Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Custom Intake Manifold Cover (Plenum)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:13 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Default Custom Intake Manifold Cover (Plenum)

As I stated in another thread about a month ago, I have been in the process of making my own custom intake manifold cover. It's finally finished and I'm posting the pictures here. (At least I hope they show up, its my first time posting pictures--so if there are any problems let me know). Its taken a while between school and work and everything else its just taken longer than I had hoped--but its done nonetheless! Any questions about the cover or anything else I'll be glad to answer

Old 12-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

That looks really good! I like it! How'd you do it? I'd like one too, but they don't make any for the V6 anymore.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:00 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

That was my thoughts exactly. I used the cover that was offered by Midwest Auto Gear as my platform then put my own twist on it. I took several measurements of the intake itself and made a general draft of what I wanted mine to look like. Then I made an entire cover out of noncorrugated cardboard (the stuff cereal boxes are made from), for fitment. Once that was made I was able to trace all my pieces onto the 22 gauge sheet steel I used for the body of the cover. The body is all welded together and ground smooth. The raised stripes are 5/8" x 1/4" bar stock I believe. There are nuts welded under the cover that the bolts run through the bars into. The same bar stock was used for all the mounting brackets. Two bars run straight down on the passenger side through the holes between the runners of the intake. A right angle bracket is then used to bolt through the two holes on the bottom platform of the intake and onto the two mounting bars running down from the cover. On the driver's side a single bar runs outside of the runners and utilizes a corner mount of the distributor. (the mounts actually are very rigid and strong and are hidden pretty well too). As for paint I used Rustoleum engine enamel and a aerosol can of factory code paint available on eBay through a seller named spraycansunlimited. I coated the entire thing with the primer and then base coat of black. I also ordered the mustang decal used on the front (which matches the font of the rocker panel stripes) from an eBay seller named phil145024ek2. I suggest their "short term" decal. It holds great for painting over and removes easy without leaving any residue. So after centering my decal where I wanted it on the black base coat I coated the entire thing with my factory color. I then removed the decal, which is why the letters remain black. The entire cover was then coated with the clearcoat engine enamel.
If you plan to undertake this project yourself, I highly suggest you look into painting techniques. I thought I had a decent idea going in, but just about everything that could have gone wrong with the paint went wrong lol, so make sure you have plenty of waterproof 320, 400, and 600 grit sandpaper. But in the end it turned out well.
Thanks for the compliments!!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:34 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Definitely one of a kinds, good job. Adding some color in there would make it stand out.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:29 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Thank you. Ya I know some different color would have helped, but since my car is all sterling gray and black I didn't really know what direction with color I could have gone without making it look like it didn't belong. I've got a couple more under hood dress-ups planned, so hopefully it will bring it all together
Old 12-12-2011, 01:55 PM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

And to think I was getting creative cutting ponies out of soda cans and sticking them on my fuse box cover. Very nice!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:07 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Hey that is creative--cheap and its going to look good for a long time, and if something happens to it its not like you're out of any money or anything.
and thank you!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:16 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Yea creativity gets your a long way, just look at your engine, and visualize what you want to change.

I made these this past weekend because I couldn't find anything better.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ire-clips.html
Old 12-12-2011, 02:18 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Well hell ya, that really looks clean. I love your painted throttle body too
Old 12-12-2011, 02:21 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by unitedwestang
Well hell ya, that really looks clean. I love your painted throttle body too
Valve covers have been painted, just need to be put on.

I had the same problem as you with not knowing what colors to use, so I took a chance and just did Ford Red (kinda looks orange).

As far as yours, you have a black canvas, so try getting some Ford Racing stickers and putting them on the sides of the plenum.

You also have those 3 plastic strips down the middle, you could make 1 blue, 1 white and 1 red and you would have the Mustang Pony logo.

such as this...

Quick Reply: Custom Intake Manifold Cover (Plenum)