Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Spark Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

Default Spark Plug Wires

Yes I have used the search and read all of the threads on this subject. But I still did not find all of my answers.
I am pretty sure that my motorcraft wires are original. My 06 has 110K on it and just started to have a slightly rough idle.
I was thinking of going to the dealer and getting the Motorcraft wires at the cost of around $108.00. Or should I just get what the sell at the local autoparts stores. It never mattered that much on all of my older cars but this is the first hi-tech late model car I have ever owned.
Thanks for your input.
Matt
Old 09-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My guess is that your rough idle is not related to your ignition wires but to one or more of the following:
  1. clean the TB
  2. replace the fuel filter
  3. replace the spark plugs
  4. run a tank or 2 of Techron or SeaFoam
Old 09-06-2013, 04:06 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
My guess is that your rough idle is not related to your ignition wires but to one or more of the following:
  1. clean the TB
Nuke said it, Fuel filter is the best (And probably cheapest) place to start with it. I've replaced the fuel filter myself twice and you can tell immediately after changing it when you've been running on an old, dirty filter. I think I changed my plugs and wires right around the mileage you're at now. Might wanna consider doing that anyway.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:15 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

1. clean the TB
I would start here first
Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. yes I was planning on doing all of that. I have been using nothing but Chevron Premium.
So what wires are you guys using?
Old 09-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dencon
... I have been using nothing but Chevron Premium...

Unless you have a tune, premium fuel is a waste of money. The PCM cannot sufficiently adjust for the additional octane to provide any performance gains.
Originally Posted by Dencon
... So what wires are you guys using?

OE wires but that's only because I haven't replaced mine due to the low mileage. Today's ignition systems aren't like what we were used to in the 60's. You won't see arcing under the hood at night after 100k miles.
See my comments in red.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I am using Taylor street thunder wires only because my stock ones were looking rough, I see no difference.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

See my comments in red.
Thanks for that info. I am going to change the plugs and the fuel filter today and see what that does.
As for the Premium. Yes I know all about that with what you say. I do not do it for performance. I drive 44 miles on the highway out of town to work everyday. I have found that with spending the couple of extra dollars a week for the Chevron premium gas. I am saving.
Now take this for what it is. I pretty much drive the same miles every week. I fill up every Tuesday before I am on my way back home from work. It seems to be this same deal every time. For the first month I owned the car. I used the premium and I think the same thing you said in red. So I thought at the time, "Am I wasting my money". So I went with regular for about two fill ups. My mileage went down enough to see a difference. With the regular. I was filling up after 5 days of driving the same routine. I went back to the premium and I was back to filling up on the same day every week again.
Besides, think about it. How much more are you really paying to fill up with premium. What $3.00, maybe $4.00 a fill up? I find it worth it. I love my cars and I am sure you all do and spend more for the best in other areas of your car, right? It is a fact, the premium fuel has the additives and octane that is just a little more better for your car's engine and fuel system, and I have found that it does make a difference in highway miles. I could give a crap about that "Study" AAA did a few years ago about using premium fuels. That study was , IMHO, very irresponsible of AAA to put out that, not all the facts, study to the public. I use to be in the fuel station business and I still, to this day have a very good friend that owns a few stations in town. I know how the "Back Stage" of the gasoline business works. I will always use premium fuels in all of my cars. My Mustang, My 72 Chevelle and my 2000 Chevy Blazer ZR2. And yes it does make a difference in where you get your fuel. It is not the fuel. It all comes from the same place, all of the brands tap from the same pipe. It is the additives. And from what I have found and experienced. Chevron has the best additives in their fuel. I don't even get fuel from my friend. Not that his fuel is bad, it just does not have the additives in it that really makes a difference. I have sat in with him in the mornings when he is on the phone "Brokering" to get fuel to his stations. Pretty interest stuff on how the gasoline business works. Never get mad at your station owners for prices going up on fuel. It ain't them. Believe you, me.
Again thanks so much for all of the input. I am still wanting to hear from more about what wires you all use. Do not get me wrong. I have gotten some very helpful advice on this tread and I have used it.

Last edited by Dencon; 09-07-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I am using Taylor street thunder wires only because my stock ones were looking rough, I see no difference.
I was thinking about going with Taylors. I have a set for my Chevelle. I really want to go with a set of OEM Motorcraft only because of the looks of factory. But the only place around here I can find them is the dealer. They want more then twice the price for them. So I am wondering about the alternatives. As long as things stay the same. I do not want to get a set of cheap Autozone wires and then have a problem. I am good with seeing no difference.
Thanks!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Dencon
1st Gear Member

Oh, and hey. Lets se some PICS!!!

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Wires