Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Getting a V6 Mustang 2013, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 05:55 AM
berryracer
1st Gear Member

Question Getting a V6 Mustang 2013, a few questions

Please take time to read my questions I know they are long but please help a n00bie out

I can't pay 10K more to get the V8 I'm afraid I would be losing out so much in terms of power and resale value but the V6 Convertible is all I can afford

Anyway, please answer my questions:

1) When I first buy the car, do I need to run the engine in? What is the best way to drive it and for how long before I can rev it up?

2) Anything special I need to protect my new investment? What is the best oil to use? Castrol? Mobil 1? or any fully synthetic oil should do?

3) I had a Mustang V6 2001 Model 4 months back, it was very underpowered and had many problems, so I sold it and bought a Camaro SS V8 Manual Transmission 1999, while the car was powerful like a beast, it also gave me an endless collection of problems, every 2 days it would break down, first time, the clutch got spoiled and I had to change the clutch, then the starter key wouldn't rotate tso I couldnt start my car, then my front left tyre blew, then the fuel tank got spoiled so the car was spoiled, every week. one problem....... Do you think that buy driving the V6 Mustang Automatic Convertible, I would feel a huge step backwards due to coming from a Camaro SS V8 Manual? (They don't sell Manual transmission Mustangs in Dubai unfortunately at the dealer and I don't want any more used cars although I can find an imported one from the US manual transmission, but I can't run the risk of having my car break down anymore)

4) Which is more reliable Automatic Transmission or Manual Transmission cars?

5) The dealers we have in Dubai don't allow you to choose nay packages or customize your Mustang as you wish, you get the stock rims, and the Pony package, when I asked about the Shaker Sound System if it comes with it, the Sales man said no that only comes on the V8 but I won't be missing anything because the sound quality between the normal sound system and the Shaker is very similar. I think he was just trying to BS to sell my the V6 but I am mad that I won't be getting the Shaker Sound System, the normal sound system has no bass or amplifier right?

6) Why is the re-sale value of Mustangs very bad? I see 1 year or 2 year old Mustangs selling for dirt cheap???

7) My friend told me not to buy a Mustang because they all have a Fuel Tank problem where when I fill the car at the Gas Station, it won't fill up to the max unless I stand there manually force it to over flow, reason is the design of the fuel tank is in such a way that causes the full to push back and make the car think it is full...... is this true? How do you guys go about filling your cars?

8) in Dubai, The normal fuel is 95 Octane, and the SUPER Fuel is 98 Octane. Will I notice any difference if I always use SUPER? or Special should suffice? The difference between the normal or the SUPER in price on a full tank which is completely empty to FULL, is about $10 USD

9) I am getting the Race Red color as that is the only color which was there in stock although I initially wanted the grabber blue

10) How reliable is the convertible? I mean the mechanism? Will it run me for years or does it break often?

11) What is the best way to wash a convertible car? Any DOs and DONTs ?

12) Is it true when I saw the reviews of the Mustang V6 being able to pull 5.1 Seconds on the 0-60 Run?? this is insane as my old 2003 Pontiac GTO used to get only 5.7 seconds from a V8 LS1 5.7L Engine! How on earth does a V6 get better results?? Someone explain this to meh please
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 AM
steev
2nd Gear Member

