Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Diff between H-pipe & X-pipe/ Grill Replacements/CAI

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 10:17 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Default Diff between H-pipe & X-pipe/ Grill Replacements/CAI

Can some one explain to me the diff between a H&X pipe? Does one give more horse & torque? Does one give a diff sound? Im really clueless as too what the difference is between the two. Im going to be getting headers & exhaust a little after the holidays pass. My choice right now is JBA they have a True dual exhuast set up with a H-pipe plus they have have headers too. Does any one know of any other true dual set ups for the 2005 Mustang v6? Does borla make one? OH and does any body have any sound clips besides that one guys with the JBA's Y pipe & Headers? I'm dying to here what these true dual 40 series flowmaster sounds like. Nobody posts any sound clips? Im looking for less ricest sound. I had Magnaflow on my 85 Camaro 2.8L from the Manifold back plus the cat was replaced too. that sounded pretty good was looking to go with something different this time though. I know its a 6 but does anyone know what what give the deepest/hollowest sound. Even if you've had a friend with a 2004 3.8L what was on it? I would love the imput & SOUNDCLIPS please if anyone else has any, the sites of all these exhuasts dont have no sound clips.

The grill. Has anyone replaced there Grills with those custom alluminum ones? Is it easy? Cause when I got my car it had the upper grill but it came with no bottom grill for some reason. Seen some of the GT's like this too. I cant find a stock bottom grill for the life of me. So Im thinking about replacing both meybe with those custom aluminum but I want to keep my emblem (Mustang) Do you got to take off the bumper? It kinda looks hard

CAI Do you haft to tune the K&N CAI's? Will the Check engine light come on if you dont tune it? Does some one know of any good CAI's that get good HP & TQ that dont need a tune or are optional for a tune?

Thank you for your time.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Its A Stang Thang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Diff between H-pipe & X-pipe/ Grill Replacements/CAI

ORIGINAL: ricklmesa@***.net

Can some one explain to me the diff between a H&X pipe? Does one give more horse & torque? Does one give a diff sound? Im really clueless as too what the difference is between the two. Im going to be getting headers & exhaust a little after the holidays pass. My choice right now is JBA they have a True dual exhuast set up with a H-pipe plus they have have headers too. Does any one know of any other true dual set ups for the 2005 Mustang v6? Does borla make one? OH and does any body have any sound clips besides that one guys with the JBA's Y pipe & Headers? I'm dying to here what these true dual 40 series flowmaster sounds like. Nobody posts any sound clips? Im looking for less ricest sound. I had Magnaflow on my 85 Camaro 2.8L from the Manifold back plus the cat was replaced too. that sounded pretty good was looking to go with something different this time though. I know its a 6 but does anyone know what what give the deepest/hollowest sound. Even if you've had a friend with a 2004 3.8L what was on it? I would love the imput & SOUNDCLIPS please if anyone else has any, the sites of all these exhuasts dont have no sound clips.

There's a extremly small differnce in sound and performance,its personal preference. You really dont need headers as the stock ones are very well made by Ford. I dont really know of any other true dual systems other than the JBA one, but I'm going true duals with X pipe, Hi flow Cats, and American Thunder Flowmasters for my car, local muffler place doing it for me. Theres a few sound clips floating around right now, just search. Deepest, hollowest sound? Flowmasters, JBA, Borla, SLP, Magnaflows, All do the job.

The grill. Has anyone replaced there Grills with those custom alluminum ones? Is it easy? Cause when I got my car it had the upper grill but it came with no bottom grill for some reason. Seen some of the GT's like this too. I cant find a stock bottom grill for the life of me. So Im thinking about replacing both meybe with those custom aluminum but I want to keep my emblem (Mustang) Do you got to take off the bumper? It kinda looks hard

I've replaced mine with teh GT Conversion kit, with fog light bezels, and corral. Takes about an hour or less. No taking off of the bumper, its very easy, remove a few parts under the hood, and pull the grille out, then replace it. For the aluminum ones you are talking about, it installs over your factory grille, as for keeping your emblem, talk to Prof Wiz. he shaved his emblem off and installed it on top of the aluminum grille.

CAI Do you haft to tune the K&N CAI's? Will the Check engine light come on if you dont tune it? Does some one know of any good CAI's that get good HP & TQ that dont need a tune or are optional for a tune?

Do you have to tune K&N, I'm not sure but I think it will make the check engine light go on, most CAIs need a tune, or recomend a tune, otherwise the computer goes crazy, plus the resulting performance incrase is 100% better with a tune.

