Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Knocking While Decelerating through a turn

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Gpio

Default Knocking While Decelerating through a turn

Introduction -

I have been lurking these forums for a few weeks and based on the great community, I went ahead and bought an '08 Mustang V6 Pony Package with 40k miles on it from a non Ford dealership. It still has the stock tires and brake pads. As far as I can tell everything else is stock as well. I've gotten a ton of great information this site already, however, ever since I drove the 'Stang home from the dealership I've been scouring these forums trying to resolve an issue I've had with the car.

The Problem -

As the title states I get anywhere from 1 to 3 knocks when I'm decelerating lightly through a turn at anywhere between five and ten miles an hour. It's most noticeable if I'm taking a left into a parking spot but will also occur taking a right into a parking spot, although no all the time. It sounds like it's coming from the right wheel well.

Some other things I've noticed:

If I accelerate and turn there's no noise.

If I brake hard and take a turn there's no noise.

If I'm stationary and turn the wheel, there's no noise.

Accelerating and decelerating hard in a straight line is quiet.

Just accelerating and decelerating at slow speeds in a straight line is quiet.

When decelerating from 50mph to around 30mph there's a slight vibration in the brake pedal

Finally, are just ready to be replaced. I've started hearing them squeal when braking lightly if I see a red light up ahead of me.

Checks done so far -

I had a mechanic friend ride with me in the car to make sure he heard the noise too.

Checked all fluids and everything looks good

We put the car on jacks and gave the suspension and thorough inspection.

There's no play in the wheels so I've ruled out the ball joints.

There's no obvious play in any other suspension components including the LCA's, sway bar, and Sway Bar End Links.

Can't recreate the noise by pushing on the front end of the car.

I also torque the strut tower bolts a few clicks.

Obviously the right thing to do is just to take all right hands turns very quickly and back in to all my parking spots, but I want to get everything perfect on this car before I mellow out and enjoy the ride.

Any advice from anyone with a similar problem? Where do I look next? Do I just replace the brake pads since I know they're bad and go from there? Any direction you could point me would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:36 AM
GM Supercar
1st Gear Member

Assuming you don't have any ball-joint issues, the engine could possibly starving for oil. Could be many different things, though. Have you observed oil pressure during this sound?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:10 AM
Gpio

Thanks GM. I jacked up the car yesterday and gave the springs a twist to check for any play. The left side had a little play, but nothing that seemed too bad. I'm going to replace the rotors and pads this weekend just because they're more important right now and need to be done. Looks like the weekend after that will be the strut mounts. I'll report back after each.

Thanks,

BTW, what's up with your un? What supercar?
Old 08-11-2012, 01:15 PM
armyjared
1st Gear Member

this one confuses me I immediatley thought ball joints or loose struts not sure anymore though please fill us in. would love to know
Old 08-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Gpio

Just an Update. I wish I knew exactly what it was, but the rotors were warped and the pads thin. Replacing them seemed to have fixed the knocking. Now I've got to work on quieting down the creaks and squeaks of the suspension.