3) the V6 in an 01 is at least 130bhp less powerful with a lot less torque. In fact, the current V6 will have around the same power as the Camaro you were driving. It's Ford's drive to be less dependent on OPEC nations that is making them build more efficient motors and it's made the current V6 a great motor. If I could've afforded brand new, I probably would've gone V6 because of insurance.
4) it sounds like with your history, an automatic would be more reliable. Although there could be some performance driving schools who can teach you how to treat the clutch a little gentler.
5) this may not be such a bad thing. If you can afford it, just order a new head unit, your own amps and speakers. Before you know it, it'll sound better and be more useful than any Shaker system.
6) they don't seem to be so bad here, I mean, all cars lose a lot coming off of the dealership, if resale is a very important factor, perhaps a Mustang isn't for you. Or, get a 1 or 2 year old model. It will have lost the majority of it's resale value already.
7) this is more a convenience thing, although didn't seem to be an issue for me at a Mobil station. I think that it's a combination of the fuel filler neck and some pump noodles being slightly incompatible. If you turn the nozzle upside down, it will be ok (if it's a problem, never was for me with rented 2012 GT or V6s).
8) 95 is going to be more than fine. If you can get a tuner (I'm not sure if mode are illegal there) ask them to make a 95 map for you. I don't think the standard Mustang ECU takes advantage of such good fuel. (Its 87 octane with 10 or 15% ethanol here in the US, in the UK we had 95 octane as regular too)
9) grabber blue is a nice color, but I wouldn't say no to one in red.
12) it's just engine design. The 2015 mustang will have an Ecoboost V6 which will apparently be as powerful as the current GT.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 AM
berryracer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by steev
3) the V6 in an 01 is at least 130bhp less powerful with a lot less torque. In fact, the current V6 will have around the same power as the Camaro you were driving. It's Ford's drive to be less dependent on OPEC nations that is making them build more efficient motors and it's made the current V6 a great motor. If I could've afforded brand new, I probably would've gone V6 because of insurance.
4) it sounds like with your history, an automatic would be more reliable. Although there could be some performance driving schools who can teach you how to treat the clutch a little gentler.
5) this may not be such a bad thing. If you can afford it, just order a new head unit, your own amps and speakers. Before you know it, it'll sound better and be more useful than any Shaker system.
6) they don't seem to be so bad here, I mean, all cars lose a lot coming off of the dealership, if resale is a very important factor, perhaps a Mustang isn't for you. Or, get a 1 or 2 year old model. It will have lost the majority of it's resale value already.
7) this is more a convenience thing, although didn't seem to be an issue for me at a Mobil station. I think that it's a combination of the fuel filler neck and some pump noodles being slightly incompatible. If you turn the nozzle upside down, it will be ok (if it's a problem, never was for me with rented 2012 GT or V6s).
8) 95 is going to be more than fine. If you can get a tuner (I'm not sure if mode are illegal there) ask them to make a 95 map for you. I don't think the standard Mustang ECU takes advantage of such good fuel. (Its 87 octane with 10 or 15% ethanol here in the US, in the UK we had 95 octane as regular too)
9) grabber blue is a nice color, but I wouldn't say no to one in red.
12) it's just engine design. The 2015 mustang will have an Ecoboost V6 which will apparently be as powerful as the current GT.
Thanks a lot for the detailed answers bro!

One more thing, if I upgrade the sound system to one of my own, adding new speakers, an amp, and a subwoofer, will the fact the the Audio Shop will modify the wirings and stuff, void my warranty? or do I have to ask my local dealer as each dealer treats this differently?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by berryracer
Please take time to read my questions I know they are long but please help a n00bie out

I can't pay 10K more to get the V8 I'm afraid I would be losing out so much in terms of power and resale value but the V6 Convertible is all I can afford

Anyway, please answer my questions:

1) When I first buy the car, do I need to run the engine in? What is the best way to drive it and for how long before I can rev it up?

2) Anything special I need to protect my new investment? What is the best oil to use? Castrol? Mobil 1? or any fully synthetic oil should do?

3) I had a Mustang V6 2001 Model 4 months back, it was very underpowered and had many problems, so I sold it and bought a Camaro SS V8 Manual Transmission 1999, while the car was powerful like a beast, it also gave me an endless collection of problems, every 2 days it would break down, first time, the clutch got spoiled and I had to change the clutch, then the starter key wouldn't rotate tso I couldnt start my car, then my front left tyre blew, then the fuel tank got spoiled so the car was spoiled, every week. one problem....... Do you think that buy driving the V6 Mustang Automatic Convertible, I would feel a huge step backwards due to coming from a Camaro SS V8 Manual? (They don't sell Manual transmission Mustangs in Dubai unfortunately at the dealer and I don't want any more used cars although I can find an imported one from the US manual transmission, but I can't run the risk of having my car break down anymore)

4) Which is more reliable Automatic Transmission or Manual Transmission cars?

