Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2010 "Boss 246" work-in-progress...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Boss 246

Default 2010 "Boss 246" work-in-progress...

I mentioned a little bit about this car in my intro thread, but thought I would discuss it in a bit more detail here, in the general V6 forum to like-minded enthusists.

Starting with a new base model 2010 V6 Mustang in Brilliant Silver metallic with a 4.0 V6 engine and 5-speed transmission, I thought of a few different ways to give it a mild custom makeover to set it apart from others. Looking for something that would pay tribute to the car's retro-styling, I thought back to the old 1969-70 Boss 429 Mustangs, which were clean, understated and tough looking. That was the general direction I wanted to go with my new car, so the first step was to purchase a pair of "BOSS 429" fender decals in black, and rework them a bit to read "BOSS 246", keeping the placement and spacing identical to the original "BOSS 429" style.

(Back in 1969 and 1970, only white Boss 429 Mustangs got the black lettering, the rest were all done in white letters, but I thought the black would stand out nicely against the bright silver paint. The '246' designation comes from the 4.0 engines cubic inch displacement.)

With the new decals in place, I moved to the rear of the car and installed original chrome block style "M-U-S-T-A-N-G" emblems on the decklid. I had searched out a plain base model with no tacky stripes or spoilers, so the chrome letters really stand out nicely and give the back end of the car a classy touch of nostalgiac style. I kept the spacing between the letters a bit tighter than it was on the 1969 and 1970 Mustangs, to fit the new decklid better, but it's the same emblems used on the original cars.

Throughout the 70s, many classic Mustangs, including the rare Boss 429 variants, got treated to some popular bolt-on's and styling cues of the day, so I added a couple of them to mine so far. First up was the shift ****. The dorky, awkward factory **** had to GO, so I replaced it with an old Hurst t-handle that I've had for ages, and had used in a few of my old cars in the past. To make it look better on the scrawny shifter, I cut a piece of metal tubing (a bicycle seat post, actually) to insert between the new t-handle and the factory boot top with a thick black rubber grommet at the bottom to cover the handle and add a bulkier look to the shifter. The rubber grommet allows for adjustment of the t-handle and keeps it in place. I like to run them kind of 'sideways' instead of straight across (like on a typical automatic shifter), which is how a lot of us did it back in the 70s and 80s. The 'new' old Hurst t-handle is FAR more comfortable than the stock **** was, and lends a true Disco-era vibe to the interior!

Next, I added a pair of vintage Gabriel "H-Jacker" decals to the rear quarter windows. This was done in part to pay homage to the street machine trends of the 70s and 80s, and also to make a statement about the car's "stinkbug stance". It looks like it's equipped with air shocks, but that's just the way it sits!

From a mechanical standpoint, the car remains basically stock for the time being. It had some serious issues right at first with front end alignment and was difficult to keep in one lane at freeway speeds, so that took a bunch of work and just plain getting used to. I had the dealer reset the front end alignment a couple of times until it was right, and that helped a bunch at lower speeds, but didn't do anything to keep the back end from dancing all over at speeds over 50 mph. Turns out, it's mostly a design failure on a few different levels, but I was able to help the problem a bunch by swapping out the stock rear coils with factory GT convertible units, increasing tire pressure to 42psi and minding the fuel level and side window position. (Driving with both side windows up, the car is still a bit unstable at freeway speeds, but roll them both down even a little, and it tracks MUCH better...just a glaring error on Ford's part in wind tunnel vs real world testing.) In the future, some aftermarket springs and shocks will be added, along with an aftermarket rear panhard bar to replace the poorly-designed and cheaply-made stock unit. Also, the aftermarket outter tie rods up front keep the toe angle from changing over bumps and such, making it feel a lot tighter and safer.

Down the road, I will be doing some more mainly cosmetic modifications in keeping with the basic 'Boss 429 tribute' theme, including woodgrain dash and console inserts, rear window slats, and for sure a set of aftermarket wheels to replace the hideous stock ones! The tires will go, too...in favor of something a bit firmer to help further improve the car's freeway handling characteristics.

One major improvement in the way the car runs and drives came from switching to Penzoil Platinum full synthetic motor oil after the first few changes. I tried Royal Purple synthetic, and it worked excellent, but the performance improvements fell off sharply after only 2,500 miles, and it ran the way it did with the old Motorcraft oil. The Penzoil Platinum delivers the same outstanding benfits without dropping off between 5,500 mile change intervals. Gone is the way the engine used to 'lug' at lower rpms, and it idles much better and runs a few degrees cooler on the temperature gauge.

I've put a lot of fun miles on this car, driving most of the old Route 66 with it, and traveling across the country on a few road trips. It's extremely comfortable, and driver fatigue is never an issue, even after many hours behind the wheel. Ford always tends to build very comfortable cars, and this one is no exception. (This car replaced my old 1995 Taurus SHO which was also a very comfortable car on long scenic trips!).

