Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dyno tune vs canned tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:09 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Good points Mishri. There is a shop a couple hours south of me that specializes in Mustang specific dyno tuning and building mustangs, if i remember right theye got a couple s197's running 8's lut of their shop. Obviously nothing stok about them, lol. but it's not cheap at all there and if I'm only looking at 20whp then I could just put that $509 towards getting the xtreme (intercooled) upgrade for my x which I'm sure gives me a lot more potential than just a tune. I don't ever go to the track which is why I'm not too concerned with et's I just like knowing I have a quick car and some power under my foot... And then sometimes take her out to the back roads and have some fun

I've got a bit more datalogging to get done and I think my current tune could use just a tiny but more "fine tuning" to get it just right. I'm just a hair lean on the air to fuel right now (it's at 12-12.3 during wot pulls when it should be around 11.7)

Last edited by maxshuty; 03-09-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

A dyno tuner is not going to push your car to an unsafe limit unless you tell them too. If a tuner wants to show you big numbers, he'll simply un-correct the numbers or adjust other parameters. I guarantee you that the car is running pig rich on that canned tune and you're leaving a decent amount of power (peak and under the curve) on the table. Sure, your car should be perfectly safe on the canned tune, but that doesn't sound like your concern. If you want the power that blower has to offer, get it tuned.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:41 PM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

You spent how much on a blower and your not willing to spend $500 more to make sure you're using it properly and to its full potential? Seems like wasted money to me, if you don't have it tuned properly.

I would never do anything more than bolt ons with out a dyno tune. I factor the cost of a dyno tune into my budget when thinking about any power adders.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:01 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

@the stig I spent a whopping $1700 for my x charger hi-po with everything including all gaskets, all the stuff for non hi-po, and also interceptor and autometer gauge. Only other cost for the kit was shipping which wasn't bad. The kit has 25k miles on it, not much or the x considering some people have well over 100k. So I think I got a fair deal which is why I grabbed it up without hesitating. I knew I had free tunes for life so I didn't worry about dyno tuning until now when I'm just trying to get a bit more power.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Sounds like you already had your mind made up before you asked us what we thought. If you're fine dropping close to 2 grand on a blower and running a canned tune with it, go for it (You should be fine). You asked for some experienced opinions from people who have had blown cars, you got it. Not really sure why you bothered to ask, however.

Last edited by Stone629; 03-09-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:35 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

My question was basically is the horsepower to money gain worth it? Not safety, cost I've put towards it already, etc
Old 03-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Depends on how bad $500 is going to hurt you to spend. Its a chunk of change regardless, but everyone will view it differently depending on their situation and how bad they want to mod their car. To me, damn right its worth it.

Like I said before, if you're happy where you're at, you'll be fine. If you want to gain power under the curve as well as peak power and make the most of that X-charger, put it on a dyno. If you're looking for exact HP gains out of these posts, you're **** out of luck brother. Not going to happen, not accurately anyway.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:03 AM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

You got a great deal on your blower. Here I will simplify my answer for you.

Originally Posted by maxshuty
My question was basically is the horsepower to money gain worth it?
In my opinion, yes.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:08 AM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

Also keep in mind when you're asking, is X amount of hp worth $X? That it is all relative. A lot of people spend $100-$300 on a cold air intake that they may only get 5 rwhp from. I spent $1000 on my headers and will get about 30 rwhp from them. That is considered a good deal with my car. If your tune gets 15 rwhp, you paid the same $/hp as I did for my headers.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:12 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by The Stig
Also keep in mind when you're asking, is X amount of hp worth $X? That it is all relative. A lot of people spend $100-$300 on a cold air intake that they may only get 5 rwhp from. I spent $1000 on my headers and will get about 30 rwhp from them. That is considered a good deal with my car. If your tune gets 15 rwhp, you paid the same $/hp as I did for my headers.
Thanks! Thats what I'm trying to figure out here. Would my $500 be spent better in other mods or a tune... and if I'm not mistaken dont you need a new dyno tune with those kinds of mods (headers, etc)? If so then it's definitely not worth doing until I've got most, if not all, of the performance mods done to the vehicle

Quick Reply: Dyno tune vs canned tune