5) The dealers we have in Dubai don't allow you to choose nay packages or customize your Mustang as you wish, you get the stock rims, and the Pony package, when I asked about the Shaker Sound System if it comes with it, the Sales man said no that only comes on the V8 but I won't be missing anything because the sound quality between the normal sound system and the Shaker is very similar. I think he was just trying to BS to sell my the V6 but I am mad that I won't be getting the Shaker Sound System, the normal sound system has no bass or amplifier right?

6) Why is the re-sale value of Mustangs very bad? I see 1 year or 2 year old Mustangs selling for dirt cheap???

7) My friend told me not to buy a Mustang because they all have a Fuel Tank problem where when I fill the car at the Gas Station, it won't fill up to the max unless I stand there manually force it to over flow, reason is the design of the fuel tank is in such a way that causes the full to push back and make the car think it is full...... is this true? How do you guys go about filling your cars?

8) in Dubai, The normal fuel is 95 Octane, and the SUPER Fuel is 98 Octane. Will I notice any difference if I always use SUPER? or Special should suffice? The difference between the normal or the SUPER in price on a full tank which is completely empty to FULL, is about $10 USD

9) I am getting the Race Red color as that is the only color which was there in stock although I initially wanted the grabber blue

10) How reliable is the convertible? I mean the mechanism? Will it run me for years or does it break often?

11) What is the best way to wash a convertible car? Any DOs and DONTs ?

12) Is it true when I saw the reviews of the Mustang V6 being able to pull 5.1 Seconds on the 0-60 Run?? this is insane as my old 2003 Pontiac GTO used to get only 5.7 seconds from a V8 LS1 5.7L Engine! How on earth does a V6 get better results?? Someone explain this to meh please
1. Don't stay at a constant speed for the first 500 Miles (800 Kilometers), The computer is learning. After that drive it the way you plan on driving it.
2. Every person you talk to is going to give you a different answer on this, I myself like Valvoline full Synthetic, and I always use a Motorcraft Oil filter.
3. Stick with the Automatic
4. See answer for 3
5. Here in the states the Pony Package is Premium Package that include the what is called Shaker 500 System, the Shaker 1000 is only in the V8.
6. Resale is pretty bad on most vehicles right now here.
7. Don't believe everything you read on the internet, I have no problem with mine in the first 7000 miles I have had it, nor did I have a problem with the 2010 with the same fuel system in 67000 mile I had it.
8. Although they say the V6 does not have the adaptive Computer, there was an almost 8 HP pick up running Super in them. But the car does very good on the Regular (Octane is figured out different there BTW, the 95 is basically our 87 and the 98 in closer to our 91).
9. I went from Grabber Blue to Sterling Gray Metallic and do not regret getting rid of the Grabber Blue
10. Don't own 1, but everyone I know that has them has not had a problem with them.
11. Good Question???
12. They just keeping getting better.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:16 PM
berryracer
1st Gear Member

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply d00d. Ch33rs

PS: I am not clear on your first answer, what do you mean exactly on:

[QUOTE]1. Don't stay at a constant speed for the first 500 Miles (800 Kilometers),

Pls elaborate
Old 11-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=berryracer;8098452]Thanks for taking the time to read and reply d00d. Ch33rs

PS: I am not clear on your first answer, what do you mean exactly on:

1. Don't stay at a constant speed for the first 500 Miles (800 Kilometers),

Pls elaborate
Just don't stay at a constant Speed, like using Cruise control and such, your car is still learning and it learns better of off cruise and not going at say 50 KPH through town, go up and down from 45-55 KPH.
Just drive it like you plan on driving it, just not at a constant Speed.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:48 AM
berryracer
1st Gear Member

Ahh I see, ok thanks bro
Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

1.) You don't need to "break the motor in" these aren't 60s mustangs or freshly rebuilt. You will notice, however, that as you put more miles on the car it will get a little more powerful and a little better MPG as the ECU learns and adjust settings on the car to maximize performance and MPG.

