Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mod help for 2006 V6 Mustang (Manual)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Madrox

Default Mod help for 2006 V6 Mustang (Manual)

Hi, as you may notice, this is my first post here. I could use some help in choosing my first performance mod for my Manual Transmission '06 Mustang. So far, everything is stock, aside from some appearance mods and 18" wheels. From what I've heard, I should either start with a CAI or Tuner.

One thing that should be mentioned is that I live in suburban Miami. The area I live in frequently creates large puddles when it rains...some that aren't easily seen. This is what worries me about a CAI. I don't want to take any risks regarding my engine.

Keep in mind, I am a college student, so I can't just go and order a CAI + Tuner and a dual exhaust conversion kit altogether. Essentially, I'd like to get the biggest bang for my buck.

Another thing to be noted is that I'd really rather not change the octane tune of my car (if I were to get a tuner), since I want to be paying as little as possible for gas. So for me, I don't need to be the most powerful guy on the street to sleep well at night. I'm looking for a combination of power (and maybe a small MPG boost) and perhaps noise enhancement to be happy right now. I almost exclusively city drive, so I can't be driving that fast (mostly 35-45 MPH zones).

Sorry for the long read. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:22 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

You should def start with a CAI. You'll get the best bang for your buck and increase your mpgs. Pair that with a tuner later on to get the best gains. I wouldn't worry about the puddles/rain. Just don't be sitting in 4 feet of water and you'll be all good. Here in chicago we get some pretty crazy weather and I've never had a problem. Everything you've mentioned will liven up your 06 pretty well. I'm sure you can find some inexpensive used intakes/exhaust off of ebay or craigslist. Just make sure you do your research before purchasing. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:25 AM
Madrox

Appreciate the advice. Got a specific CAI you would recommend?
Old 08-03-2014, 01:59 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

I purchased an AirAid from american muscle. The difference in sound alone was worth it. Added a decent gain for $300. And right now American Muscle actually has a $50 rebate on AirAid intakes.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:04 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

You didn't mention your budget so I will assume your willing to save up to do it right if needed. A CAI with out a tune is not a good investment, they are known to throw codes with out one and really are not able to do much more than sound good until you add a tune. There are canned tunes that come preloaded from the tuner manufacturer and custom tune shop tunes. Canned tunes are ok but leave a lot on the table. So best bang for the buck is a CAI/Tune package from a reputable tuner, a number of whom you find are recommended often here. You can find deals on a used set up just be sure the tuner is 'unlocked' or it won't be able to flash a tune to your car, only to the one it was purchased for originally. VMP Performance is in central Fl and their Power Package for the 4.0 is a great deal and works well. You get 3 custom tunes so you can have a mileage tune along with 2 performance tunes or what ever you like. I see the price has gone up again but still is a good deal.

Last edited by jimkaray; 08-03-2014 at 02:11 AM. Reason: adding link
Old 08-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Madrox

Originally Posted by jimkaray
You didn't mention your budget so I will assume your willing to save up to do it right if needed. A CAI with out a tune is not a good investment, they are known to throw codes with out one and really are not able to do much more than sound good until you add a tune. There are canned tunes that come preloaded from the tuner manufacturer and custom tune shop tunes. Canned tunes are ok but leave a lot on the table. So best bang for the buck is a CAI/Tune package from a reputable tuner, a number of whom you find are recommended often here. You can find deals on a used set up just be sure the tuner is 'unlocked' or it won't be able to flash a tune to your car, only to the one it was purchased for originally. VMP Performance is in central Fl and their Power Package for the 4.0 is a great deal and works well. You get 3 custom tunes so you can have a mileage tune along with 2 performance tunes or what ever you like. I see the price has gone up again but still is a good deal.
The package looks great! The only problem I have with it is it does not provide lifetime free tune support, comparing it to the BAMA tunes on American Muscle. I'm not sure if this is as good as a perk as it sounds.

I could get a tuner + CAI package eventually...but that would take a very long time to be within budget, since I'm about to start working only part-time. I figure if I get a CAI first (obviously one that does NOT require a tune), I could eventually purchase a tuner a several months later.

I was thinking of starting with http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid...9v6.html#lcdiv
As yourmom6990 pointed out, there is now a rebate for all Airaid intakes on AM. So, this intake would actually be only $225. After doing the math, I realized that the tuner + CAI combo kits...at least on AM, do not save even a penny as opposed to buying both individually.

Thoughts?
Old 08-03-2014, 02:03 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

once you get your post count up you can request a discount code from AM
Old 08-03-2014, 02:13 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-RACING-...0f02c1&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2010-Fo...4b095f&vxp=mtr

also look on the classified section on these forums, you may find a good used CAI and Tuner. Just remember if you buy a used tuner to make sure it is unlocked.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:00 PM
Madrox

Originally Posted by JJHoover
once you get your post count up you can request a discount code from AM
How many posts are needed for this?
Old 08-03-2014, 03:04 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

If this is your main goal:
Originally Posted by Madrox
... Essentially, I'd like to get the biggest bang for my buck.

Another thing to be noted is that I'd really rather not change the octane tune of my car (if I were to get a tuner), since I want to be paying as little as possible for gas. So for me, I don't need to be the most powerful guy on the street to sleep well at night. I'm looking for a combination of power (and maybe a small MPG boost) and perhaps noise enhancement to be happy right now. I almost exclusively city drive, so I can't be driving that fast (mostly 35-45 MPH zones).
To max out your bang for the buck remember that a fancy CAI intake tube is purely cosmetic, you can just buy a high flow filter and get the same added air flow and sound. So called no-tune CAI's often end up needing a tune as the computer controls are very picky and that leads to a lot of deals on used CAI's.
Free tunes are nice but you have no plans for any mods for at least 4yrs it seems. At that time you may or may not keep the car and who knows what the tune/tuner market will look like in the future. I imagine the standard handheld will phase out and move onto your phone. Custom tuning cost has steadily gone up so if that trend continues AND you keep the car and BAMA is still in business (just being realistic, not a prediction) then lifetime tunes is a deal.
I wouldn't count on a mileage tune paying for itself but the tuner is a big help in reading and clearing trouble codes. This plus having the Forums and google can save you a lot of cash when issues pop up and you need to know what is wrong.

Quick Reply: Mod help for 2006 V6 Mustang (Manual)