Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

shifters for the v6

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:11 AM
05screaminyellow
1st Gear Member

Default shifters for the v6

been looking around dont see whole lot out there i like besides the mgw, it is nice but dont wanna drop that much right now on a shifter. are there any other options to shorten the throw on this thing ... its almost as bad as rowing the gears in my ZF 6 speed superduty diesel.... LOL
Old 07-13-2012, 03:02 AM
snicksnipa
1st Gear Member

I wanted to get the Hurst short throw for our car, but I heard alot of people complaining about loud vibrations.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:15 AM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

I have the Hurst. It did have a vibration, but I added a couple nuts to the machine screws Hurst provided, and the noise went away. I enjoy my Hurst, but hear good things about the MGW.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:19 AM
05screaminyellow
1st Gear Member

I like the look of the stock shifter too and it is quiet no rattles etc ... wish i could shorten the throw on the stock shifter ....
Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Look up the Steeda short throw adapter, if they no longer make it you could probably find one used or make something similar. Also, to shorten up the actual shaft you could cut the stock one down. Depending on your skills and tools it might be cheaper to buy one. The MGW is real high quality, can use the stock shifter **** or aftermarket one but you have to order it one way or the other. Its fully adjustable for feel and position so you can set it how you like. Its pretty stiff out of the box and takes a couple days to loosen up.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:09 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Look up the Steeda short throw adapter, if they no longer make it you could probably find one used or make something similar. Also, to shorten up the actual shaft you could cut the stock one down. Depending on your skills and tools it might be cheaper to buy one. The MGW is real high quality, can use the stock shifter **** or aftermarket one but you have to order it one way or the other. Its fully adjustable for feel and position so you can set it how you like. Its pretty stiff out of the box and takes a couple days to loosen up.
I think you might be referring to the saleen short throw adapter, it is just a small block that attaches to the shifter and it reduces throw around 20%. That is what I am using on my v6, but when I put the v8 in a few days I will be using a hurst for that.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:19 AM
05screaminyellow
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by obxdude018
I think you might be referring to the saleen short throw adapter, it is just a small block that attaches to the shifter and it reduces throw around 20%. That is what I am using on my v6, but when I put the v8 in a few days I will be using a hurst for that.
will you not need your short throw adapter?
do you wanna get rid of it?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:51 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Get the saleen! I got it, havent missed third yet. Amsoil ATF helps too
Old 07-15-2012, 12:10 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by obxdude018
Ok Saleen's yes, that little block is the one I was thinking of.

I just put in the Royal Purple and went from literately not being able to get it in gear at times to only the occasional trouble getting into 1st. I had not realized I was over 40k since the last fluid change and boy was I feeling it.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:20 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I would ditch the royal purple ASAP. I put that **** in my t5 and a month later I was looking at having my tranny rebuilt. That stuff took me within a week of third gear syncro failure

Quick Reply: shifters for the v6