Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Single American Thunder Drone, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:13 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Oh and don't make the mistake of installing super 40's, I went dual super 40's and returned the next day to the muffler shop so they could cut those bastards off. After taking a two hour trip on the interstate the drone made me want to hang myself with my seat belt.

GT takeoffs FTW.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by F0RD4LifE
GT takeoffs FTW.
+1

Over time, I've heard a number of different V6's with different setups. Some downright ricey... others, tinny. Yet others that sounded like dual fart-cans.

I've heard many though that sound awesome. Don't know what they're all running... but they sound like mine... with of course the GT takeoffs.

What might prove interesting would be to swap in a pair of dual mufflers from a 3.7 V6 unit.... just to see. If it's even practical.

One thing for certain though... once you've got things swithced over for GT takeoffs, it also avails you the opportunity to try all the other aftermarket stuff that's produced for the GT. Considerably more than what's being cranked out for a single exhaust 4.0
Old 04-25-2012, 10:47 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boneman
+1

Over time, I've heard a number of different V6's with different setups. Some downright ricey... others, tinny. Yet others that sounded like dual fart-cans.

I've heard many though that sound awesome. Don't know what they're all running... but they sound like mine... with of course the GT takeoffs.

What might prove interesting would be to swap in a pair of dual mufflers from a 3.7 V6 unit.... just to see. If it's even practical.

One thing for certain though... once you've got things swithced over for GT takeoffs, it also avails you the opportunity to try all the other aftermarket stuff that's produced for the GT. Considerably more than what's being cranked out for a single exhaust 4.0
Lol speaking of going dual v6 mufflers, I have two modified 06 v6 mufflers for dual exhaust, nice and quiet and its duals.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:11 AM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

OP, I had a single flowmaster AT way back when. Same thing, the drone was too much. Had a shop install a resonator and that solved the problem; no more drone. But inside the cabin, it quieted it down something fierce. Outside sounded the same still, though. Actually, when I finally replaced that system with the v6 exhaust kit from FRPP, it sounded nearly identical, inside the cabin.

I say just buy a gt takeoff and be be glad your done with it, honestly.