Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which Exhaust???????

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 03:45 PM
RedAlertlb
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Which Exhaust???????

well mines is true dual magnaflows no h or x just straight pipe
Old 12-29-2005, 05:55 PM
jroth
1st Gear Member

did you have your bumper notched out or what? should I get a GT bumper? How does it look?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:49 AM
desperado331
1st Gear Member

If you are going to have true duals installed by an exhaust company, its definately worth adding an X-pipe while they are setting everything up. You can get a stand alone x-pipe and have it installed after the cats to keep everything street and emissions legal. I definately recommend the X-pipe over the H-pipe. The whole reason for these pipes is for more effective use of exhaust gas velocity and it has been proven that the x-pipe is more efficient. You will get HP gains as well. Any good exhaust company will notch out the other side of your bumper for the duals and it looks fine. Here is a picture of my first set up and I cut out my bumper myself and it was very easy:

I was fortunate enough to win GT front and rear bumpers and rocker covers in an Ebay auction for cheap and I put those on this past weekend. Here is what my Rear looks like now:

Now you have a look at both ways so you can make a decision. I hope this helps!
Old 12-30-2005, 02:20 AM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

I find the X vs. H thing a bit confusing so I questioned a dyno operator, SCT tuner guy I know who specializes in V6s about the difference between an X-pipe or H-pipe exhaust. He said there may be a bit more torque out of the H-pipe and a bit more HP out of the X-pipe. Either way he said the difference was fairly minimal, so unless you are going to do a lot of engine modifications it will probably really come down to which sound you like the best and which is most cost effective. Someone did a post on building an X-pipe system fairly inexpensively, I'll see if I can hunt it down for you.

BTW, desperado331, really nice effect with your signature.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:16 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

you guys dont read the previous posts >_< Look, with any v6- a dual exhaust system is not nessacary due to the firing pattern. So, if you opt to get duals, having an X or H will give you barely any difference in hp/tq- about the only thing it WILL effect is sound depth and intensity.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:18 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Yeah.... a remember when Magnaflow posted in the forums (maybe not this one... it was awhile ago!) about their dual exhaust system. There was a lot of talk and anticipation before they came out. Remember, there wasn't the selection out that we have now. They opted for the y-pipe. They said there was barely a difference with another type (h or x) pipe... just added expense.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:39 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

here is a thread i did on mine a while back

http://www.2005stang.com/viewtopic.p...r=asc&start=15
Old 12-30-2005, 11:13 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

jroth

I'm looking at the JBA, Maganaflow, and the BORLA. I want a deep V8 sound but I also would like the biggest tips possible. BORLA makes the 4" tip but can I just put a 4" on JBA or Maganaflow? Also, please tell me everything needed to put the H-pipe system on my car. Do I have to get new headders or anything? HELP>..

Other aftermarket mufflers should give you a deeper sound than the GT take-offs (and certainly more than the stock V6 muffler), but new mufflers won't make it sound like a V8; the two engines just don't sound the same (6 cyl vs. 8 cyl). I have a single GT take-off muffler on my V6, and I couldn't be happier with the improved sound (it sounds like a European performance car, instead of having a ricey sound). But that's my opinion - I didn't want something too loud having a convertible. Although I doubt there was much of a performance increase, it sounds faster! I think the GT muffler(s) on the V6 is a cheap, effective modification. However, I suspect that it wouldn't generate a deep enough sound that you are after.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:55 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: desperado331

If you are going to have true duals installed by an exhaust company, its definately worth adding an X-pipe while they are setting everything up. You can get a stand alone x-pipe and have it installed after the cats to keep everything street and emissions legal. I definately recommend the X-pipe over the H-pipe. The whole reason for these pipes is for more effective use of exhaust gas velocity and it has been proven that the x-pipe is more efficient. You will get HP gains as well. Any good exhaust company will notch out the other side of your bumper for the duals and it looks fine. Here is a picture of my first set up and I cut out my bumper myself and it was very easy:

I was fortunate enough to win GT front and rear bumpers and rocker covers in an Ebay auction for cheap and I put those on this past weekend. Here is what my Rear looks like now:

Now you have a look at both ways so you can make a decision. I hope this helps!
Beatiful job on your car man!!!
Old 12-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: afixer

here is a thread i did on mine a while back

http://www.2005stang.com/viewtopic.p...r=asc&start=15
That's the thread I was thinking about. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust???????