So, that's the "Boss 246" project in review, as it sits right now! I will post more updates as they happen, but for now, I find myself on the road again...enjoying the highways and two-lanes of America in this fun-to-drive classic ponycar!
Old 03-01-2012, 04:16 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Nice write up and an interesting theme. Add yourself from forced induction and you'll have a good boss (lower case "b") . Enjoy!
Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Boss 246

Thanks! I had briefly considered turbocharging when I first got the car, but don't want to go to that extreme. I tried out a K&N air filter and it ran like crap without doing any recalibration, so I switched to a standard Wix filter and it ran fine once more. The exhaust is a bit loud, but not unbearable at all. Much nicer tone than the duals on the 2011 V6. (Those sound like six angry bees trapped in a blender when you romp on 'em!)
Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Some or all of your handling problems do not exist on my car so I do not think it is an engineering problem. I have never had to roll the windows down in order for the car to track straight just as one example. Anywho good luck with future plans.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Nice work

Just a heads up, some of the guys with the 302s may cry misbadging foul...
Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Yeah I don't have those problems with my 4.0 either...
I think the Ford dealership may be feeding you a line of crap so they don't have to work on the car anymore. I don't have any problems with my cars handling until about 100+ and that is with all stock suspension. You might want to look into it a little more, IMHO.

As for your car, its looking good. Some quarter window louvers and rear window louvers would look great for the retro theme. Check out Ace's V6 Boss tribute for some more ideas.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Boss 246

In an interesting twist of fate, I met a couple Hyundai/KIA engineers while on the road and the subject of this car's handling issues came up. One of them immediately stated that he belived that aerodynamics played a big part in that, which is why the car is more stable with the side windows down. My car, being a base model and not equipped with a rear spoiler of any kind, coupled with it's rear ride height (it sat even higher with the stock springs for some reason!) seems to make for some odd effects at freeway speeds.

One of the engineers had me spay the car with water and then take it up to speed for a mile or so, then pull over and look at it. He pointed out that water had blown off the car everywhere except the decklid, where it was still sitting as if the car had never moved! "The air passes over the roof and creates a neggative pressure area over the decklid area with the windows up." he said. "Putting the windows down directs air into the interior and acts as a parachute of sorts, stabilizing the car somewhat." The suggestion was made to lower the car and equip it with a functional spoiler of some sort. In addition, they didn't like the design of the rear springs (new or old) the way the coils were reduced in diameter at the mounting point. They said "It's like putting a pivot on the rear axle, making an analogy to a bobble-head doll!"

I'm a little hessitant to put a spoiler on the car, although I have seen some that I like, but none That I've committed to. The new springs and air pressure adjustment made it much better. (I mentioned this to the Hyundai guys and they remarked that the tires would be okay on a mini-van, but weren't anything to use on a performance car. Just the price of buying a base model I guess!)

Anyway, for now...with the tie rod change, new rear springs, higher air pressure and all, it drives much better. The car has had a host of issues with it, including a heater hose blowing off when it was a week old, and the transmission has always been very noisey. (That was inspected by a COMPETENT dealer tecnician and he said it was a bearing on the main shaft. He said the warranty would cover it, but it could take a while to get the parts in. He said it wouldn't hurt it any more to keep driving it, stopping just short of suggesting that I wait until it's nearly out of warranty and then getting the transmission fixed or replaced!)

There was also a problem with the fuel/evap lines in the back of the car. The day I bought it, one of my co-workers looked at it and remarked how low the fuel lines were hanging down under the car! I took it right back to the dealership and they said "It's supposed to be like that!". I looked at other new 2010 models on the lot, and they all were hanging real low (look through the back of the driver's side rear wheel well and you'll see what I'm talking about). I drove it home and got under the car (with the stock springs, you didn't even need a jack, it sat so high!) to inspect and correct the problem myself. The lines hung down as the lowest point on the car and rubbed on the cheaply-made rear panhard bar. Grabbing them and moving them around demonstrated how 'floppy' they were, so I installed a couple of heavy duty, rubberized metal line clamps and a few zip-ties to hold them up out of the way and keep them from rubbing on moving suspension parts. They still drop some, but are no longer the lowest point under the vehicle and are secured tight so that they can't flop around. Again, just a silly engineering gaff left to the consumer to correct. Fortunately, not a complicated nor expensive repair.

So, there have been a few challenges along the way, but...being no stranger to Ford products I was ready for that. Still, it's one of the best looking new vehicles available today, and it's a pleasant road car for the most part. It's limited cruising range (due to it's marginal fuel economy and small gas tank capacity) means frequent refueling stops, but that's part of the fun when doing road trips! Seeing the country along two-lanes and back-roads and stopping along the way at mom & pop gas stations! With a few more mechanical and cosmetic upgrades, I should have this car where I want it, and it should be a fun vehicle for a while to come!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:30 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

If you like the old school look get a honeycomb rear deck panel. Also a roots blower on top of the engine would be a nice touch.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:23 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

To me the name "Boss" should be assisted by a V8.
Same with Shelby, Mach1 etc... that's just the way it was back then.
May you make your sixxer fast enough to gain respect, it still has nothing to do with that.

Makes no difference to me since it's not my car but be prepared to be flamed here and at any car show that you might attend...
Old 03-06-2012, 11:37 AM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

lol
"assistant manager 246"
im jk, youve got along way to go, hope it all turns out how you want it.