Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rear side Markers are out even after Bulbs replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 10:49 AM
Xenokai

Default Rear side Markers are out even after Bulbs replaced?

Anyone know what may be wrong? My brake lights all work fine but my rear bumper lights are out. Is there a fuse just for those lights? Or is there a bigger issue? Thanks
Old 05-04-2018, 11:25 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Depends....

Corrosion in the plug is one issue. Spanned contacts is another.
I usually put a dental tool behind the contacts to push them closer together
so they make better contact with the bulb base.

If the rear parking lights are on, then there should be power to those fixtures.
The wires run up to the rear tail lights, so trace back if you have to...
Old 05-04-2018, 11:45 AM
Xenokai

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
Depends....

Corrosion in the plug is one issue. Spanned contacts is another.
I usually put a dental tool behind the contacts to push them closer together
so they make better contact with the bulb base.

If the rear parking lights are on, then there should be power to those fixtures.
The wires run up to the rear tail lights, so trace back if you have to...
Thanks for the reply, so I was digging on google and I ran across this thread.... http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...light-out.html

It meantions a harness plug in the RH rear side near the tail light for the side markers and plate lights.. Quote here....

"All three of those things are on a wiring connector near the RH tailamp, inside the trunk. You must remove the large black plastic panel at rear of trunk to get at this connector. There are two connectors there, next to eachother. One goes to RH tailamps. The other connector next to it is for these three things, both rear side markers, and the license lamp. Connector has red wires, green wires, a black wire. Maybe this connector is not connected ? Could be if body repairs were made. check this lst and get back to me if this is not the problem. there are also two black ground wires in this same area of trunk...but they go to other things also, so most likely not a ground problem.

My rear trim is kinda loose so I peeked into it and sure enough there is a plug that is not plugged up just like the picture the guy posted in that thread. I couldn't see the plug that connects to it from the small opening. Ill need to remove the panel and ATM I can't due to rain. I hope this is just a simple fix and not something bad.

This isnt my picture this is the same plug that isn't connected on my car as well. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...130_130439.jpg

Last edited by Xenokai; 05-04-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:45 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Replacing mine with LEDs. Fronts are done, got RED ones for the rear side markers..
Tails will be later...

Edit: LEDs work...

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 05-04-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Xenokai

Well I figured it out. The plug was not hooked up and was down inside the bumper cover. Managed to route it back up but it must of been wrapped around something because it would not reach the plug. So instead of the hassle of removing the cover I just cut the connector and made the cables longer and wire the connector back up. Now both side markers and plate light work. I wrapped it in black tape and wire loomed it and wire tide it, looks stock almost. xD

Last edited by Xenokai; 05-06-2018 at 02:04 PM.