Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

$3k in small chunks or $4k blower....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Scrib
1st Gear Member

Default $3k in small chunks or $4k blower....

First off, many thanks to both 996r916sps (what's that mean, anyway? lol) and scrming for all the real-world info on getting numbers out of these 4.0's. Does anybody have any thoughts on the pros/cons of just spending the money up front and going with a blower? I like the low-end torque of a roots blower, and I'm close enough to Explorer Express to get one of their Eaton M-62 kits installed (http://www.explorerexpress.com/catal...ercharger.html). I haven't talked to them yet, but from their site it looks like they have some history with these applications. And, of course, the Eaton's a solid piece. One thing that comes to mind is the exaust system, as a free-flowing exaust system can really wake-up a blown motor - so there's another chunk of change. I'd also have to do the rear end, since the the open diff would be useless with the added torque - so maybe the blower solution is closer to $5k, total.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: $3k in small chunks or $4k blower....

I'd go straight for the blower if I were you. That X-Charger is going to be an M90 btw. From what I understand, dual exhaust won't really help you that much on a V6, even with a blower. An LSD and gears would definitely be worth it though.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:47 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jimp

I'd go straight for the blower if I were you. That X-Charger is going to be an M90 btw. From what I understand, dual exhaust won't really help you that much on a V6, even with a blower. An LSD and gears would definitely be worth it though.
Definitely!!! I second the notion!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:48 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

I put true dual's with an x pipe on my stang and it really helped it in the higher rpm's.

I don't have a dyno but from what I feel there is no loss what so ever, only gains.

I feel a true dual will help any v'd moter v6, v8, the gains might not be much over single but I feel it's worth it.

going for gears,tlok, and my tune next, then meybe an underdrive pulley then I save for the Supercharger.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:55 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scrib

First off, many thanks to both 996r916sps (what's that mean, anyway? lol) and scrming for all the real-world info on getting numbers out of these 4.0's. Does anybody have any thoughts on the pros/cons of just spending the money up front and going with a blower? I like the low-end torque of a roots blower, and I'm close enough to Explorer Express to get one of their Eaton M-62 kits installed (http://www.explorerexpress.com/catal...ercharger.html). I haven't talked to them yet, but from their site it looks like they have some history with these applications. And, of course, the Eaton's a solid piece. One thing that comes to mind is the exaust system, as a free-flowing exaust system can really wake-up a blown motor - so there's another chunk of change. I'd also have to do the rear end, since the the open diff would be useless with the added torque - so maybe the blower solution is closer to $5k, total.
I wanted more power and i wanted it right then and there... the S/C and T/C market really weren't there... so I spent $1000 on a complete Zex setup... I then did the other mods I needed to do, like T-Lok, LCA,Tires.... Now the F/I market is starting to mature a little bit... still a few more products that need to come in to production... then I'll take a more serious look at F/I... in the mean time I'll enjoy my 370RWTQ at 2500RPMs..... LOL!
Old 01-04-2006, 01:09 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

ORIGINAL: Scrib

I wanted more power and i wanted it right then and there... the S/C and T/C market really weren't there... so I spent $1000 on a complete Zex setup... I then did the other mods I needed to do, like T-Lok, LCA,Tires.... Now the F/I market is starting to mature a little bit... still a few more products that need to come in to production... then I'll take a more serious look at F/I... in the mean time I'll enjoy my 370RWTQ at 2500RPMs..... LOL!
I like your approach, personally I want to see what the turbo market looks like for our cars this year.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Scrib
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

in the mean time I'll enjoy my 370RWTQ at 2500RPMs..... LOL!
Can't argue with that number! [sm=gears.gif]