Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Flowmaster GT mufflers vs. GT take off's

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 08:13 AM
PATDOGG

Default RE: Flowmaster GT mufflers vs. GT take off's

My dual exhaust never gets irritating at night, i love having it and once you do it, you will love the power gain also, the pull in the upper RPM's on mine is a lot better.

I do think that due to the great flow of the flowmasters, they are not designed for v6's (especially my flowmasters since they are a special design for the GT), yet i have heard some v6's on the forums with them that sound pretty awesome. One in particular, but he had a build bottom end (stroker engine) with higher compression and a cam change as well. It sounded better then a V8.

I would get rid of the cats, but no one here will do it. The emissions laws are pretty **** here.

Yeah, the glasspacks you installed on your car is pretty much the same thing. All a resonator is, is a extra muffler to get rid of the sound and deepen it out a bit. It's the same as what i put on mine, except mine were 18" and not 20"+ like you stated.

If you run a true dual exhaust without a x pipe, you are basically running 3 cylinders out of one pipe, which is actually less then a civic, and that is why the car is going to sound ricey.[:'(] I highly recommend to everyone, you will want to put in an x-pipe at a minimum a long with the dual exhaust install, If not the resonators as a couple of us have stated. I will try to get a sound clip of my exhaust and so is Hambone. This way you guys and hear and base your decision on that better then our word for it. Our tastes and style in sound might be different.

By the way, if anyone is interested, i'm selling my GT take offs for 40 plus shipping. I'll post it in the classifieds as well.

Old 10-20-2005, 07:10 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

yeah, but does your horsepower take a shot for a better sound or can you get better performance AND better sound?... and does anyone know how much it would cost me?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:40 PM
beltone
1st Gear Member

I just has a custom exhaust done true duals H- pipe Magnaflows. $525
Old 10-21-2005, 04:45 PM
PATDOGG

You will have more power then the stock exhaust, no matter what you decide to do. Mine still has more power then it did stock and sounds ten times better also.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:40 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PATDOGG

You will have more power then the stock exhaust, no matter what you decide to do. Mine still has more power then it did stock and sounds ten times better also.
awesome... now i have to wait for my warantee to expire... Ugh
Old 10-22-2005, 12:10 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

So how bout those sound clips guys? i'm anxious to hear
Old 10-22-2005, 12:27 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

V6 Magnaflow Sound Clips- http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...merican&id=947
GT Magnaflow Sound Clips- http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...merican&id=360
theres really no comparison there... if the v6 sounds like that... theres no way i'm even concitering getting exhaust unless someone shows me a better clip... thats just sad.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:49 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

i knwo this is going to sound stupid of me but i'm so lost... and sorry for posting like 5 things in a row... but i looked up GT Takeoffs and didnt find anything... now heres my stupid question: Is "GT Takeoff" a brand... or is it the actual system off of a GT/ stock GT parts?
Old 10-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Torkfastback
1st Gear Member

GT Takeoff means that some guy with a GT changed out his exhaust and now has the original GT exhaust that he took off for sale. You can buy "Axel Back" which means that all you are getting is the mufflers (parts behind the axel). Or you can buy "Cat-backs" which means you are also getting the long pipes that go over the axel. Because they are original Ford, that fit great and are Manderal bent. Basically, you can buy a "Cat back GT Takeoff" from someone on Ebay, I just bought my entire catback GTs for $105 which included shipping. You will then need to buy the drivers side Ford hangers (DO NOT TRY TO HAVE THEM MADE). Southwest Ford (Texas) will charge you about $80 which includes the shipping. Once you get the Cat back (2 mufflers and 2 over axel pipes) you can take them to an exhaust guy to have your old system cut out and the new system installed (about $100). I suggest an H pipe which most exhaust guys can weld together pretty easy. I would suggest welding the section where the GT pipes connect up to your cats, and then just use the clamp setup for the mufflers. This will allow you to change the mufflers to magna, ABL, or whatever if you choose to at a later time. There is also a great "x pipe" new on ebay that you can use if you do not want to manufacter the H pipe. It costs $75 delivered. Will also need to cutout your V6 bumper...lots of threads on this with pictures. Or you can get a new rear GT bumper from Casco. By the way, Casco can sale you the GT bumper already in your car color and the GT takeoffs for around $350 delieverd.

Good luck...

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:54 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

wow... thanks man, i feel enlightened lol. No questions... thanks again and its been a big help.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster GT mufflers vs. GT take off's