2.) Oil is oil, this is a very subjective thing but any of your name brands are good. Just go with whatever is on sale or cheapest when you need to change the oil.

3.) You're gonna loose some power and torque over the Camaro, but the quarter mile performance is neglagible stock for stock. The convertible is hampering you more than the motor difference.

4.) This is also very subjective, all depends on the driver.

5.) The shaker sound system runs 500 or 1000 watts and is substancially better than the basic ford system which sounds like *****. If the car is a premium model it comes with the shaker 500, if it's the basic model it comes with the plain sound system.

6.) Resell is bad because of how much they are marked up, especially the V6. Mustangs usually take a nose dive on value after 2-3 years then level off for a while. This is all caused by the severe markup Ford places on them where as in the past they weren't as marked up.

7.) Some have the fuel tank problem some don't. Once in a blue moon my 08 does this but not often. The 2011 has never done this.

8.) Run the regular fuel, these cars are made to run on 87 octane anything more does absolutley ZERO good unless the car is tuned.

9.) Only thing with red cars is make sure you keep wax on them. Red has a high tendency to fade over time.

10.) Depends on how long they are left outside. In general the tops last up to around 10 years when stored outdoors before they may need some work. Just never pressure wash them.

11.) Hand wash and never run through a car wash.

12.) The 2011 Mustang V6 has a lot of technology built into the engine that allows it to make such power and maintain it's fuel efficiency. The transmission is also a 6 speed which allows for better quicker acceleration and contributes to improved MPG.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 AM
berryracer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
1.) You don't need to "break the motor in" these aren't 60s mustangs or freshly rebuilt. You will notice, however, that as you put more miles on the car it will get a little more powerful and a little better MPG as the ECU learns and adjust settings on the car to maximize performance and MPG.

2.) Oil is oil, this is a very subjective thing but any of your name brands are good. Just go with whatever is on sale or cheapest when you need to change the oil.

3.) You're gonna loose some power and torque over the Camaro, but the quarter mile performance is neglagible stock for stock. The convertible is hampering you more than the motor difference.

4.) This is also very subjective, all depends on the driver.

5.) The shaker sound system runs 500 or 1000 watts and is substancially better than the basic ford system which sounds like *****. If the car is a premium model it comes with the shaker 500, if it's the basic model it comes with the plain sound system.

6.) Resell is bad because of how much they are marked up, especially the V6. Mustangs usually take a nose dive on value after 2-3 years then level off for a while. This is all caused by the severe markup Ford places on them where as in the past they weren't as marked up.

7.) Some have the fuel tank problem some don't. Once in a blue moon my 08 does this but not often. The 2011 has never done this.

8.) Run the regular fuel, these cars are made to run on 87 octane anything more does absolutley ZERO good unless the car is tuned.

9.) Only thing with red cars is make sure you keep wax on them. Red has a high tendency to fade over time.

10.) Depends on how long they are left outside. In general the tops last up to around 10 years when stored outdoors before they may need some work. Just never pressure wash them.

11.) Hand wash and never run through a car wash.

12.) The 2011 Mustang V6 has a lot of technology built into the engine that allows it to make such power and maintain it's fuel efficiency. The transmission is also a 6 speed which allows for better quicker acceleration and contributes to improved MPG.
Thanks a lot for the detailed answers bro! now I know how to use it
Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Katmandu
2nd Gear Member

The Search feature and Google are your FRIENDS too! Mustang forums are loaded with information! Take your time and do your research.

Don't worry so much my friend! The quality of new cars nowadays has gone thru the roof!

I recently picked up a 2012 V6 and could not be happier! Well.......if I had $10k more I could had a V8 ! LMAO!

Go buy the V6. You will not be disappointed!

Quick Reply: Getting a V6 Mustang 2013, a few questions