Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 08:34 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharged

ORIGINAL: Puerto Rico 4.6

Hell yeah , busting 7.5s , talk about torque.

http://powerhouse411.com/catalog/ind...products_id=51

Does anyone know the pricing and date it will come out.
early next year, the price is not released yet, but we could safely say more than a s/c
Old 11-24-2005, 08:51 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

ORIGINAL: chrisc

I know power house is releasing a turbo for the v6 in january, it sounds worth the wait
www.powerhouse411.com
the test car (who posted on the forum here) ran the 1/4 in the 11's

...just to keep the options open
I got a ride in this car... IT WAS INSANE!!!!! LOL! 400RWHP! WOOHOO!!!

yea yea, rub it in!
Old 11-24-2005, 08:52 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

ORIGINAL: Puerto Rico 4.6

Hell yeah , busting 7.5s , talk about torque.

http://powerhouse411.com/catalog/ind...products_id=51

Does anyone know the pricing and date it will come out.
early next year, the price is not released yet, but we could safely say more than a s/c
from their website...

Pricing will be competitive with popular intercooled supercharger kits. Why use horsepower to make horsepower?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:35 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

scrming
Why use horsepower to make horsepower?
Just having some fun with you

The big argument a turbo snob will use is that turbos use "wasted" power from an engine, whereas superchargers have to tap the crank for their motive force. What they don't mention is that turbochargers raise the backpressure inside the cylinders. A *little* backpressure is good, as it helps with the scavenging effect that helps suck exhaust out of the tailpipe, but turbochargers contribute more than is actually helpful. The hot wheel turbine of a turbocharger slows down the exhaust gases (you didn't think kinetic energy was free, did you?), meaning that the engine has to work all the harder to complete its breathing cycle.

What they should really say is, "I like how it sounds when it spools up, and I like the way the blow-off valve sounds when I shift." Superchargers are usually a bit quieter than turbochargers, and don't usually need a blow-off valve. Instead, they use a bypass valve to zero out boost when the engine is at cruise or idle.

Turbo snobs often say, "Turbos make more peak power than superchargers. What good is that if your car is still gutless below 3,000RPM? This argument is also silly because you can tune an Eaton supercharger to run up to 30PSI. Parasitic power loss in an Eaton supercharger is usually around one horsepower. BFD.

Speaking of 30PSI, that's what the top-fuel dragsters run. And it comes from a supercharger, not a turbocharger. Know why? Top-fuel dragsters can't afford to have extra-restrictive exhaust systems.

Last, superchargers don't have to be "warmed up" or "cooled down," and many of them feature self-contained lubrication systems with oil that doesn't have to be changed for up to 100,000 miles of use. Turbochargers generally have to share oil with the engine, and many of them will die prematurely if they aren't given some time to warm up (engine exhaust gas is HOT!) and some time to cool down (rapid contraction is hard on the components).

I have been following Mike even e-mailed him will look at both systems and then decide. Scrming hey have read a few of your post sounds like you are thinking of getting off the bottle and go to a charger.

T
Old 11-24-2005, 11:12 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TJ

I have been following Mike even e-mailed him will look at both systems and then decide. Scrming hey have read a few of your post sounds like you are thinking of getting off the bottle and go to a charger.

T
give up the bottle? Naw.... nothing says you can't have both! hehehehe.....