Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Removing door molding on my 07 mustang, have question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 10:18 AM
Xenokai

Default Removing door molding on my 07 mustang, have question.

I recently got a nice red 07 v6 mustang, it has a rebuilt title so it may of been repainted or had a door painted. The car looks great but I believe the drivers door was maybe replaced and repainted but I cant really tell. I really want to remove the side molding because Im just not a fan of the look they give the car.

Im wondering if I do remove the molding if the paint wont match, do they usaully remove molding before painting stuff like this and replace the molding over the new paint? Ive tryed to look around the molding and it looks stock to me but would like to hear some others input or tips on checking this stuff.

Im thinking if I remove it and it looks like the wrong color maybe I could re-apply a new piece of molding or reuse that one. Also in general does removing moldings like this usaully leave a more non fainted outline in the paint? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:02 AM
svastano
4th Gear Member

I would be very hesitant to remove a molding that was 10 plus years old on the car. Most likely the paint has faded some and you will see the outline of the molding that was removed.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:30 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

yeah, it will faded & probably have dirt/dust/water staining...
& if you remove & repaint,
the paint won't match the rest ofthe car probably...
Old 03-14-2018, 06:06 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Door moldings were common on rental cars. Some opted to have the optional moldings when ordering but that was usually rare. Unfortunately due to the car's age, if you take the moldings off you will have a ghost stripe. There were some owners who took them off and tried to cover it up with stripes but it looked funny. What color is your car? Was it repainted recently?
Old 03-14-2018, 06:17 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Well, if it was done right, the molding would have been removed to repaint the door.
That's not always the case though.

What color is your car?
I recently got a nice red 07 v6 mustang...
Wow...
Old 03-14-2018, 07:03 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
Well, if it was done right, the molding would have been removed to repaint the door.
That's not always the case though.

Wow...
OK, so I missed the RED. Geez, I have only been up since 4:30 am. The reason I asked, If the car recently has been painted, then there is a chance that the molding could be taken off and have the doors painted only and it "should" match the rest of the car. Don't be so rude next time.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:05 AM
Xenokai

Thanks for all the replys, yeah it is a bright red color. Unsure if it was repainted or not. The molding on the right side door has faded a bit. If I remove it slowly and not destroy the strip maybe I can reuse it with some fresh 3m?

Not sure if a ghost strip would be worse then the ugly molding or not. Wish there was more tutorials on youtube on this subject.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:45 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I have read on here how guys have removed it. They used fishing line and a heat gun. I would be extra careful with the heat gun and not let it sit too long in one spot. Yeah I agree that the door moldings were an epic fail as far as exterior design. Try doing a search on here.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:37 PM
Xenokai

For Refrence here is a pictrure of the car and its molding im talking about...
Old 03-16-2018, 03:09 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Torch red, same as mine, no molding though...

Quick Reply: Removing door molding on my 07 mustang, have question.