Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

cherry bomb glass pack

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 PM
702StAnG

Default cherry bomb glass pack

hey guys im getting a glass pack for my mustang just wondering if any of you already have it im just wondering what size to get and how to mount it
Old 09-24-2011, 12:22 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

2 1/2" pipe size and it has to go under the rear bumper after the axle
as thats where the OEM muffler is mounted. Your muffler looks like the pic
below (unpainted) and can be measured from under the stang with a tape
measurer to see what will fit length wise.

If you are looking for the farm truck sound
and not the muscle car sound,
then a glass pack is right up your alley...

I would go with a cheap GT take-off muffler (passengers side)
as these have the best sound for the buck...
Attached Thumbnails cherry bomb glass pack-muffs.jpg  
Old 09-24-2011, 01:46 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I'm going to assume you have a V6, first off.

Second, if you do not have dual exhaust yet, then what I suggest is getting duals with an H pipe and GT takeoff mufflers to start with. Then worry about muffler choices later.

If you already have duals, please do not buy glasspacks. They do not sound good on our V6s. You will get alot of opinions on which mufflers to go with your V6, but IMO, the MAC mufflers sound the best on it.

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2011, 09:55 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Just buy two gt takeoff mufflers OFF OF A MANUAL GT and you'll save lots of money and get a good sound note. I paid $50 shipped to my door for two manual gt takeoff mufflers and I only put one on and it improved sound 10x than stock. Then when I had cash I had a custom h-pipe installed and used the other muffler. As said people will give different opinions but at the end of the day we are in V6's and spending a grip of cash for sound doesn't make sense when you can get close enough for cheap
Old 09-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Nickboxer7

Don't just take everyone's word that glasspacks sound bad. I have a set on my 05 V6. They are 2.5" pipe around 28" long. They are not at the back of the car, they are before the back axle in-line and I have an H pipe. I'm running Thrush glasspacks.

It sounds pretty good. It's not as loud as I thought it would be so I'm really considering getting some shorter ones because I would like a little bit of the "poppy" sound.

If you want the GT takeoffs they sound pretty good, but they are too quite for me unless you take the cats off, which I'm not going to do.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Smokintires

i like the magnaflow glasspacks they have a good note and you dont have to worry about blowout like the traditional glasspacks filled with fiberglass. magnaflow fills all there mufflers with a rockwool packing. nice throaty tone.....
Old 10-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Nickboxer7

Originally Posted by Smokintires
i like the magnaflow glasspacks they have a good note and you dont have to worry about blowout like the traditional glasspacks filled with fiberglass. magnaflow fills all there mufflers with a rockwool packing. nice throaty tone.....

All of the magnaflow ones I've heard do sound good. I think the ones I bought have rockwool as well. I just didn't want to buck up and spend the extra money for magnaflow, especially since most of them end up being made by the same company lol. Another big difference would be if the inside is perforated or louvered.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Smokintires

Originally Posted by Nickboxer7
All of the magnaflow ones I've heard do sound good. I think the ones I bought have rockwool as well. I just didn't want to buck up and spend the extra money for magnaflow, especially since most of them end up being made by the same company lol. Another big difference would be if the inside is perforated or louvered.
you have to be careful from what my muffler guy was saying because if it does not have the manufactuers name on there muffler its probably a cheap china knockoff part that will only last a few months. i say pay the few extra bucks from a muffler company that has a known killer tone and quality. its like they say as i have had to learn the hard way. you get what you pay for.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Nickboxer7

Smile

Originally Posted by Smokintires
you have to be careful from what my muffler guy was saying because if it does not have the manufactuers name on there muffler its probably a cheap china knockoff part that will only last a few months. i say pay the few extra bucks from a muffler company that has a known killer tone and quality. its like they say as i have had to learn the hard way. you get what you pay for.

I'll agree with you that there are some poorly made parts out there. However, I don't believe all of Magnaflows glasspacks are even stamped with their name. I think some are blank. If you buy their catback system it is a different muffler that is stamped. I wouldn't be surprised if Magnaflow didn't even make their glasspacks. If I remember correctly, I think Walker makes a lot of them out there for other companies. Don't quote me on Walker being the one though. When it comes to glasspacks, all you do is look for what material is inside of it, whether it's louvered or perforated (louvered will catch air and slow down the flow), and the sizes. I could care less about the brand name if I know that information

But like I said, the Magnaflow ones do sound good on our cars. I'm always looking to change up my exhaust because I get tired of it so I don't like to spend a ton of money.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I must agree with the people that say glasspacks sound bad.

Some people really get confused between loud and deep once the volume level increases.

They are loud, but they don't sound deep and they also have WAY too much
messy sounds that come with them as well. These are ESPECIALLY true on a single exhaust V6 setup.
I like a little bit of gurgle but glasspacks do bring the messy gurgle etc. and DO literally tend to have
the sound characteristics of a farm truck.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 10-04-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Quick Reply: cherry bomb glass pack