang Racing. This is a kit and runs about 750.00 shipped. And as for the dealer knowing if it has been tuned if you put it back to stock, no it erases the module and reprogram's it from scratch. I have a buddy that works at a chrysler dealer.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:50 PM
05V6inMD
1st Gear Member

Why are you bent on replacing the tube; It is 99.99999% irrelevant. If you want to for chrome or colored looks, that makes sense. I have a steeda and xcal2. I installed the steed fist with no retune. I did not get an engine light error. Worked as a CAI is expected to without tune. I did the tune and the car performed like a different car. Better shift points, absolutely no more dreaded throttle lag.

I understand that when you replace the xcal2 tune with the original program, there is no way to tell.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:58 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

So basically you guys are saying that the stock air tube is fine? I thought it would make a diff. It seems like the air wouldn't get trapped as much in the ripples with an aftermarker air tube, seems like it would flow a lot better that the rubber stock one.

So steeda is the way to go then huh? That MMR intake is way too much, $700.00 (does that include the xcal2 & the intake or just the intake) its only rated at 17 HP with a tune. Thats what the Steeda's is rated at with a tune also for just $400.00(thats only for the CAI though no xcal2 included)

You guys say you have to tune evey mod you make. So when I get exhaust & headers I will haft to tune that as well to exceed the maximum performace of my aftermarket exhaust?

Where do you plug the xcal2 in at? Under the hood or under the dash?
Old 09-06-2005, 12:23 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

i have the afe unit and love it. no tune 12 hp.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:00 PM
droptop6
2nd Gear Member

The 700.00 includes the XCAL2, the CAI with the aftermarket tube. I changed it all at once so i dont know if there was a difference between the stock tube and the aftermarket tube. You plug in the XCAL2 under the dash on the drivers side you cant miss it, large plug facing down.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:32 PM
cman332001
1st Gear Member

most CAI require re-tune but not all..... as for the exhaust no retune if after the cat - I am not sure on the headers I would imagine there would need to be a retune..........
Old 09-06-2005, 06:59 PM
05V6inMD
1st Gear Member

I paid $580 for steeda and xcal2 with three tunes - delivered - from Brenspeed.com

Lots of great options out there. I chose what I chose because of confidence in steeda, confidence in Brent at Brenspeed for programming, and I knew I wanted the xcal2.