Hopefully I helped you out, sorry for some of my vague descriptions, but as I've only changed my grille out, I couldnt tell you much. I'm 16 and jsut trying to get my money together for my own list of mods that includes, tints, lowering springs, supercharger, duals, pulleys, CAI, and many other things. I'm into mechanics, so thats where my interest comes from. Hope I was of some kind of assitence. Good luck with your car!!!

-Ryan

Thank you for your time.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:53 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

H pipes are usually deeper, and make the exhaust sound more muscle car like. X pipes are usually for those who are going for performance and power adders. I have done the grille swap out, you may want to look at street scene and some others.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:05 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

as for what brands for the duals, go with the jba ones, they sound much less ricey than magnaflows, there are a lot of posts with sound clips

i know there are many grills made for the v6, just look around a bit, i can give you some links if you want

as for the k&n, no tune is needed but w/o one it only produces around 7rwhp, if you go with the AFE you will get around 12, the best is the MMR one which gets around 18 (but it costs $100 more than the other ones)
the steeda one gets 30 but requires a reflash, but there are a lot of steeda places that will do it for you

hope it helps
Old 10-24-2005, 04:39 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

I have the K&N CAI, and it has never set the engine light once. They guarantee it not to.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:39 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

I recently purchased the AEM Brute Force CAI. I felt a noticeable difference especially in the high rpm's and it "seems" to be shifting a bit quicker (my Stang is an automatic). Overall i'm very pleased with the intake and looks really awesome under the hood. As for the check engine light.....no problems here. Hasn't gone off and nothing has flipped out yet (hopefully nothing ever will). From what i've read.....no Intake will give you much of a difference over the other performance wise. i was about to get the K&N kit until i found a combo deal from rpmoutlet.com that gave the AEM CAI & Predator Tuner for $490. That was the main reason for my purchase and the look of the metal intake tube looks better in my opinion. gonna get pics posted very soon. Some other post in this forum has some pics of their AEM intake installed if you're interested in seeing what it looks like. If you're wondering about the tuner.....my car is currently not tuned yet with the only mod being the CAI. Apperantly Diablo is working on a new update to the software on the tuner so that it is compatible with "EVERY" 2006 V6. I got a little assed out with my tuner but Diablo assured me that the issue will get resolved so i'm now i'm just waiting and hoping.[&:]
Old 10-24-2005, 09:41 PM
mtal1259
1st Gear Member

I did the AEM CAI, did not have to have it tuned, did not see any "check engine" light or have any other problems. But after a week, I bought the XCAL2, and have it dyno-tuned at a local shop. $490 is a great price for the CAI and tuner, but I dont know much about the Diablo, only heard that there were problems with the V6. I paid about $900 for my CAI and tuner with the dyno tune, so I guess I paid too much, but who knows, maybe the dyno-tune on my specific car is better than the "generic tune" you buy through the mail. I am sure every car is a "little" different, plus I have 20-inch wheels, so that "might" make some difference. But I am not a mechanic, so I dont mind paying a few $100 bucks to let the pro's do it. I also have the Magnaflow Cat-back dual exhaust, and I love it too!

Getting Eibach Sportline springs put on tomorrow (1.6 inch rear, 2.0 inch front drop). Should make my 20's look a bit better!

[IMG]local://upfiles/21823/DD79A40116A5481185E281A1143C2939.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-24-2005, 10:38 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Well I decided to go with MMR's CAI. It's rated at 18rwhp with out a tune. (18 rwhp with tune most likly I just cant see any CAI kit with a HP gain over 10,11 HP) I eventually want to get it tuned anyways after a few more mod's.

Speaking of, how come you guys buy a tuner & then pay a shop to tune it for you? Do the shops charge you more if you dont have your own tuner?
I just dont see the point of buying a tuner unless Im gunna do it for free after I spend the $400.00, why would I want to pay more? I have not looked into too deep about this tuning thing. Is it something I want to do after every mod? Or can I just get it tuned once after I put all my mods on the car? It would seem like a pest to go & have it tuned after everything i do to it. After the CAI I plan to get a true dual system with headers not sure which. I heard some people talking about the MAF sensor & Throttle body, & meybe the a rear gear diff limited slip and some pullys and that would be about it. ( all over time of course) MSD IGNITion too meybe

If yall could enlighten me about this tuning and the best way to go about it like getting it tuned after every mod or getting it tuned at once at the end I would appreciate it thank you