Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Aftermarket Parts/Warantee

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 07:58 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default Aftermarket Parts/Warantee

Okay, every time i talked to the people at my local dealership (also the same place i bought my car) they tell me that doing things like buying a GT front bumper and having them install it, getting dual exhaust, putting pretty much anything on my car will void my warantee.

Now... my mom bought an extended warantee... so i got 5 years to wait before it expries. THis poses a problem

However this also poses a problem: theres a law that says a company cannot void your warantee for adding aftermarket parts to your car, just part of it.

So heres my question(s):
-What could swaping out my stock v6 front end for a GT bumper do to my warantee?
-What could they void on my warantee for GT Takeoff exhaust being put in?
-same question for the Shaker Hood Scoop System.

Any help/comments would be greatly appriciated!
Old 10-25-2005, 08:48 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Aftermarket Parts/Warantee

talk to your dealership before doing anything to make sure they are aware of that law
because if something does go wrong with your car and they refuse to replace parts, you will probably need to take them to court...not fun

anyways, putting in the gt bumper should not make any problems, because if you needed to get a part replaced, you could throw on your stock one in not much time

for the gt take-offs (if they are cat-back) you would have needed to weld them on, so they would probably figure that one out pretty quickly, but if you get jba ones (which are also true duels) you wounldnt need to weld so you could take them off w/o them being able to tell

for the shaker hood scoop (i dont think there is one out for the v6 yet anyways) you would need to cut a hole in your hood to make it stick out, so they would definitly see that (unless you bought another hood and used that one for the shaker, then put the original one back on when you took it back to the dealership)
Old 10-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

There are a ton of posts/threads related to this. If the modifciation did not cause the failure of the part that is being replaced/repaired under warranty, IT DOES NOT VOID THE WARRANTY. They can however deny the coverage of the specific aftermarket part.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61713

[sm=closed.gif]
Old 10-25-2005, 09:30 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

alrighty... thank you very much... people are so helpful
Old 10-25-2005, 09:53 PM
MustangScott
1st Gear Member

They will not warranty the parts, and if something goes wrong, they have to prove it was an aftermarket part before they can void (JUST THAT) part of the warranty.
I'm of the Opinion to say screw my warranty. Cash in my extended warranty, go with geico's warranty style coverage for a few bucks extra a month.
The warranty is only if something fails in your car through no misuse on your part, or if something fails because of a defect. Damned thing is new. I'll take my chances with geico's policy. (I dont know what they call it, but they told me it is almost like a dealership warranty)